Thomas M. Weschler, Jr.
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Rockville, MD
Thomas M. Weschler, Jr. became an associate attorney at Haspel & McLeod, P.C. in May 2009 and a Partner in January 2016. Tom was inspired to pursue a career in family law because of the experiences of close family members who underwent significant challenges in the family court system. Because of this, Tom strives to listen to all clients, to answer their questions, to help make them feel comfortable and to empower them throughout their cases. He does his very best to provide the compassion and attention each client needs, as he understands family law cases are highly charged emotionally and life-altering.
Tom handles domestic violence cases, complex separation and divorce cases, highly contested child custody and access disputes, alimony and child support cases, contempt and enforcement actions, as well as drafts pre-nuptial and separation and property settlement agreements.
A parent himself, Tom has also obtained his certifications in order to represent children in custody dispute cases, and on numerous occasions, has been appointed by the Court to do so in several jurisdictions.
Understanding that when parties are able to resolve their differences on their own, they are better able to craft an arrangement that better fits their needs and goals. Tom has been trained as a mediator and regularly attends mediation sessions with his clients. At these mediation sessions, he provides them with counsel, informing them of their rights and options, all in an effort to provide them with the necessary information in order to allow them to make the best decisions about their cases.
Beginning in 2014, Tom has been recognized as a Maryland Super Lawyer in Family Law. Tom is also a 2010 graduate of the Maryland State Bar Association’s Leadership Development Program. He has received the distinguished David Hjortsberg Award (2014), has served on the Maryland State Bar Association’s Board of Governors, and is a Fellow of the Maryland Bar Foundation. He currently sits on the executive committee of The Young Lawyers Section of the Maryland State Bar Association, and will Chair that section in 2015-2016.
A well-rounded professional, Tom stays apprised of the latest changes to the law and how those changes can impact his clients. With his knowledge and experience, he has also been invited to present to other attorneys and mental health professionals about family law matters and the judicial process and has served as a mentor through The Maryland Professionalism Center.
With deep roots in Montgomery County, Tom gives back to the community through pro bono work and volunteer activities. He represents clients through the local county pro bono offices, has accepted cases through Maryland Volunteer Legal Services (MVLS) and has assisted at the pro se help desk. He has also volunteered as a youth ice hockey coach, as well as with a regional animal rescue organization.
About Thomas M. Weschler, Jr.
First Admitted: 2005, Maryland
Professional Webpage: http://www.wefight4u.com/attorneys/weschler/
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association, Inc., Solo and Small Firm Section
- Howard County Bar Association
- Frederick County Bar Association
- Chair, Maryland State Bar Association, Inc., Young Lawyers Section, 2015-2016
- Elected, MSBA Board of Governors, Maryland State Bar Association, Inc., 2012 - 2014
- Member, Bar Association of Montgomery County, New Practitioners Section
- Maryland, 2005
- Maryland State Bar Association, Inc., Leadership Academy
- Mount St. Mary & College, B.S. in Political Science, 2000
- Certified Child Advocate Attorney, 2012
Other Outstanding Achievements
- MSBA Search Commitee for Executive Director, 2015
- The Daily Record, Leadership In Law Award, 2016
- The Daily Record, VIP List: Very Important Professionals, Successful by 40, 2016
- David Hjortsberg Award for Advancing the Quality of Practice and Professionalism of Solo and Small Firm Attorneys and for Demonstrating Civility and Professionalism, MSBA Solo and Small Firm Section, 2014
- MSBA, Edward F. Shea, Jr. Professionalism Award, 2016
Last Updated: 6/30/2022