Walter Herbert has 34 years of experience representing clients in all areas of family law, including mediation and separation agreements, divorce, child custody and support, spousal support and property issues. In 2003 Mr. Herbert was selected to the MSBA Family & Juvenile Law Section Council, the premier family law policy-making group in the State of Maryland, and in June 2011 Mr. Herbert was selected, after many years in the leadership of this prestigious organization, to serve a one-year term as Chair of the Family Law Section of the MSBA. Mr. Herbert is currently a member of the Prince Georges County Bar Association Board of Directors.
In addition, Mr. Herbert has frequently lectured for CLE courses. Recently Mr. Herbert has lectured on "Custody Evaluations" and "Alimony Considerations" and has authored, or co-authored, many articles, including "Handling Child Relocation Cases." Mr. Herbert practices throughout Central and Southern MD and Northern VA.
First Admitted: 1987, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.herbertfamilylaw.com/attorney/herbert-walter-a-j...
- 1998-2004, Chair, Prince Georges County Bar Association Family Law Committee; 2003-2011, member, MSBA Family & Juvenile Section Council; June 2011-June 2012, Chair, MSBA Family & Juvenile Law Section; June 2012-June 2013, Immediate Past Chair, MSBA Family & Juvenile Law Section. 2020: Prince Georges County Bar Association Board of Directors
- 2012, Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation
- 1996, United Community Ministries, Alexandria, Virginia, Volunteer of the Year, for providing immigration and family law assistance to low income families. 2012, named Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation, 1996
- A discussion of the unique issues involved in the child "move-away" case., Author, "Some Thoughts on Handling Your Child Relocation Case", Maryland Bar Journal, 2006
- A discussion of paternity law in Maryland after a recent case., Author, "We All Make Mistakes...Disestablishing Paternity After Davis", Prince Georges County Bar NewsJournal, 2019
- A primer for attorneys who represent children in family law cases., Author, "Best Practices for the Best Interest Attorney", Maryland Bar Journal, 2009
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2023