Thomas J. Cleary
Top rated Health Care attorney in Taunton, MassachusettsCohen Cleary, P.C.
Practice Areas: Health Care, Estate Planning & Probate, Employment & Labor view more
Licensed in Massachusetts since: 2008
Areas of Practice:
Civil Litigation; Labor and Employment Law; Wrongful Termination; MCAD and EEOC Representation; Discrimination Law; Sexual Harassment; Wage and Hour Law; Collective Bargaining; Employment Grievances; Severance Negotiation; Unemployment Administrative Appeals and 30A Appeals; Civil Service Commission Appeals; Personal Injury; Slip and Fall; Product Liability; Consumer Protection Law; Insurance Claims and Disputes; Long Term Disability Insurance Appeals; Wills; Estate Planning and Estate Administration; Guardianships; Conservatorships; Durable Power of Attorney and Health Care Proxy; Probate and Estate Litigation; MassHealth Administrative Appeals and 30A Appeals; Domestic and Harassment Restraining Orders; Landlord Tennant Law; Individual and Commercial Real Estate Evictions; Breach of Contract; Debt Collection; Contract Disputes; Representation for legal matters in the Massachusetts Probate and Family Court, Small Claims, District, Superior Court and United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Attorney Cleary provides practical, effective, and affordable legal services and solutions to clients throughout Massachusetts. Attorney Cleary zealously represents individual and corporate clients with a variety of legal issues involving labor and employment law, discrimination law, sexual harassment, personal injury, probate and estate litigation, guardianships, and conservatorships as well as other legal matters.
Background and Achievements:
Attorney Cleary is a Magna Cum Laude graduate of Hiram College where he was a recipient of the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award. Attorney Cleary is a Magna Cum Laude graduate and Valedictorian from the University of Massachusetts School of Law at Dartmouth (formerly the Southern New England School of Law). While in law school, Attorney Cleary was a founder and the Editor-in-Chief of the Roundtable Symposium Law Journal (currently the University of Massachusetts Law Review). Attorney Cleary was awarded the Faculty Academic Achievement Award, the Sarah Clarman Bernstein Prize for Academic Excellence, the Pro Bono Program Honorary Designation and was a participant in the Domenick L. Gabrielli Family Law National Moot Court Competition. Attorney Cleary has also published numerous articles, legal manuscripts, and other materials.
Attorney Cleary served for 4 years as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the Southern New England School of Law. Attorney Cleary also served for 3 years as an Adjunct Professor for the University of Massachusetts School of Law at Dartmouth as a faculty advisor to the University of Massachusetts Law Review where he taught advanced legal research, writing and editing. Attorney Cleary has also lectured at numerous programs on the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code and has been a keynote speaker on trends and issues in employment law, guardianships, estate and long term care planning. Recently Attorney Cleary was invited to speak as a training program panelist on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s, Mental Health Legal Advisor Committee.
Practice areasHealth Care, Estate Planning & Probate, Employment & Labor: Employee, General Litigation
First Admitted: 2008, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://cohencleary.com/legal-staff-raynham-attorneys/thomas...
- J.D., Law, UMass School of Law (formerly Southern New England School of Law), Magna Cum Laude, Valedictorian, Recipient of Pro Bono and Numerous Student Achievement Awards, 2007
- B.A. Political Science, Hiram College, Magna Cum Laude, 2004
- 2009 to Present, Member, Executive Board of Directors, former President of Board, Chair of Awards and Scholarships Committee, Chair of Publications Committee, UMass Law Alumni Association , 2009
- 2011 to Present, Member, Plymouth County Bar Association, 2011
- Member, Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity, 2007
- 2011 to Present, Member, Bristol County Bar Association, 2011
- 2010, Member, American Bar Association, 2010
- 2011 to Present, Member, Boston Bar Association, 2011
- 2010 to present, Member, Massachusetts Bar Association; 2014-2015, Board Member, Massachusetts Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section Council, 2010
- 2011 to Present, Member, Plymouth County District Bar Association, 2011
- 2014 to Present, Member, Massachusetts Employment Lawyers Association, 2014
- 2010 to 2015, Awarded in recognition of providing pro bono legal services through participation in "Lawyer of the Day" programs, membership, performance of pro bono legal services, and participation in pro bono legal service panel , Pro Bono Publico Award, Massachusetts Probate and Family Court, 2010
- The Cohen Cleary, P.C. law firm was awarded the Pro Bono Public Service Award in 2015 at the Bristol County Bar Association Annual Meeting in recognition for pro bono legal services provided by the firm to indigent individuals., Pro Bono Bublic Service Award, Bristol County Bar Associate and South Coastal Counties Legal Services, 2015
- Awarded the designation of class Valedictorian for the Class of 2007, Valedictorian, UMass Law School (formerly SNESL), 2007
- First Editor-in-Chief and ounding member of the Southern New England Roundtable Symposium Law Review and later founding Faculty Advisor to the UMass Law Review legal journal., Editor-In-Chief, Law Review Legal Publication, 2006
- Lecturer, panelist, and development of continuing legal education seminars on issues involving guardianship, conservatorship, decisional capacity and mental health litigation for the Massachusetts Committee for Public Counsel Services and guest panelist for Mental Health Legal Advisor Committee seminar., Panelist and Program Development, Lecturer, Massachusetts Committee for Public Counsel Services, Mental Health, Guardianship, Conservatorship, Probate Law, 2011
- Faculty Advisor and Adjunct Professor to Southern New England Roundtable Symposium Law Journal as well as later serving as Faculty Advisor and Adjunct Professor to the UMass Law Review. , Faculty Advisor and Lecturer-of-Law, Adjunct Professor, University of Massachusetts School of Law, Legal Education, 2007
- Attorney Cleary has published materials for Coninuing Education Legal seminars, the UMass Law Review Editorial Handbook, as well as manuscripts and scholarly articles for various legal publications. Attorney Cleary continues to research and author articles about important legal issues and developments., Author, Attorney and Adjunct Professor, Scholarly Legal Publications, 2010
- Certification, Mental Health Litigation, Massachusetts Committe for Public Counsel Service, Mental Health Litigation Unit, 2011
- Certification, Massachusetts Trial Court, Probate and Family Court, Areas include: Guardian ad Litem, Court Appointed Special Master, and Antipsychotic Medication Treatment Plan Monitor., 2011
- Member, Board of Directors, South Coastal Counties Friends of Legal Services Council, 2013
- Advisor, Mock Trial Class, Tiverton High School, 2012
- Member, Board of Directors, Red Cross, The Cape, Islands, and Southeastern Massachusetts Chapter, 2015
- Member, Ex Officio Designation, Board of Directors, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth Alumni Association, 2011
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2020