Howard B. Hoffman
Top Rated Employment Litigation Attorney in Rockville, MD
The founder of Hoffman Employment Law, LLC, Howard B. Hoffman handles a variety of matters relating to that practice area. He represents clients throughout the state of Maryland from the firm’s offices in Rockville. Admitted to practice in Maryland since 1999, Mr. Hoffman is additionally admitted to practice in Virginia and the District of Columbia as well as before the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Mr. Hoffman divides his labor and employment representation between companies and employees. With regard to the latter, he has helped them with their pursuit of claims involving workplace sexual harassment, wage and hour violations, including minimum wage and overtime, and discrimination that is prohibited by a variety of federal and state laws.
Mr. Hoffman additionally represents employers of all sizes, working with them on human resources issues and other matters. He has prepared and reviewed employee manuals as well as a variety of contracts, including employment agreements, trade secrets and noncompete agreements. Mr. Hoffman has also appeared in state and federal courts as well as before agencies with respect to claims that have been filed against his clients involving wages, discrimination, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and harassment. He regularly provides training sessions for upper management on litigation risk avoidance and other topics, and he has helped companies with their employment immigration law compliance.
Mr. Hoffman has lectured and written extensively on topics related to his practice area. A graduate of what is now known as the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, he possesses a “Superb” peer review rating through Avvo.
- 20%Employment Litigation: Defense
- 30%Employment & Labor: Employer
- 20%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- 10%Immigration: Business
Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation, Employment Law - Employer, Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Labor Law
- Super Lawyers: 2016 - 2022
About Howard B. Hoffman
First Admitted: 1999, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.hoholaw.com/about/howard-b-hoffman-esquire
- State of Maryland, December, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2015
- Commonwealth of Virginia, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2010
- District of Columbia, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals (Fourth Circuit), 2004
- U.S. District Court of Maryland, 2000
- March 2014, Lorman Education Services, "Employee Handbooks in Maryland"
- Howard B. Hoffman, Consumer Bankruptcy Filers and Pre-Petition Consumer Credit Counseling: Is Congress Trying To Place The Fox In Charge of The Hen House?, 54 The Business Lawyer 1629 (August 1999) (published by the American Bar Association)
- Howard B. Hoffman, USERRA Requires All Employers To Provide Military Leave, The Maryland Daily Record (September 2001)
- Howard B. Hoffman, Ingrate Employee v. Cheapskate Employer: Let The Bonus Wars Begin, The Maryland Daily Record (March 2002)
- Howard B. Hoffman, Dances with Wolves: Ragsdale v. Wolverine Worldwide and The Life and Death Of A DOL Regulation, The Maryland Daily Record (April 2002)
- Howard B. Hoffman, Four Common Myths In Drafting Employee Handbooks, MSBA Bar Bulletin (June 2002)
- Howard B. Hoffman, Giving Employees One More Reasons to Complain: The New FLSA White-Collar Regulations, MSBA Bar Bulletin (January 2005)
- Contributing Revisions Editor: American Bar Association's Employment Litigation Handbook, 2007
- Contributing Revisions Editor: Fair Labor Standards Act (BNA/ABA), 2002—2016
- Contributing Revisions Editor: Age Discrimination in Employment Law (BNA/ABA), 2005—2006
- June 2000 / July 2001, Lorman Education Services, "Drafting The Employee Handbook"
- July 2000, Lorman Education Services, "Family and Medical Leave Act"
- June 2001, National Business Institute, "Human Resources Law"
- June 2002 / September 2002, Lorman Education Services, "Drafting Bonus and Commission Pay Plans"
- November 2004, Lorman Education Services, "Ring Around The White Collar: Understanding The FLSA (New and Old)"
- February 2005, Lorman Education Services, "Employee Handbooks in Maryland: Everything You Need to Know To Keep You Out of Trouble"
- June 2007, Sterling Education Services, "Immigration and Employment Law Update: Hiring and Retaining Foreign and Domestic Workers"
- June 2008, Lorman Education Services, "Payroll Fundamentals"
- December 2012, Maryland Employment Lawyers Association, "Bringing Your First FLSA Collective Action: The Guts and Glory Of Overtime Wage Cases"
- Law Journal: Associate Editor, University of Maryland School of Law, The Business Lawyer (ABA Publication), 1998-1999
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, Juris Doctorate Candidate (1996-1997) (top 7% of first year class), Dean's Honor List: Fall 1996/Spring 1997
- University of Maryland at College Park, College Park, Maryland, Bachelor of Arts: Awarded 1992
- Recipient: Employment Law Prize, University of Maryland School of Law
- Recipient: Joseph Bernstein Prize (Excellence in Legal Writing), University of Maryland School of Law, 1999
- Williams et al. v. ezStorage Corp., 2011
- Dorsey et al. v. The Greene Turtle Franchising Corp., 2010 WL 3655544 (D. Md. 2010) (Blake, J.) (represented employees; grant of conditional certification of FLSA collective action)
- Rose v. New Day Financial, et al., 2011
- Miller v. Hamm, et al. 2011 WL 9185, 2011
- Durham v. Jones, US District Court Maryland (jury verdict of $1,112,200.00 in First Amendment retaliation case), 2012
- Andrew v. Clark, 561 F.3d 261 (4th Cir. 2009)
- Wyckoff v. Maryland State Police, 522 F.Supp.2d 730 (D. Md. 2007)
- Chapman et al. v. Ourisman Chevrolet Co., Inc., 2011 WL 2651867 (D. Md. 2011) (Williams, J.)
- @GovMikeHuckabee @elonmusk Your not a governor
- @RBReich The world’s richest is Putin and he is on a killing spree. That must be our first and foremost concern.
- @AdamKinzinger @AdamKinzinger do you think it was a mistake to withdraw Florida National Guardsman? Perhaps they… https://t.co/NAd7Znxlwh
- @robreiner We need an AG with some guts.
- @WalshFreedom The geriatric political class reminds me of the sickness we saw in the USSR with its geriatric leader… https://t.co/NSsYshtLbf
Last Updated: 5/15/2022