David R. Yannetti
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Boston, MassachusettsYannetti Criminal Defense Law Firm
David R. Yannetti, of the Yannetti Criminal Defense Law Firm, works with clients in Boston and throughout the state of Massachusetts. He and his firm handle all criminal defense cases, including domestic violence, drug possession and/or distribution or trafficking, unlawful weapon or firearm possession, larceny, theft, fraud and murder. He also assists clients with old warrants, clerk magistrate's hearings, petitions to seal criminal records and appeals actions.
While at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, Mr. Yannetti was a James Bowdoin scholar and a dean's list student, majoring in government with a minor in mathematics. He graduated in 1985, cum laude, with a Bachelor of Arts. He received his Juris Doctor from Boston College Law School in 1989. As a law student, he achieved the distinction of being the first student at the school to compete in both the National Trial Competition and the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition. He was also the recipient of several awards in oral advocacy.
With over 30 years' experience in criminal defense, Mr. Yannetti has attracted national attention with appearances on CNN, Investigation Discovery and Fox News as a legal analyst, and has had several of his cases broadcast on media networks such as New England Cable News and truTV. His adherence to ethics and legal skills has earned him the highest ranking possible of AV-Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell. He also received the honor of being named one of America's Best Lawyers** by U.S. News and World Report.
Education is important to Mr. Yannetti. He shares his legal knowledge with law students and with other attorneys, delivering lectures at several law schools and continuing legal education courses. He is a member of several organizations, including the Massachusetts Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
* AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
** The Best Lawyers in America® 2020. Copyright 2020 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: white collar, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, Expungement, False accusations, Felony, Juvenile delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Traffic violations, Criminal domestic violence, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal, DUI/DWI
First Admitted: 1989, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.davidyannetti.com/boston-criminal-defense-lawyer...
- Attorney Yannetti recently won a complete acquittal for his client in a conspiracy-to-kidnap-and-murder case in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Client allegedly traveled from Canada to Vermont to be present when $10,000 in "expense money" was paid to a "hitman," who was really an undercover police officer. Client allegedly told the "hitman" that he "knew everything" about the plan and approved of the victim being "grabbed" in the following days. While his co-defendant was convicted, Client was found Not Guilty of both indictments and was freed from a federal jail to return home to his family.
- Attorney Yannetti was featured on the front page of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly for his victory in the first-degree murder case of Commonwealth v. Roland Douglas Phinney, Jr. Attorney Yannetti succeeded in first obtaining a new trial for Mr. Phinney, who served sixteen years in state prison after having been unjustly convicted in 1990. Attorney Yannetti then achieved a not-guilty verdict, despite the fact that his client had signed a handwritten confession to the murder.
- Member, Massachusetts Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Lecture, Boston University Law School
- Lecture, Boston College Law School
- Lecture, Suffolk University Law School
- Northeast Regional Mock Trial Competition Champion
- "Most Compelling Argument", thereby naming him the winner of the event
- One of the "Best Lawyers in America"
- Mr. & Mrs. Joseph F. Gill Award for Outstanding Mock Trial Participant
- Northeast Regional Jessup International Moot Court Competition Champion
- Dean's List Student and James Bowdoin Scholar, Bowdoin College
- Mock Trial Competition Champion, Boston College Law School
- Hardy C. Dillard Award for Outstanding Brief in Jessup International Moot Court Competition
- "Battle of the Lawyers" (sponsored by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly) Champion
- "AV- Rated," Pre-Eminent Lawyer
- Grimes Moot Court Competition Finalist, Boston College Law School
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1989
- Bowdoin College, B.A. in Government and Minor in Mathematics, Cum Laude, 1985
Office location for David R. Yannetti
44 School St
Boston, MA 02108
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2022
See legal Q & A provided by David R. Yannetti
Q: How do I drop domestic violence charges in Massachusetts?A: Domestic violence cases are treated differently from most other criminal cases in Massachusetts. Having started my career as a prosecutor in … See all answers by David Yannetti