Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Rockville, MD
As founder and principal attorney at Altman & Associates, Gary has been practicing estate planning serving the Washington metropolitan area for more than 25 years. A boutique law firm, the firm practices exclusively in estate. He works closely with his clients and their team of advisors to formulate innovative, practical and highly individualized estate plans to minimize the challenges of transfer of wealth. Gary works with his clients through their changing lives and goals, addresses new tax laws federal and state to protect assets. He focuses his practice on matters regarding estate planning, estate, probate and trust administration, tax and business succession planning, special needs planning, asset protection and retirement planning. In addition, the firm handles powers of attorney, advance medical directives, pre-and post-nuptial agreements.
After earning a Bachelor of Science from Wesleyan University, Mr. Altman went on to receive a Juris Doctor from the New York University School of Law in 1980. He later graduated with a Master of Laws in taxation from Georgetown University Law Center in 1992. As a certified financial planner, he understands how to address issues such as tax implications and inheritance. Gary is a founding member of the Academy of Special Needs as well.
For his achievements, Mr. Altman has earned the highest rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell; and he has received an Avvo "Superb" rating.
A nationally recognized estate, legacy and business planning authority, Gary's "outstanding expertise, trustworthiness and commitment to his clients' needs" has earned him recognition by Washingtonian and Bethesda magazine as among the DC region's "Best Estate Planners" multiple times. He has been honored as a "Top 100 Attorney by Worth magazine and recognized as a Maryland and Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer since 2007.
Widely sought for his legal opinion, Mr. Altman has appeared in national media outlets such as The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal. Gary has taught and lectured serving as the Adjunct Professor for Estate Planning for Certified Financial Planners for two Universities, the last being 5 years at Georgetown University.
An active member in the community and in the ield of financial management, Gary has served as the President and Chairman of the National Capital Area Financial Planning Association, Past President and Chairman for NAIFA. He has also served as the President and Chairman and currently serves on the Board of Hope Connections, a non-profit for cancer support. Gary is often asked and serves as a Fiduciary Expert Witness in Trust, Estate and Investment Management Litigation.
* AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 80%Estate Planning & Probate
- 10%Estate & Trust Litigation
- 10%Tax: Business
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills, Will Contests, Tax Law
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2023
About Gary Altman
First Admitted: 1980, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: https://altmanassociates.net/gary-altman/
- Adjunct Professor, Estate Planning for Certified Financial Planners, Florida Institute of Technology, Alexandria, Virginia campus, 1997 – 2004 Adjunct Professor, CFP Georgetown University
- Washingtonian Magazine, "Top Financial Advisor – Estate Planning", 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Avvo "Top Estate Planning Attorney"
- Norma Severns Leadership Award, National Capital Chapter of the Financial Planning Association, 2008
- Best Lawyers "Trust and Estate Law" Nominee
- "Top 100 Attorney" in the Country by Worth Magazine, 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Martindale Hubbell "Preeminent, Top Rated Attorney"
- Wesleyan University, Connecticut, Bachelor of Science
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia, L.L.M., Major: Taxation, 1992
- Certified Financial Planner, 1988
- Gary is licensed to practice law in Virginia and New York since 2016., 1992
- National Capital Chapter of Financial Planning, President and Former Chairman
- District of Columbia Estate Planning Council
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors
- District of Columbia Bar Association, 1980
- The Greater Bethesda and Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce
- U.S. Tax Court
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Founding Member, The Academy of Special Needs
- Member, Bar of Maryland
- Steering Committee of the DC Bar Estates, Trusts, Probate Law Section
- Dicstric of Columbia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Financial Planning Association Chapter Leadership Council
- Wealth Counsel Advisors Forum
- Maryland, New York, Virginia, 1992
Pro bono/Community Service
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, STEP, 2010
- Former Trustee of The Doris M. Carter Family Foundation, 2009
- Investment Committee of Temple Emanuel of Maryland Rabbi Cal Endowment Fund/Former
- Investment Committee of the St. John's Community Services Foundation
- Will the Biden administration succeed in passing new tax legislation this time around? Here's what we know about th… https://t.co/QJTh0vvcpl
- The Celebration of Hope Gala was made extra special by musical performances from our dear friend & fellow… https://t.co/EBUL1TDuag
- Tackling a DIY home improvement project is one thing, but drafting your own legal documents is another. Mistakes ar… https://t.co/MBZRG4CRG9
- If you're invested in cryptocurrency, it's critical to understand how the asset will be taxed. Laws are constantly… https://t.co/YRaUHJr3UW
- Life just got easier for clients with deposits in Revocable and Irrevocable Trusts thanks to a new FDIC rule that w… https://t.co/PWmptaGOKq
Last Updated: 6/28/2022