Stephen B. Mercer
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Rockville, MD
- Free Consultation
A practicing lawyer for RaquinMercer LLC, Stephen B. Mercer handles white collar crime cases throughout the Maryland and District of Columbia areas. He is also extensively involved in developing DNA and forensic science solutions for criminal cases and is actively involved in education, legislation and public commentary on the impact technology has on civil liberties and the reliability of forensic science.
Mr. Mercer led a successful effort before the D.C. Council and Maryland General Assembly to ban DNA databanks from familial searching. A member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, the American Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Maryland State Bar Association, the District of Columbia Bar and The Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland, Mr. Mercer has also taught on touch DNA complex mixtures to the Maryland Judicial Training Institute.
Admitted to practice in Maryland and the District of Columbia, Mr. Mercer graduated with a Juris Doctor from the University of the District of Columbia David A. Clarke School of Law in 1994. He was appointed by the governor to establish support for the Subcommittee on Forensic Science, to represent the Education, Ethics and Terminology Interagency Working Group of the state of Maryland and to address the United States President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology in 2016.
Mr. Mercer has been featured on media outlets such as MSNBC, PBS, ABC, HBO and CBS. For his DNA and forensic science litigation, he is widely known throughout appellate and trial courts in Maryland, and in 2002, he was involved in one of the most important criminal procedural cases taken before the United States Supreme Court, Maryland v. King.
- 40%Criminal Defense
- 20%Criminal Defense: White Collar
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Parole, Probation, Prosecution, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Appeals, Criminal Law - Federal
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2011, 2019 - 2022
About Stephen B. Mercer
First Admitted: 1995, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.raquinmercer.com/attorney/mercer-steve/
- Adjunct Professor at the David A. Clarke School of Law, teaches an advanced evidence class on scientific evidence
- Addressed by invitation the Maryland Judicial Training Institute on the topic of complex mixtures of touch DNA, the FBI’s national CODIS symposium on the privacy and racial justice implications of familial searching of DNA databanks, and addressed these same topics before the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, and the National Institute of Justice
- Addressed by invitation the United States President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) on issues related to the use of scientific evidence in criminal trials, 2016
- One of the nation’s top attorneys on the subject of complex mixtures of touch DNA
- Appeared on HBO Vice, the PBS program, Religion and Ethics News Weekly, MSNBC and ABC News
- Nationally recognized as a model of excellence in forensic science litigation
- CBS’s Sixty Minutes newsmagazine program
- B.A. English, Syracuse University, 1984
- Maryland, 1995
- District of Columbia, 1997
- DNA/Forensic Science
- What might you face in drug court? https://t.co/ihh4f0KUU1
- Can a forensic interview keep you from a wrongful conviction? https://t.co/3bjpeRuHG5
- What is “trace DNA” and how do investigators find it? https://t.co/9pA2Y5eauf
- What may help me when I file an appeal? https://t.co/dyrai9LW6e
- Are confessions always admissible? https://t.co/mXYniULHgd
Last Updated: 5/15/2022