Amy M. Spilman is a highly respected family law attorney in Birmingham, Michigan. Ms. Spilman specializes in complex litigation in all facets of family law, including divorce, custody, support, change of domicile, property division, grandparents’ rights, and paternity issues. Known for her depth of knowledge of the law, attention to detail and superior writing and advocacy skills, Ms. Spilman also specializes in family law appeals.
Ms. Spilman received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 1991 and earned her Juris Doctor from the prestigious University of Michigan Law School in 1994. She has been rated AV-Premier by Martindale-Hubbell since 2012, and has been named a Leading Lawyer by her peers since 2014.
Ms. Spilman brings over 20 years of family law experience to aggressively and effectively represent her clients and achieve outstanding results. She provides a personalized level of service to each and every client, empowering them with the information and support each needs to make informed decisions every step of the way.
Ms. Spilman is committed to the elevation and development of the practice of family law and complements her busy caseload with active service in national, state and local bar associations. In 2017, Ms. Spilman became a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonal Attorneys. Since 2014, Ms. Spilman has served on the Family Law Council of the State Bar of Michigan, a 21-member panel whose mission is to provide crucial input and recommendations regarding proposed legislation and court rules, and to promote the legal education of the Bar in family law. Ms. Spilman serves on the Court Rules, Legislative and Amicus Committees, and is co-editor of the Michigan Family Law Journal.
Ms. Spilman is an active member of the Oakland County Bar Association, holding the position of Chair of the Family Court Committee in 2015-2016 and Vice Chair in 2014-2015. She has also served as the Family Court Committee’s liaison to the OCBA's Legislative Committee, recommending positions on pending family law related legislation. In 2016, Ms. Spilman was elected to the board of the Michigan Inter-Professional Association on Marriage, Divorce and the Family, a non-profit organization of judges, lawyers and mental health professionals who meet regularly to combine their special skills, knowledge and insights with a goal towards strengthening family life.
First Admitted: 1994
Professional Webpage: http://www.eisenbergspilman.com/Attorneys/Amy-M-Spilman.shtm...
- Volunteer -- JFS Legal Referral Service Member -- Tamarack Camps, Camp Maas Committee
- 2014-present: State Bar of Michigan Family Law Councilmember; 2014 - present: Court Rules and Amicus Committee Member, Family Law Council, State Bar of Michigan; 2014- present: Editorial Board member, Michigan Family Law Journal; 2015-2016: Chair, Oakland County Bar Association Family Court Committee; 2014-2015: Vice Chair, Oakland County Bar Association Family Court Committee; 2016 - present: Board member, Michigan Inter-Professional Association; Oakland County Bar Foundation Fellow, 2014
- Leading Lawyer, 2014
- AV Rated -- Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
- Speaker, Property and Economic Issues, Introduction to Practice Seminar, Oakland County Bar Association Family Court Committee, 2014
- Author, Post-Majority Child Support in Michigan: Resurrecting and Redefining the ‘Exceptional Circumstances' Clause, Michigan Family Law Journal, April 2015
- Author, Leverage in Litigation, Michigan Family Law Journal, May 2016
- Author, Post-Judgment Discovery in Domestic Relations Matters, Laches, Oakland County Bar Association, 2012
- Kinship Care and Grandparents' Rights, Presenter, OLHSA Older Adult and Energy Services Division, 2014
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022