Marc E. Thomas
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Bloomfield Hills, MichiganBendure & Thomas
Attorney Marc E. Thomas is a partner with the Bendure & Thomas law firm, which has offices located in Bloomfield Hills and Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. A highly versatile attorney, he serves clients throughout the greater Detroit metro region and all of Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Tax controversies and litigation
- Tax resolutions and workouts
- Refund suits
- IRS audit defense
- Tax fraud
- Criminal tax defense
- Pension and retirement plan disputes
- Business litigation
- Probate and estate administration
- Estate planning, wills and trusts
A 1972 graduate of Michigan State University and member of the school's Varsity Club, Mr. Thomas attended the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, where he served as editor-in-chief of the Journal of Urban Law, which has since become the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review. A Clarence M. Burton Scholar in law school, he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1975, and the State Bar of Michigan admitted him to practice that same year.
In 1994, Mr. Thomas earned his Master of Laws in Taxation from Wayne State University Law School, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the U.S. Tax Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Throughout the course of his career, Mr. Thomas has proven himself an invaluable ally for those dealing with serious and complex tax controversies. He keeps his clients informed of the claims made by the tax office, the repercussions, and the following steps in the process. Furthermore, he has assisted hundreds of clients with establishing and enforcing their final wishes with regard to their estates while helping them reduce their overall tax burdens so they can pass on more of their wealth to their heirs and loved ones.
Recognized for his success, Mr. Thomas holds an AV-Preeminent peer-review rating* through Martindale-Hubbell as well as designation from The Best Lawyers in America. He has also received positive reviews and referrals from his many satisfied clients.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Thomas is a member of the Taxation, Business Law, Probate & Estate Planning, and Litigation Sections of the State Bar of Michigan. He is also a member of the Detroit Bar Association and the Oakland County Bar Association as well as the Taxation, Trust & Estate Law, Real Property, Litigation, and Law Practice Management Sections of the American Bar Association. In addition, Mr. Thomas volunteers his time with The American Society of Tax Problem Solvers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ falls into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Tax: Consumer, Criminal Defense, Estate Planning & Probate
Estate Planning, Tax Law, Trusts, Wills
- 50% Business Litigation
- 30% Tax: Consumer
- 10% Criminal Defense
- 10% Estate Planning & Probate
First Admitted: 1975, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://www.bendurethomaslaw.com/
- Comment, Strikers' Eligibility for Public Assistance, 18 Industrial Relations L Digest 84 (Summer 1975)
- Comment, Strikers' Eligibility for Public Assistance: The Standard Based on Need, 52 U Urban L 115 (1974), reprinted at 24 L Rev Digest 14 (July-August, 1974)
- Author: Comment, 52 U Det J Urb L 115 (1974), now "U Det Mercy L Rev"
- University of Detroit School of Law, Moot Court Board of Directors, 1975
- Michigan Super Lawyer, 2006-2019
- Editor-in-Chief, Clarence M. Burton Scholar, 1975
- Best Lawyers in America (Consumer Guide), 2001
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Urban Law, n/k/a University of Detroit-Mercy Law Review, 1975
- Peer reviewed by Martindale-Hubbell AV, Highest Rating
- Member, Michigan State University Varsity Alumni Club, intercollegiate baseball and lacrosse, freshman ice hockey
- The American Society of IRS Problem Solvers, Member
- Business owners, Taxpayers, Investors, Heirs and devisees, Creditors
- American Bar Associations sections on Litigation, Real Property, Trust & Estate Law, Taxation, and Law Practice Management, Member
- Oakland County Bar Association, Member
- Detroit Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Sections on Business Law, Litigation, Probate & Estate Planning, and Taxation, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Tax Court
- Michigan, 1975
- American Bar Ass'n, Sections on Litigation, Taxation, and Probate, Trust and Real Estate Law; State Bar of Michigan, Sections on Litigation, Taxation, and Probate and Trust Law
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan, LL.M., Major: Taxation, 1994
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Major: Labor & Industrial Relations, Honors: M.S.U. Varsity Club, Honors: Dean's List, various Intercollegiate baseball, ice hockey, and lacrosse, 1972
- Business Owners
- Personal Representatives
Office location for Marc E. Thomas
33 Bloomfield Hills Parkway
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
- Super Lawyers: 2006, 2011 - 2012, 2015 - 2016, 2019 - 2023