Michael K. Gillis
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Newton, MassachusettsGillis & Bikofsky, P.C.
Michael Gillis is a founding partner at Gillis & Bikofsky, P.C. He is committed to representing clients throughout the state and on Cape Cod including the areas of Cambridge, Framingham, Natick, Brookline, Hyannis, Boston, Somerville, Wellesley, Needham, Waltham, Plymouth, Brockton and Newton, Massachusetts. He dedicates his practice to handling personal injury and wrongful death cases that involve the following matters: public transportation, car, motorcycle, truck, pedestrian, bicycle and drunk driving accidents; head, spinal cord and catastrophic injuries; birth trauma, surgical errors and other medical malpractice; prescription and pharmacy errors; construction and workplace injuries; unsafe premises; defective medical devices, defective drugs and consumer product safety; and protecting children and the elderly. Mr. Gillis also represents clients in cases involving criminal defense, business consulting, dispute resolution, wage and employment claims, discrimination claims and whistleblower claims.
In 1979, Mr. Gillis earned a Bachelor of Arts in economics and graduated cum laude from Boston College. He then received a Juris Doctor in 1982 from Suffolk University Law School, served as president of the Student Bar Association, and was the first recipient of the Wyman Prize for civic involvement.
For more than 35 years, Mr. Gillis has been helping people who have suffered because of someone else's error. Early in his career, Mr. Gillis defended large corporations from personal injury claims. This experience has given him a keen insight into how to build a compelling case for victims of negligence. He consistently obtains verdicts and settlements in his clients' favor.
For his accomplishments, Mr. Gillis has earned the highest rating possible of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell, The Boston Globe named him one of Boston's Top Rated Lawyers, Vogue Magazine dubbed him one of the country's Top Lawyers for women, and The Wall Street Journal has named him one of New England's Premier Lawyers.
A published author and frequent lecturer, Mr. Gillis is on the board of directors for the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and serves as the State Delegate to the American Association for Justice.
*AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general practice standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, General Litigation
Animal Bites, Assault, Birth Injury, Brain Injury, Construction Accident, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Dental Malpractice, Dram Shop Laws, Informed Consent, Litigation, Medical Malpractice, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Trucking Accidents, Wrongful Death
- 50% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 20% General Litigation
First Admitted: 1982, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: http://gillisandbikofsky.com/attorneys/michael-k-gillis/
- One of "Boston's Top Rated Lawyers" by the Boston Globe
- Named one of the "Top Massachusetts Lawyers"
- One of Massachusetts' "Top Lawyers for Women" by Vogue Magazine
- Massachusetts "Super Lawyer" by Boston Magazine
- "AV" peer rated by Martindale Hubbell
- Boston College, B.A. with honors, Economics, 1979
- Juris Doctorate, Suffolk University Law School, 1982
- President, Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys, 2001
- President, Catholic Lawyer's Guild for the Archdiocese of Boston, 2016
- Chairman, Liquor Liability Litigation Group, 2000
- The Joint Bar Judicial Nomination Commission
- Board of Governors, Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys, 1988
- Board of Delegates, Massachusetts Bar Association, 2001
- President, Student Bar Association, Suffolk University Law School
- American Association for Justice, 1988
- Board of Delegates, American Association for Justice, 2004
- $6,000,000 verdict and settlment against an insurer for breach of contract as well as bad faith, uheld by the Massachusetts Supreme Court., 2015
- $8,000,000 verdict for intentional infliction of emotional distress and intentional interference with an adventageous business agreement., 2016
- $2,400,000 settlement in wronful death action involving serving and selling alcohol to minors resulting in the death of a minor., 2019
- $17 million dollar verdict in dram shop case were intoxicated patron stabbed another patron. $4.6 million dollar verdict against an insurer for not paying the $50,000 policy limits for its insured (2014). $1.6 million dollar settlement against insurer for bad faith in failing to make a $50,000 payment to injured claimant. (2014). $8.4 million dollar verdict for intentional infliction of emotional distress (2015). $150,000 verdict in dog bite case (2016).
- Continuing education for lawyers related to dram shop actions, Author, Liquor Liability and Other Special Issues, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, 2019
- President, Catholic Lawyer's Guild for the Archdiocese of Boston, 2019
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Little Brothers of St. Francis, 2007
- Trustee of Suffolk University
- Serves on the Board of the Pike's Peak Hockey Club of Boston College
- School Board, Msgr. Haddad Middle School, 2009
- Pastoral Council, St. Joseph Church, 2008
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Milton Public Library
- Chairman and Counsel for the Hoyt Fund
- Board of Governors of the Catholic Lawyers Guild of the Archdiocese of Boston
- Advocate and Past Grand Knight of local Knights of Columbus
Office location for Michael K. Gillis
1150 Walnut Street
Newton, MA 02461
- Super Lawyers: 2005 - 2006, 2015 - 2023