Stephen J. Buchbinder
Top rated land use & zoning attorney in Newton, MassachusettsSchlesinger and Buchbinder, LLP
Stephen J. Buchbinder is a land use, zoning, and commercial real estate attorney at Schlesinger and Buchbinder, LLP. Throughout his career spanning over four decades, he has assisted clients with mixed-use and multi-family real estate developments, permitting for the restaurant and hospitality industry, and most recently approvals for cannabis facilities. He also has handled the acquisition, sale, financing, and leasing of properties for retail, office, and multi-family use.
Admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Mr. Buchbinder is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals, and the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Mr. Buchbinder’s commercial real estate clients include Mark Development, LLC, Criterion Development Partners, Sunrise Senior Living, the Russian School of Mathematics, Concord Academy, the Carroll School, the Fay School, Brae Burn Country Club, Woodland Golf Club, Charles River Country Club, and the Village Bank. In the restaurant and hospitality industry, Mr. Buchbinder has successfully obtained zoning approvals for The Capital Grille, Hotel Indigo, Panera Bread, O’Hara’s, Dunn Gaherin’s, The Local, the Biltmore Bar and Grille, Peet’s Coffee, Bill’s Pizzeria, and the Village Café, among many others. Mr. Buchbinder has also assisted his cannabis clients in the City of Newton, obtaining approvals for the first two medical and adult-use cannabis dispensaries in the City, and in the towns of Natick, Sturbridge, Warren, and Provincetown.
Mr. Buchbinder is an avid tennis player, served as Chairman of the Newton Housing Authority for 15 years, coached Little League and youth basketball, and is a certified high school basketball official.
Practice areasLand use/zoning, Real estate: business
- 80% Land use/zoning
- 20% Real estate: business
First Admitted: 1974, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.sab-law.com/attorneysstaff/stephen-j-buchbinder/
- Bowdoin College, cum laude, 1970 and Boston College Law School (1974, cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- Boston College Law School Annual Survey of Massachusetts Law
- Coach, Little League and Youth Basketball
- Chairman, Newton Housing Authority
- Graduated in 1970 cum laude with High Honors in History from Bowdoin College.
- Graduated cum laude from Boston College Law School and elected to the Order of the Coif, national honorary legal society. Served as a law clerk to then Associate Justice Christopher J. Armstrong on the Massachusetts Appeals Court, 1974-1975.
- Massachusetts, 1974
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 1975
- United States District Court, Massachusetts, 1975
- United States Supreme Court, 1980
Office location for Stephen J. Buchbinder
1200 Walnut Street
Newton, MA 02461
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2020 - 2022