Matthew P. Albanese
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Milton, MA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2011 - 2012
The founding attorney of Albanese Law, LLC, Matthew P. Albanese helps people in Greater Boston, South Shore and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He focuses his practice on wills and trusts, estate planning, Medicaid estate planning and elder law.
After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts from Providence College, Mr. Albanese attended Suffolk University Sawyer Business School, earning a Master of Business Administration. He then continued his studies at Suffolk University Law School and graduated with his Juris Doctor.
For several years, Mr. Albanese has combined his love of business and law in assisting people with their estate planning. He knows how important it is to protect the rights of elderly people and to ensure that their wishes will be recognized and followed. He wants his clients to understand each of the options available to them and to give them the knowledge they need to make the decisions that are right for their particular situation.
When he is not in the office, Mr. Albanese is a tireless advocate for the rights of seniors and the disabled. He often gives testimony to Massachusetts lawmakers regarding quality of life issues in an effort to help legislators understand the challenges that these people face. He speaks on radio shows, holds seminars and writes articles in an effort to educate the public about estate planning.
Community involvement is also important to Mr. Albanese. He is a member of the Plymouth County Bar Association, the Bar Association of Norfolk County, the Boston Bar Association, and Past President the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. Mr. Albanese has also served as a member on several committees and the West Bridgewater Lions Club. The Rotary Club of The Bridgewaters honored Mr. Albanese as the citizen of the year in 2009. He was also selected by the Governor of the Commonwealth to serve on the Massachusetts Elder Economic Security Commission in 2016.
- 70%Elder Law
- 20%Estate Planning & Probate
- 10%Estate & Trust Litigation
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills, Will Contests
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2011 - 2012
About Matthew P. Albanese
First Admitted: 2002, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.albaneselawllc.com/attorney/matthew-p-albanese/
- Include Digital Assets in Estate Plans
- Using Lifetime Gifts to Reduce Estate Taxes
- Retirement and Estate Planning Should be Considered Together
Pro bono/Community Service
- Mr. Albanese served as a member of the West Bridgewater Board of Selectmen from 2004-2010. During this time he served twice as Chairman (2007, 2010). As an Elder Law Attorney, Mr. Albanese was a staunch advocate for seniors living in two of West Bridgewater's "over -55" manufactured housing communities. During his tenure as Selectmen, Mr. Albanese coordinated mitigation efforts with state and federal officials to alleviate seasonal flooding to one of the over 55-communities. He also revamped the town's rent-control board in a joint effort with town counsel in order to curb abuses in the rate increase process. This restructuring benefitted over 300 seniors who are on a fixed income. Other accomplishments include expanding West Bridgewater's senior tax work-off program. This initiative allows for local seniors to volunteer their time for the municipality in exchange for a credit on their property taxes. Mr. Albanese regularly testifies before the state legislature and executive agencies on issues which affect the quality of life for seniors; namely legislation to abolish rent control for manufactured housing communities, the siting of fossil fuel power plants in residential areas, and casino gaming. As a local official Mr. Albanese also served on several committees and boards; including, but not limited to: West Bridgewater Finance Committee, Old Colony Planning Council Metropolitan Planning Organization, Industrial Development Commission, By-Law Study Commission, and local delegate to the Regional Task Force on Casino Impacts. He also created and chaired the Ethics by Law Study Committee in an effort to further strengthen the Commonwealth's Conflict of Interest Law.
- Mr. Albanese provided free legal services on a monthly basis to seniors at the West Bridgewater Council on Aging. Topics included Medicaid Planning and Estate Planning, 2006
- Trustee, Cardinal Spellman High School, Brockton, Massachusetts, 2016
- Former member, West Bridgewater Public Schools Strategic Plan Committee
- Member, West Bridgewater Lions Club
- Providence College, B.A., in Political Science, Minor in Economics, Certificate in Public Administration, 1990
- Suffolk University's Sawyer School of Management, M.B.A., in International Business, 2004
- Mr. Albanese is licensed to practice in all Massachusetts State Courts as well as the Federal Court for the District of Massachusetts, and the United States Supreme Court.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- A Democratic candidate for State Representative for the 10th Plymouth District, Mr. Albanese ran against an eighteen-year incumbent, losing by only 136 votes. As part of his campaign, Mr. Albanese focused on quality of life issues, namely, increased local aid for cities and towns, further expansion of the Commonwealth's Medicaid (Mass Health) program, and support for legislation benefitting the GLBT community. Mr. Albanese also served as the Chairman for Cardinal Spellman High School's Annual Fund. In this capacity, Mr. Albanese worked with students, faculty, alums and private businesses to generate upwards of $135,000 to support current operations, special programs, tuition assistance and capital growth, 2010
- As a candidate for State Representative, Matthew Albanese discusses the need for health care reform in Massachusetts with a Pediatric Anesthesiologist from Children's Hospital Boston. In this interview, the discussion centered on reforms offered in a clinical setting, Health Care Reform, 2010
- While serving as a Selectmen, Matthew Albanese led the effort to make West Bridgewater the first community in Massachusetts to ban liquor licensed establishments from offering the controversial "Alcohol Without Liquid Device (AWOL)." Mr. Albanese is seen here with then Fox News Anchor David Wade discussing the town's position., Matt Albanese on Fox News, 2007
- , MassNAELA Past President's Award, Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2019
- This annual award is presented to a citizen of West Bridgewater who best exemplifies community involvement. This award was in recognition of Mr. Albanese's tenure as a Selectman. Some of his initiatives included supporting school choice, a local revenue enhancement program designed to improve public education without increasing taxes. School choice allows students in other communities to attend West Bridgewater Public Schools thereby lessening the tax burden on homeowners; particularly seniors who live on a fixed income. He also created and chaired the Regional Task Force on the Proposed Brockton Power Plant. This task force was a collaborative effort involving officals from 10 area communities who were concerned with the adverse impact of a fossil fuel power plant on residents who live in over-55 communities within 1/8 mile of the proposed plant site., Citizen of the Year, Rotary Club of the Bridgewaters, 2009
- President, Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2019
- Co-Chair, Massachusetts NAELA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee , 2022
- Presenter, Massachusetts National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Elder Law Institute "Representing Diverse Clients and MassHealth Planning Options", 2021
- Chair, Massachusetts National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys Elder Law Institute, "Focusing on Emerging Issues", 2018
- Member, Bar Association of Norfolk County
- Board of Directors and Co-chair, Membership Committee, Massachusetts Chapter of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc., 2018
- Former Chair, Plymouth County Selectmen's Association, 2008
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Plymouth County Bar Association, 2022
- Former Member, Supreme Judicial Court Historical Society
- Presenter, MassHealth Update, Halfmoon Education, Inc.
- Member, Commonwealth of Massacusetts Elder Economic Security Commission, Appointed by former Governor Deval Patrick (D-Mass)., 2016
- Member, Massachusetts Guardianship Association, 2016
- Former Member of the Massachusetts Bar Association, 2006
- Volunteer Faculty - Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE)
Last Updated: 5/15/2022