Raymond J. Sterling
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Bloomfield Hills, MichiganSterling Attorneys at Law, P.C.
At Sterling Attorneys at Law, P.C., Raymond J. Sterling provides employment-related counseling and legal services in a wide variety of employment law matters, including wrongful termination, employment discrimination, employment contracts, severance agreements, noncompete agreements, and change in control agreements. He primarily focuses on employment law litigation and counselling, having won numerous sizeable awards for clients and securing a lifetime spot with the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Mr. Sterling is one of the few attorneys who has received the Super Lawyer award every year since its inception in 2006. With over 38 years of experience, Mr. Sterling accepts cases in the counties and communities surrounding Detroit and throughout Michigan as well as out of state.
Mr. Sterling's track record with nationally publicized, high-profile cases has earned him the respect of his peers. With the highest rating of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell and recognition in The Best Lawyers in America**, Mr. Sterling is known for his impeccable standards and legal ethics. Clients ranging from individuals to corporations know him as one of the country's top wrongful discharge and employment discrimination litigators. He has been provided numerous opportunities to speak on employment law matters at seminars for various bars and associations.
A quality education formed the cornerstone of Mr. Sterling's career. After receiving his Bachelor of Arts in economics from the University of Michigan, graduating cum laude in 1979, Mr. Sterling earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan Law School in 1982. He is admitted to practice law in Michigan.
Mr. Sterling is an active member of the American Bar Association, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority's board of arbitrators, the Oakland County Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan and the National Employment Lawyers Association. He currently serves as chairperson of the Michigan's Attorney Discipline Board panel.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
**The Best Lawyers in America® 2013. Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff, Employment & Labor: Employer, Employment Litigation: Defense
First Admitted: 1982, Michigan
Professional Webpage: http://www.sterlingattorneys.com/Attorneys/Raymond-J-Sterlin...
- Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent AV Rated
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum Lifetime Member
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, 2012
- Best Lawyers in America
- U.S. News and World Report, Best Lawyers
- Chairperson, Attorney Discipline Board Panel
- National Employment Lawyers' Association
- Michigan, 1982
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan, Employment Law Section
- Member, The FINRA Board of Arbitrators
- Mr. Sterling was the lead trial attorney in the nationally publicized case of Mullin v. Airport Authority, winning over $850,000 on behalf of Turkia Mullin, the CEO of the Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Mr. Sterling was the lead trial attorney in the two largest employment discrimination verdicts in the history of the federal court in Michigan -- he won $10.6 million in the internationally-publicized landmark case of Weber v. Infinity Broadcasting (known as the perfume case), and $5.5 million in Morton v. Unisys Corp. Mr. Sterling also won a breach of employment contract case valued at over $10 million in the Wayne County Circuit Court in Martens v. Plastech; he also achieved a $1.0 million judgment for his client in the Oakland County Circuit Court case of Morgan v. Visual Services Inc. and an $850,000 jury verdict in the Oakland County age discrimination case of Sawa v. Koppy Corp.
- Mr. Sterling is a frequent speaker concerning emerging employment law issues at seminars for the Michigan State Bar, the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, and the Oakland County Bar Association.
- Slaying the dragon, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Leaders in the Law, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Woman Fired After Maternity, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Perfume Allergy Sparks $10 Million Verdict, LawyersUSA
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1982
- The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan B.A., in Economics, Cum Laude, 1979
- Employment Law Litigation And Counselling