Debra B. Cruz
Top rated family law attorney in Towson, MarylandLevin Gann PA
Attorney Debra B. Cruz is a principal with Levin & Gann in Towson, Maryland. Devoting the majority of her practice to family law and domestic relations, Ms. Cruz represents clients throughout the greater Baltimore metro region and Washington, D.C., who need top-notch, zealous advocacy for their legal challenges involving divorce, child custody and support, alimony, property division and other related matters.
Originally from Florida, Ms. Cruz began her legal career prosecuting and defending individuals and businesses with claims involving unfair business practices, negligence and contract disputes. Today, she continues to concentrate a portion of her practice on defending those facing environmental tort claims as well as prosecuting and defending other complex civil and commercial litigation.
An honors graduate of the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, Ms. Cruz obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. She was admitted to The Florida Bar and after practicing there for a few years, moved to Maryland and in 1991, received her license from both the Maryland State Bar Association and the District of Columbia Bar.
Trained in mediation, Ms. Cruz strives to help her clients resolve their conflicts without the need for court intervention; however, as an aggressive and tenacious litigator, she will not hesitate to fight hard on behalf of her clients' rights and best interests in court when necessary. From this outstanding commitment to those she serves, she has received numerous awards and honors throughout her career, and she holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell.
Active in her legal community, Ms. Cruz currently serves as an officer on the board for the Women's Bar Association of Maryland, Baltimore Carroll Chapter. She also serves on The Bar Association of Baltimore City Professional Ethics Committee, the Baltimore County Professionalism Committee, the Family Law Committees of both Baltimore City and Baltimore County, and on the Attorney Grievance Commission Peer Review Committee.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law, Insurance coverage, General litigation
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Bad faith insurance
- 70% Family law
- 20% Insurance coverage
- 10% General litigation
First Admitted: 1981, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.levingann.com/attorneys/debra-b-cruz/
- Elected to Top 100 lawyers and Top 50 Women Lawyers, Top 50: 2017 Women Maryland Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers
- Top 50 Women, Top 100 Lawyers, Super Lawyers , 2020
- Top 50: 2014 Women Maryland Super Lawyers
- Maryland Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2014
- Women's Law Center Judicare Project Volunteer
- Foxmoor Continuing Education, Practical Civil Litigation Skills for Paralegals, 2014
- Updated and revised Chapter 3 Child Support for case law and statutory developments in the last nine years; co-editor of book, Chapter 3 Child Support, Divorce and Separation Law 9th Edition, Maryland State Bar Association, Family Law, 2019
- Instructor at Live Stream Webinar on Hearsay Objections and Exceptions/Ethics, included Power point presentation, Presenter/Manual Contributor, Hearsay Objections and Exceptions, National Business Institute, General Litigation, 2019
- Presentation at seminar in December, 2019 on authentication of evidence, including social media evidence. Included written material for manual , Presenter/Manual Contributor, NBI Authenticating Evidence, National Business Institute, General Litigation, 2019
- Continuing Legal Education for Professionals Advanced Issues in Divorce, 2014
- This manual section discusses the investigative aspect of child abuse and neglect, Presenter/Manual Contributor, CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, LAW ENFORCEMENT INVESTIGATIONS AND REPORTS, National Business Institute, Family Law, 2020
- This manual section discusses Key Elements That Must Be Proven for parental alienation and/or abuse or neglect (Fam. Law Code 5-701) , Presenter/Manual Contributor, PROVING (OR DISPROVING) ALIENATION AND ABUSE, National Business Institute, Family Law, 2020
- Continuing Legal Education for Professionals Advanced Issues in Divorce, 2013
- Continuing Education Handling Divorce Cases From Start to Finish, 2011
- Maryland, 1991
- Professionalism Committee, Baltimore County, 2016 to present. Committee Chair 2018-2019. , 2019
- Family Law Committee, Baltimore County, 2018 to present, 2020
- Baltimore City Bar Association, Professional Ethics Committee, Member
- Baltimore Carroll Chapter of the Women's Bar Association Board, Member, 2014 - Present; chapter secretary 2018 and Treasurer 2019-20., 2020
- Baltimore City, Family Law Committee, Member former committee chair
- Member, Bar Association of Washington, D.C., family law section, 1991
- Maryland Peer Review Committee, Attorney Grievance Commission, Member, 2003 - Present, 2020
- Women's Bar Association of Maryland, Member, 2014 - Member of the Judicial Selections Committee since 2018, 2020
- American Registry's Most Honored Lawyers - top 1/% Martindale Hubbell's AV rating for highest professional and ethical standards, 2020
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
Office location for Debra B. Cruz
1 W. Pennsylvania
Towson, MD 21204
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2023