Andrew C. Oatway
Top rated business litigation attorney in Quincy, MassachusettsMorisi & Oatway, PC
The managing attorney at Morisi & Oatway, P.C., Andrew C. Oatway has developed an excellent reputation as a civil trial attorney. From the firm's office in Quincy, Massachusetts, he focuses his practice on complex business, real estate, and probate litigation, providing astute representation to people and businesses throughout the Greater Boston metropolitan area. In addition to being a forceful courtroom advocate, Mr. Oatway's extensive experience in negotiations and arbitration often allows him to help his clients reach an accord on some of their conflicts through the use of those alternative dispute resolution methods.
Mr. Oatway's cases have involved business torts, contract breaches, noncompete agreements, trade secret misappropriation, employment matters, shareholder and partner disputes, and unfair business practices. His real estate trial experience has encompassed construction defects, boundary and easement disputes, adverse possession, zoning appeals and condominium law. In his probate litigation practice, Mr. Oatway has handled will contests based on undue influence, fraud, noncompliance with statutory formalities and lack of testamentary capacity. Mr. Oatway has also served as plaintiff's trial counsel in legal malpractice litigation, and in one of these cases he obtained a $6.25 million jury award, which was believed to be at that time the largest legal malpractice verdict in Massachusetts history.
Majoring in English, Mr. Oatway attended the University of Notre Dame, and he played on the school's lacrosse and hockey teams before receiving a Bachelor of Arts in 1987. He then pursued his legal education at Boston College Law School, where he was a member of the school's National Moot Court Team. He was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1992, and he has been with his present firm since 1993. Mr. Oatway's professional memberships include the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Closely held business, Business/corporate
Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Business formation and planning, Limited liability companies, Partnership, Sub-chapter s corporations, Contracts, Business organizations
- 50% Business litigation
- 30% Closely held business
- 20% Business/corporate
First Admitted: 1992, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://www.morisi.com/attorney-profiles/index.html
- Valenti v. Lubin & Meyer, P.C., et al.
- Granite Telecommunications, LLC v. Patrick Nee, 2008
- First Enterprises, Ltd. v. Cooper, 425 Mass. 344, 1997
- Urman v. South Boston Savings Bank, 424 Mass. 165, 1997
- University of Notre Dame, 1987
- Federal District Court of Massachusetts
- Federal District Court of Connecticut
- State of Connecticut
- Quincy Rotary President and Member of Board of Directors https://www.facebook.com/RotaryClubOfQuincyMA http://www.clubrunner.ca/Portal/Home.aspx?accountid=4867 Director - The Society for the Propagation of the Faith http://www.propfaithboston.org
- RESULTS FROM THE LITIGATION DEPARTMENT Morisi & Oatway, P.C.'s litigation attorneys have a demonstrable track record of successes both in court and out of court. Here are some of the recent results we've obtained for our clients. Trial and arbitration results.- Obtained a jury verdict and a seven figure judgment for an executive who was promised equity as an inducement to go to work for a start up telecommunications company. The executive has since been paid a confidential seven figure settlement. - Obtained a defense verdict in favor of a shareholder of a now defunct closely held corporation at a jury trial. Plaintiff brought claims for breach of contract, piercing the corporate veil, and violation of Chapter 93A. - Obtained a directed verdict for a commercial landlord after a three day jury trial. A tenant brought claims of sexual harassment, chapter 93A, breach of lease, and negligence against the landlord, claiming the landlord demanded sexual favors in exchange for obligations due under the lease. - Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a general contractor against a developer on claims to collect amounts due under a construction contract. Obtained and collected a $231,000 settlement for a plaintiff suing a lawyer for legal malpractice after winning a two week jury trial. - Obtained and collected a $100,000 award and defeated all counterclaims after a multi-day arbitration claim by a general contractor against the owners of a doctor's office building constructed by the general contractor. - Obtained an arbitration award of 100% of the unpaid additional rent claimed by a landlord against a defaulting commercial tenant. Litigation Results Obtained summary judgment in favor of a property owner against a real estate developer seeking to enforce an Offer to Purchase, thereby freeing the owner up to sell the property for in excess of $1Million dollars to another developer. In a second lawsuit brought by the same disgruntled developer against the property owner and the new buyer, won dismissal of claims and dissolution of a lis pendens that was interfering with the new buyer's ability to develop the property. - Won summary judgment for a building contractor being sued by its customer on a claim that the contractor was obligated to obtain insurance for the customer. This result was obtained in a wrongful death case brought by the widow of our client's employee, who died on the construction site. The owner failed to obtain his own insurance and is now facing potential multi-million dollar exposure in the wrongful death suit. - Obtained summary judgment in the Land Court allowing a property owner to use his house as a multi-family income property after an adverse determination by a zoning board of appeals. - Won a Probate Court lawsuit on a motion for summary judgment where plaintiff challenged a deed from the decedent to his grandchildren. The plaintiff, son of the decedent, alleged undue influence and lack of capacity. - Obtained dismissal of a claim for Adverse Possession of real property against a landowner and summary judgment on disputed title ownership claims. Won a dismissal of a probate court lawsuit seeking to remove executors brought by a disgruntled family member. - Obtained a judgment in favor of a homeowner against a home improvement contractor and double damages under G.L. c. 93A in a total sum over $100,000. - Obtained a Preliminary Injunction in favor of a Church to obtain control of the Church's property, bank accounts and identity against a rogue Pastor that took control of the Church. Obtained a preliminary injunction on behalf of a mortgage brokerage firm to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former employee in the Business Litigation Session. - Defeated an employer's attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against a former produce salesperson in the Business Litigation Session. - Defeated an employer's attempt to obtain a preliminary injunction to enforce a noncompete agreement against an insurance broker in the Business Litigation Session. - Defeated a motion for a $1 million dollar attachment by a purchaser of commercial paper seeking to enforce a 19 year old guaranty. Negotiation and Litigation Avoidance Results - Negotiated a settlement for a high level executive employee of over $1 million for breach of contract and sexual harassment claims. - Obtained a confidential settlement for a group of over thirty courthouse clerks suing their attorney for malpractice after the attorney abandoned their sick building claims. - Obtained a $300,000 settlement for a condominium association with construction defect claims against the developer. - Negotiated a favorable buyout of a minority-shareholder of a closely held corporation where majority shareholders terminated minority shareholder's employment and immediately thereafter increased their compensation, giving rise to claims of freeze-out and breach of fiduciary duty. - Advised and negotiated on behalf of departing President from high tech business regarding severance, non-compete, and stock option issues. - Successfully defended a Professional Engineer facing loss or suspension of his license at the Board of Registration, resulting in dismissal of the matter without discipline. - Obtained a pre-lawsuit $85,000 settlement of a sexual harassment claim for a female advertising executive. - Settled potential high six figure copyright infringement claims concerning the use of unlicensed software for low five figure dollars. - On behalf of a business owner, settled a mid-six figure claim brought by an equipment lessor for low five figure dollars. - Obtained a $150,000 settlement for an heir of where family member fraudulently transferred the decedent's assets into his own name.
- National Administrative Law Moot Court team, Boston College Law School, 1992
- Superlawyer Rising Star, 2005
- Superlawyer Corporate Counsel, 2008 - 2018
- Massachusetts Superlawyer, 2008 - 2018
- New England Superlawyer, 2008 - 2018
Office location for Andrew C. Oatway
730 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02170
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2005