John D. Powers
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Franklin, MA
The founder of the Law Office of John D. Powers, John D. Powers is a highly regarded civil trial attorney. Practicing out of the firm’s offices in Franklin, Massachusetts, he represents people and businesses in Norfolk County and throughout the greater Boston and Worcester metropolitan areas. Mr. Powers has been admitted to practice in Massachusetts since 1988, and he is additionally admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
A significant portion of Mr. Powers’s practice involves personal injury and wrongful death litigation, in which he represents plaintiffs who have been harmed in incidents that were caused by the negligence of other parties. The types of cases that he has worked on have included medical malpractice, construction site and other workplace accidents, nursing home negligence, defective products, and motor vehicle crashes. Throughout his career in this area of the law, Mr. Powers has been able to obtain millions of dollars in needed compensation for his clients through jury awards and negotiated settlements.
Mr. Powers has extensive experience in labor and employment law litigation as well. He has assisted employees who have claims involving wage and hour violations, workplace sexual harassment, and discrimination that is prohibited by a variety of state and federal laws. His civil litigation background has also extended to elder abuse, real estate disputes, contract breaches, bad faith and other insurance coverage matters, and consumer protection.
His successful track record both in the courtroom and at the negotiating table has earned Mr. Powers the respect of his colleagues, as evidenced by his receipt of an “Excellent” peer review rating through Avvo. He is a graduate of New England Law | Boston and a member of several professional organizations.
About John D. Powers
First Admitted: 1988, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.jdplawfirm.com/attorneys/john-d-powers/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Milford Rotary Club, Past President
- Board for the Milford Area Chamber of Commerce, Former Chairman
- Super Lawyer, New England Super Lawyers publication & Boston Magazine
- Attorney Powers' Professional Experience Has Included: Wrongful Death: Settlement of wrongful death claim involving tractor trailer collision on interstate highway. Established through discovery and investigation that truck driver’s negligence was not excused by unexpected medical event but rather that the driver had concealed a serious medical condition. Medical Malpractice: Settlement for client against hospital as a result of client’s failed attempt at suicide while admitted for mental health observation. Personal Injury: Represented 63 year old driver of delivery truck hurt in a fall while making delivery to warehouse in Massachusetts at night. Complicating matters was that the driver did not initially report the fall, which was unwitnessed, and did not seek medical attention until returning to New Jersey. Ultimate the client was diagnosed with a herniated disc in his neck and underwent surgery. Through discovery and use of expert opinion able to establish liability for inadequate lighting and unsafe debris in the area resulting in case settling at mediation for approximately $250,000. Defective Products: Represented client, a construction worker, injured when bungee cord type strap disengaged when the hook of the strap bent while in use striking client in eye causing serious injury. Able to establish through expert opinion that hook on strap was improperly designed and manufactured resulting in settlement against manufacturer. Fraudulent Conveyance: Successfully tried and had set aside the fraudulent transfer of multiple residential and commercial properties by debtor prior to trial. Later negotiated settlement for client of multi-million dollar judgment from the recovered assets. Real Estate Dispute: Represented buyer against seller who had breached purchase and sale agreement for sale of multi-lot subdivision. Obtained injunctive relief forcing settlement of client’s claim. Construction Dispute: Represented site contractor against developer of commercial plaza over dispute for labor and materials provided to developer pursuant to an oral agreement. Successfully obtained lien against developer resulting in settlement of client’s claim. Contractor Dispute: Recovered judgment after trial against roofing contractor for negligent installation of roof on client’s office building. Established through investigation that defendant had fabricated various defenses resulting in an award for multiple damages and attorney’s fees. Consumer Complaint: Represented client whose car was impounded by state police after it was discovered to be stolen. Sued car dealer who refused responsibility and to return purchase price. Obtained judgment against dealer for value of car, multiple damages and attorney’s fees. Trademark: Represented client, a local company with international sales, regarding against competitor for infringing on client’s trademark. Successfully obtained court order enjoining competitor form using label and literature mimicking client’s trademark, resulting in competitor’s termination of operation. Annuity Prizes: Represent clients in the purchase of annuities in the form of lottery prizes. Involved in establishing the assignment process following amendment to Massachusetts statute in cooperation with Trial Court. Successfully handled the assignment of hundreds of lottery prizes. Civil Action: Appointed by insurer to defend client accused of exerting undue influence in obtaining conveyance to her of home by elderly landlord. Negotiated resolution whereby property was sold and client recouped initial purchase price and shared prorate with former owner in soaring increase in property value over alleged market value at time of sale. Consumer Complaint: Represented client whose car was impounded by state police after it was discovered to be stolen. Sued car dealer who refused responsibility or to return purchase price. Obtained judgment against dealer for value of car, multiple damages and attorney’s fees.
- Framingham State College in 1983
- Member of the American Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section, Massachusetts Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section, and Massachusetts Association of Trial Attorneys.
- Past president of the Milford Rotary Club and former Chairman of the Board for the Milford Area Chamber of Commerce.He was recently served as a judge for the American Bar Association's Law Student Negotiation Competition being held in Boston, Massachusetts in February 2009.
Last Updated: 5/15/2022