Jennifer H. O'Brien
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Billerica, MassachusettsO'Brien Law Offices
The founder of the O’Brien Law Offices, Jennifer H. O’Brien focuses her practice primarily on criminal defense matters. She is based in Billerica, Massachusetts, and she represents clients throughout Middlesex and Essex counties and other parts of the greater Boston metropolitan area. Ms. O’Brien is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where she majored in English and received a Bachelor of Arts in 1992. She then went on to attend New England Law | Boston, and she interned at law firms and legal aid offices before obtaining her Juris Doctor in 1996.
Ms. O'Brien is admitted to practice in Massachusetts as well as before the U.S District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit. As such, she has been able to defend people who are facing felony or misdemeanor charges that have been issued by both the Commonwealth and the federal governments. The types of cases that Ms. O'Brien has handled have included driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, resisting arrest, first- and second-degree murder, weapons violations, armed home invasions, drug possession and distribution, assault and battery, larceny, theft, and sex crimes. She has achieved many successes both in and out of the courtroom through dismissals, acquittals, reversals on appeal and favorable plea agreements that she has been able to negotiate with the prosecution.
Ms. O’Brien’s experience has also encompassed divorce and other family law matters as well as personal injury and wrongful death litigation. She is a member of the Middlesex Defense Attorney’s Bar Advocate Panel as well as the Greater Lowell Bar Association, and she has served as a judge at mock trial competitions at local high schools and colleges.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Appellate
- 50% Criminal Defense
- 50% Appellate
First Admitted: 1996, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: http://obrienlawoffices.org/jennifer-h-obrien/
- Wicked Local Reader's Choice Award - First Place Favorite in Billerica - 2017
- Wicked Local Reader's Choice Award - Second Place Regional Favorite - 2017
- Wicked Local Reader’s Choice Award – Honorable Mention – 2016
- Author of monthly column in the "Billerica Green" newspaper, 2009-2011
- Keynote speaker at Great Lowell Bar Association CLE “Appellate Advocacy” – 2010
- Member, Greater Lowell Bar Association, 2006- present
- Social Committee Member, Greater Lowell Bar Association, 2012
- UMass Amherst, Bachelor’s Degree in English, 1992
- Defendant convicted by a jury of several charges, the most serious of which was second degree murder. After filing one direct appeal and two motions for new trial, all of which were unsuccessful, Attorney O’Brien takes the case and files a third motion for new trial on behalf of client. After a full evidentiary hearing, judge vacates the murder conviction and awards client a new trial based upon newly discovered evidence and ineffective assistance of counsel. Client released after 20 years in prison., 2019
Office location for Jennifer H. O'Brien
630 Boston Road
Billerica, MA 01821
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023