Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Boston, MA
Attorney Meghan Thorp is a partner with Baskin Kershner & Thorp, LLC, law firm in Boston, Massachusetts, and she has more than 12 years of total legal experience. Devoted to providing the highest possible level of representation to clients throughout the greater Boston metro and surrounding areas, Ms. Thorp focuses her practice solely on family law and domestic relations issues, and she delivers personalized counsel and dedicated support to her clients who are going through high-asset divorces or have other serious legal issues affecting their families.
Well-versed in mediation and other alternative dispute resolution techniques, Ms. Thorp has helped numerous clients resolve their conflicts and reach favorable agreements in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible. She also assists other attorneys with their mediation needs, and she has gained a reputation for her outstanding legal abilities, impeccable ethical standards, and unwavering focus on protecting her clients' rights and best interests as well as their children during all aspect of divorce proceedings.
Among her legal credentials, Ms. Thorp serves as guardian ad litem and special purpose guardian ad litem as well as discovery master and attorney for children in contentious custody situations before the probate and family courts. A leader in her field, she published an article entitled "Understanding the Patient-Psychotherapist Privilege" in the Winter 2019 Family Law Newsletter of the Boston Bar Association, and she has served as co-chair and member of various panels, committees and continuing legal education programs for several professional legal organizations.
Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, Ms. Thorp also volunteers her time and services with Attorneys Representing Children (ARC) program as well as the Probate and Family Court Lawyer for the Day program. She is also an active member of the Greater Boston Family Law American Inn of Court, the Massachusetts Family and Probate American Inn of Court, the Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations, and the Women's Bar Association, among her other professional affiliations.
After graduating cum laude from Ithaca College in 2004, Ms. Thorp attended New England School of Law, where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 2007. While pursuing her legal degree, she served as volunteer mentor to other law students, and was an active participant with the Children and the Law Society as well as the Women's Law Caucus. She also completed internships at the Committee for Public Counsel Services in the Children and Family Law Program and with a prominent law firm in her area.
In recognition for her outstanding legal abilities and stellar client service, Ms. Thorp has earned the Silver Client Champion award from Martindale-Hubbell* along with excellent client ratings on Avvo and consistent top rankings and endorsements from her peers.
Ms. Thorp was named one of the Top Lawyers of 2021 and one of the Top Women Attorneys In Massachusetts Rising Stars, both published in Boston Magazine in 2021.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Meghan Thorp
First Admitted: 2007, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://bktfamilylaw.com/attorneys/
- Graduate of Ithaca College, B.S., cum laude, 2004
- Graduate of New England School of Law, 2007
- As family law practitioners, we encounter issues pertaining to the patient-psychotherapist privilege in a variety of contexts, including with regard to marital therapy, family therapy, and child therapy. This article addresses what constitutes privileged information, as well as whether and how the privilege can be waived., Understanding the Psychotherapist-Patient Privilege, BBA, Family Law, 2019
- I lectured about child support and alimony at the Divorce Fundamentals program., Speaker/panelist, BBA Divorce Fundamentals Program: Child Support and Alimony, Divorce Law, 2021
- , Super Lawyer - Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- , Top Attorneys, Boston Magazine, 2021
- , Top Women Attorneys in Massachusetts - Rising Star, Boston Magazine, 2021
- , Super Lawyer - Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2021
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Super Layers - Rising Star, 2021
- 2021 Top Women Attorneys In Massachusetts - Rising Star - Boston Magazine, 2021
- Top Attorneys of 2021 - Boston Magazine, 2021
- Super Laywers Rising Star, 2020
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer for ARC (Attorneys Representing Children) Program for Middlesex Probate and Family Court (2012-present), 2021
- Volunteer at Rosie's Place, a women's shelter in Boston., 2019
- Volunteer for Lawyer for the Day Program for Middlesex Probate and Family Court (2008-present), 2021
- Volunteer for Silver Living Mentoring, mentoring children in DCF custody (2013-2018), 2018
- Certified Guardian ad Litem, Massachusetts Probate and Family Court (since 2018), 2021
- Attorney for children through ARC program (2011 to present), 2021
- Worthy Circles professional organization, Member (2019 to present), 2021
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member (2013 to present), 2021
- Admitted to the Massachusetts bar, 2007
- Boston Bar Association, Member (2013 to present), 2021
- Greater Boston Family Law American Inn of Court, Member (2015 to present), 2021
- Gala Committee for the Women's Bar Association, Member (2016 to present), 2021
- Massachusetts Family and Probate American Inn of Court, Member (2014 to present), 2021
- Women's Bar Association, Member (2013 to present), 2021
- Certified Guardian ad Litem (2018-present), 2021
- Notary Public (1997-present), 2021
Last Updated: 6/22/2022