Stanley A. Martin
Top rated Construction Litigation attorney in Andover, MassachusettsCommonsense Construction Law LLC
Stanley A. Martin is an attorney at Commonsense Construction Law LLC in Andover, Massachusetts. Mr. Martin handles matters involving construction law and government contracts, using both litigation and alternative dispute resolution techniques to help meet the legal goals of his clients. He serves clients throughout Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Mr. Martin has over 35 years of legal experience. He worked in the construction industry prior to attending law school and, as a lawyer, has worked on construction law projects throughout the United States. As a licensed attorney, he has litigated and arbitrated numerous complex construction law disputes, drawing on his knowledge of the industry to the benefit of his clients.
In 1977, Mr. Martin graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a bachelor’s degree in architecture. He earned his law degree from Boston College Law School in 1984. He holds a license to practice law before all Massachusetts and New Hampshire state courts, the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit.
As a member of his legal community, Mr. Martin has lectured extensively on construction law topics and taught classes at various universities. He is an author of several construction law articles and a fellow of the American College of Construction Lawyers.
In acknowledgment of his accomplishments, Martindale-Hubbell awarded Mr. Martin an AV Preeminent* peer review rating, its highest available. He was also recognized by Best Lawyers for construction law several years in a row. Mr. Martin has been ranked by Chambers in Band 1 for Construction. He has held leadership positions in many legal organizations and serves as an officer and board member of several community organizations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasConstruction Litigation: Business, Alternative Dispute Resolution, General Litigation, Government Contracts, Surety
Arbitration, Construction Defects, Litigation, Mediation
- 60% Construction Litigation: Business
- 10% Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 10% General Litigation
- 10% Government Contracts
- 10% Surety
First Admitted: 1985, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.commonsenseconst.com/about/stanley-a-martin/
- United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley (Real Estate and Building Industry Committee)
- Andover Committee For A Better Chance
- Edgewood Retirement Community
- Wilson Memorial Chapel
- Boston Architectural College
- Construction Law Handbook, 3rd Edition, Wolters Kluwer, Co-editor, 2018
- Project Delivery Systems for Construction, Associated General Contractors of America (contribution author, 2nd ed. 2004; commenter, 3rd ed. 2011)
- Construction Contract Damages chapter, Damages, Interest and Attorneys' Fees in Massachusetts Litigation, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), 1996 and 4th edition 2013
- Massachusetts chapter, Fifty-State Lien and Bond Manual, Wolters Kluwer, 1995-2020
- Northeast Region chapter, Construction Law Update, Wolters Kluwer, 1995-2020
- For the past twenty-six years, legal and business professionals in the construction law industry have eagerly anticipated the annual release of this best-selling guide. The Construction Law Update chronicles and communicates changes in the construction law industry. Comprised of twelve informative chapters -- each written by an expert or experts in the field -- the 2019 Edition offers these contributing authors' timely, practical analysis on many current issues in the construction law industry, Chapter Author, 2021 Construction Law Update, Wolters Kluwer, Construction, 2021
- Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, Fourth Edition is the first and only in-depth state by-state guide to the law and business of construction liens and bonds. This valuable two-volume reference covers not only the legal issues but also essential instructions and unique procedures for proper filing and follow through steps, Chapter Author, Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law, Wolters Kluwer, Construction, 2020
- MCLE's Damages, Interest, and Attorney Fees in Massachusetts Litigation is an essential resource for civil litigators seeking to assess the value of their cases and develop effective strategies for litigating damages, Chapter Author, Damages, Interest and Attorney Fees in Massachusetts Litigation, MCLE, Legal Profession, 2017
- Construction Law Handbook, Fourth Edition is a comprehensive, one-stop reference on the current state of the business of construction and construction law, Co-Editor, Construction Law Handbook 4th edition, Wolters Kluwer, Construction, 2020
- , Boston's Best Lawyers, Construction Law, 2007-2020
- , Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- , Massachusetts Super Lawyers Magazine, Construction and Surety, 2005-2020
- , Fellow, American College of Construction Lawyers, 2010 - present
- B.S., Architecture, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1977
- Massachusetts, 1985
- 1st Circuit Court of Appeals, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of New Hampshire, 1986
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1986
- New Hampshire, 1986
- OSHA 10-hour certification.
Office location for Stanley A. Martin
44 Park St
Andover, MA 01810
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2023