Gwendolen C. Lesh McLeod
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Frederick, MD
As co-founder and partner of Haspel, McLeod & Drawbaugh, P.C., Gwendolen C. Lesh McLeod is known as one of Maryland's foremost family law attorneys. She represents clients in all types of family law issues, including divorce, child custody, support, property distribution, and domestic violence issues. Ms. McLeod frequently handles contested child custody cases, and is often appointed by the courts to represent children in such contested custody matters. She also is a able to resolve difficult issues outside of the courtroom as a mediator and a certified Parent Coordinator. She is also trained in collaborative law.
Her firm has offices in both Frederick, Montgomery, and Washington counties. The Rockville office is located at 51 Monroe Street, Suite 507, Rockville, Maryland 20850. Appointments can be scheduled through the Rockville office, the number which is 301-424-8841, or the Frederick office, the number which is 301-631-0592 x 112. Ms. McLeod practices a significant amount of time in both offices and is very familiar with the judges and magistrates in both Court systems.
Born in London, England, Ms. McLeod now resides in Frederick County, Maryland and represents clients in Montgomery and Frederick counties. After graduating from St. Mary's College of Maryland, she went on to receive her law degree from Duquesne University School of Law. She is admitted to practice law in the State of Maryland, in the District of Columbia and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Ms. McLeod's exemplary work in her field has resulted in her receiving numerous recognitions and leadership opportunities by her peers. In addition to receiving the top rating of AV-Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell, she has been recognized as a top family law attorney in the Washington, D.C. area from The Washingtonian, Super Lawyers and is on the Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers. She was also a member of the Commission on Child Custody Decision-Making, Court Processes Committee.
Ms. McLeod has great compassion for the rights of children, and she takes pride in using her skills to help clients reach the most agreeable resolutions in their cases. In the event a resolution cannot be reached out of Court, she is an excellent litigator who gets positive results for her clients in Court as well. She belongs to various bar associations including but not limited to the Frederick County Bar Association, the Montgomery County Bar Association, the Maryland Trial Lawyers Association, and the Women's Bar Association. She is also the chairperson of the Frederick County Family Law Bar and has been a presenter for trainings for mediation and for attorneys who represent children.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 80%Family Law
- 20%Alternative Dispute Resolution
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights, Mediation
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2009, 2015 - 2023
About Gwendolen C. Lesh McLeod
First Admitted: 1989, Maryland
Professional Webpage: http://www.wefight4u.com/attorneys/mcleod/
- Frederick County Family Law Bar, Chairperson
- Maryland, 1989
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association, Family Law Section, 1989 - Present
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association, 1989
- Member of the Commission on Child Custody Decision-Making Court Processes Committee, 2014
- District of Columbia, 1990
- Member, Frederick County Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- Member, Maryland State Women's Bar Association
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 1992
- Member, Montgomery County Bar Association, 1989 - Present
- Preeminent Attorney, Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2010 - 2014
- Recipient, Second Annual Pro Bono Service Award, Montgomery County Bar Association, 1993
- Top Family Law Attorney, Washingtonian Magazine, 2007
- Divorce and Family Law, Seminar at the Women's Commission, 2008
- Divorce and Family Law, Family Law Seminar, 2006
- Malik v. Malik, Md.App., 638 A.2d 1184, 1994
- Hosain v. Malik, Md.App., 671 A.2d 988, 1996
- St. Mary's College of Maryland, B.A. in English, 1985
Pro bono/Community Service
- Pro bono service in Frederick County and Montgomery County
- Certified as a Parent Coordinator, 2020
Last Updated: 7/21/2022