John J. Schrot, Jr.
Top rated Family Law attorney in Birmingham, MichiganBerry Moorman P.C.
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in Michigan since: 1977
Education: Michigan State University College of Law
Berry Moorman P.C.255 East Brown Street
Birmingham, MI 48009 Visit website
John J. Schrot, Jr., is an attorney at Berry Moorman P.C. in Birmingham, Michigan. Mr. Schrot has more than 40 years of experience and focuses his practice on family law, serving clients throughout the metropolitan Detroit region.
Mr. Schrot successfully represents individuals in various civil litigation matters. He has experience with a wide range of domestic legal issues involving divorce, annulment, business valuations, change of domicile, child support, custody, enforcement, Friend of the Court matters, grandparenting time, guardianships, custody, parenting time, personal protection orders, prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, post-judgment issues, separation, and spousal support.
Recognized for his many accomplishments and dedication toward his clients, Mr. Schrot has been regularly featured in dBusiness magazine as a “top lawyer” and is a repeated recipient of the “top 10 attorneys award” from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys and the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys. He holds an AV Preeminent* peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell for every year starting in 1989 to present. Also, from 2014 to present he has been recognized by his peers as a Leading Lawyer. He has a "superb" 10.0 rating from AVVO in family law. Michigan Lawyers Weekly selected him as one of the "Leaders in the Law" Class of 2016.
Mr. Schrot is also a trained professional in collaborative divorce practice and is able to explain the different options for divorce. He is a member of the Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan, as well as the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. During 2019-2020, he was Co-Chair of the State Bar of Michigan Family Law Section's Ad Hoc Committee for a Twenty Year Review of the Family Court System in Michigan.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Schrot served in numerous leadership roles in professional and community organizations. He maintains active membership in several organizations, including the Oakland County Bar Association, the Detroit Bar Association, Michigan Inter-Professional Association, the State Bar of Michigan and the American Bar Association. He also is Immediate Past Chairman of the City of Birmingham Board of Ethics and Past President of the Rotary Club of Birmingham.
Mr. Schrot received a bachelor’s degree from Wayne State University and earned his law degree from Michigan State University College of Law. He holds a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Toronto and obtained his Michigan law license in 1977.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1977, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://berrymoorman.com/11235-2/
- Resolution as counsel for a party in a $100 million divorce
- 2003-Present - Member (Chairman) City of Birmingham Ethics Board; 2007 to present; Speaker at Oakland University School of Business on the legal aspects of emergency preparedness; 2006-Present - Member/Grand Knight, Holy Name Knights of Columbus; 1999-2020; - Michigan State District Deputy of Knights of Columbus 2022; - Participant, Catholic Central High School Law Day; 1991-2020 - Member (Past Chairman), Board of Directors, Birmingham YMCA; 2000-2003 - Chairman, Leadership Committee, Birmingham YMCA; 1989-2003 - Member (Past Chairman), City of Birmingham Advisory Parking Committee; 1998-1999 - Member, Board of Directors, YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit; 1996-1998 - Holy Name Church Parish Council; 1989-1997 - Federation Chief of YMCA Indian Program, Recipient of Golden Feather Award; 1990-1994 - Coach with Birmingham/Bloomfield Soccer Club and/or Holy Name Varsity Soccer Team; 1986 - Member, Ad Hoc Advisory Transportation Committee, Birmingham Board of Education; Member/Director, Birmingham Rotary 2011-present member and past President; Volunteer, The Birmingham Community House 1994-2011, Member, Board of Directors, Independent Transportation Network of Detroit 2012-2014, a non-profit organization benefitting the visually impaired and the elderly.
- Who's Who Registry of Business Leaders
- Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Detroit Bar Association
- Michigan Inter-Professional Association
- Co-Chair, State Bar of Michigan Family Law Section’s Ad Hoc Committee
- Oakland County Bar Association – Fellow and Member of the Family Court Committee
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association – Arbitrator; Family Law, Litigation, and Business Law sections; Senior Lawyers Divison
- State Bar of Michigan – Family Law and Business Law sections
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Arbitrator for American Arbitration Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Member of the Federal Law Clerk Alumni Group
- Member of the Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metro Detroit
- AVVO legal ability rating of "Superb"
- Approved as a Leading Lawyer in Michigan in the area of Family Law. Rated as "Superb" in Family Law by Avvo. Also, a "Top Lawyer" in Family Law. Received the Shamrock Bar Association's Distinguished Lawyer Award, all for 2013. In 2014 through 2018, I was chosen to receive the prestigious TOP 10 Attorney Award from the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, as a top 10 family law attorney in Michigan. I was also awarded one of the "10 Best" Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Michigan, by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys.
- Top Lawyer, Global Who's Who
- Leaders in the Law Awardee, Class of 2016, Michigan Lawyers Weekly - Just 30 lawyers in the State of Michigan were selected for this prestigious award. These lawyers are recognized for their accomplishments, and viewed as those setting the standards for other lawyers. Leader in the Law, The Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2014. , The Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2016
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell for past 30 years (1989-2022); 2010-2022 Top Lawyer in Family Law and Litigation. The AV Preeminent Rating is the highest possible rating for an attorney for both ethical standards and legal ability. This rating represents the pinnacle of professional excellence. It is achieved only after an attorney has been reviewed and recommended by their peers - members of the bar and judiciary. To become a Leading Lawyer Family Law one must be recommended by Family Law peers, and approved by the Leading Lawyers Michigan Advisory Board in the area of Family Law. This is a distinction held by fewer than five percent of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Michigan. I have a "Superb" rating with AVVO. Also, I received the Shamrock Bar Association's Distinguished Lawyer Award for 2013. The Shamrock Bar Association consists of lawyers and judges affiliated with Detroit/Novi Catholic Central High School. In 2014 through 2018 he was selected by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys as a recipient of the TOP 10 Attorney Award, recognizing me as one of the top 10 family law attorneys in Michigan. , Distinguished Lawyer Award, Martindale Hubbell
- Editor-in-Chief of DCL (now MSU) Law Review
- The Nation's Top Lawyers, based upon a survey of their peers, Leading Lawyers
- For academic achievement, Edward Rakow Scholarship Award, Federal Bar Foundation, 1976
- In 2014 through 2020 I was considered one of the "10 Best" Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction in Michigan, by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- Detroit College of Law, Detroit, Michigan n/k/a Michigan State University College of Law,1977; Editor-in-Chief, Detroit College of Law Review, 1976-1977; Law Review Member and Associate Editor. 1974-1976; Recipient of the Federal Bar Foundation Edward Rakow Scholarship Award. 1976; Legal Research Teaching Assistant. 1975 University of Toronto, Faculty of Management Studies, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Master of Business Administration, 1974; Faculty Research Assistant.Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, Bachelor of Science, Business Management, 1972; Student-Faculty Council
- This cable television interview of me focused on my discussing the benefits of marital agreements, Marital Agreements, Michigan Divorce Matters, 2011
- This cable television interview focused on my suggestions for couples to avoid divorce, Tips to Avoid Divorce, Michigan Divorce Matters, 2010
- What impact substance use and abuse has on child custody determinations., Substance Abuse and Custody: Alcohol, Drugs, and Emerging Cannibas Issues, 2020
- Today Most Owners Consider Their Pets as Family Members. , Pets in Divorce, General Public, 2021
- This article discusses the change in the Michigan Court Rule regarding the potential disqualification of a jurist, and concerns in relation thereto., Judicial Disqualification In Michigan - A Slippery Slope, 2011
- The Michigan family law courts have and will continue to consider marijuana use seriously when deciding divorce and custody/parenting time matters. , Legal Marijuana and Family Law, 2018
- This article discusses the legal risks associated with a business not being prepared for an emergency or disaster of various types, and how to remedy same., Business Emergency Legal Preparedness, 2014
- The article discusses the importance of formal agreements in the planning stages and during marriage., Marital Agreements in Michigan - Useful Tools In A World Of Until Divorce Or Debt Do Us Part, 2011
- This article discusses the importance of pre-planning with counsel for a potential divorce in the event that one owns or may during the marriage own a business interest., Protecting Your Client's Business In Divorce, 2010
- The pros and cons of unmarried cohabitation relationships., Cohabitation, 2017
Office location for John J. Schrot, Jr.
255 East Brown Street
Birmingham, MI 48009
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023