Mary E. O'Byrne
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Lutherville-Timonium, MD
Attorney Mary E. O'Byrne is the founder and owner of O'Byrne Law, LLC, in Timonium, Maryland. A top-rated and award-winning lawyer with more than 21 years of total legal experience, Ms. O'Byrne provides invaluable counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Baltimore metro region and all across the state who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Estate planning, wills and trusts
· Special needs planning and special needs trusts
· Elder law
Prior to her legal career, Ms. O'Byrne worked in the health insurance and managed care industries. However, she soon realized that she would find a much greater reward helping individuals and families in need. She then became a lawyer and focuses her practice in special needs and estate planning, and elder law. She has achieved remarkable success assisting people with disabilities and others to obtain and preserve financial security and independence.
Over the past 20 years, Ms. O'Byrne has become a recognized leader in her practice areas, and she routinely conducts lectures and continuing legal education seminars across her region on a variety of legal topics related to estate planning, elder law and special needs planning. Moreover, she also accepted an appointment to serve on the Governor’s Task Force on ABLE Accounts, and she has led the Special Needs Trust Advocates group in meetings with the Social Security Administration.
In addition, Ms. O'Byrne has served on the adjunct legal faculty at the University of Baltimore School of Law, and she is an active member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Special Needs Alliance, where she currently sits on the board of directors. She is also board member and past president of NAMI Metropolitan Baltimore. She is a member of the Baltimore County Bar Association and the Maryland State Bar Association, among her other professional affiliations.
A 1978 graduate of Yale University, Ms. O'Byrne received her master's degree from The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, in 1985 and her Juris Doctor from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1998, where she graduated Order of the Coif. She has received the Chapter Member of the Year Award, Maryland, from the MD/DC Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and she has received consistent top rankings and endorsements from her peers for her outstanding professionalism and legal abilities.
About Mary E. O'Byrne
First Admitted: 1999, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.obyrnelawoffice.com/about
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys MD-DC chapter. Named Chapter Member of the Year, 2011
- Maryland, June, 1999
- Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Trusts and Special Needs Trust section, Member, Section steering committee
- Member, Baltimore Country Bar Association
- Member, Governor's Able Act Task Force, 2015
- Member, Maryland Bar Association, Elder law and Disability Rights section
- Member, Special Needs Alliance; President-elect; Board of Directors, 2019 - present.
- University of Baltimore School of Law, Adjunct professor
- Super Lawyers in 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- Chapter Member of the Year, NAELA (National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys) MD/DC Chapter, 2011
- University of Maryland School of Law, Order of the Coif, 1998
Pro bono/Community Service
- Murray Hill Community Association, Vice-President, 2015-2017
- First Maryland Disability Trust, First Executive Director and Trustee
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Metro Baltimore, Board Member, 2013-2019; Vice President 2018-2019; President 2019-2020.
- Appointed to the Governor's ABLE Act Task Force., 2015
- Planned Parenthood of Maryland (PPM), Board Member, 1990-1995 and 2004-2006.
- Yale College, B.A., Majors: History, 1978
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Masters of Business Administration, 1985
- Special Needs Alliance; National Academy Of Elder Law Attorneys
Last Updated: 6/28/2022