Thomas H. Howlett
Top Rated Professional Liability Attorney in Bloomfield Hills, MI
Attorney Thomas H. Howlett vigorously pursues cases for individuals and families who have suffered harm due to others' misconduct, undertaking both individual lawsuits and class actions. His primary areas of focus include professional negligence (medical malpractice and legal malpractice), catastrophic injuries, civil rights (wrongful convictions), and consumer class actions.
Mr. Howlett has practiced law in Washington, D.C., Michigan, and in dozens of state and federal courts across the country since 1990. In 1998, Mr. Howlett joined The Googasian Firm, P.C., where he pursues class actions on behalf of consumers, wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases on behalf of individuals and families, and civil rights cases for people wrongly accused. Mr. Howlett has more than 23 years of legal experience, and he utilizes his prior career experience as an investigative reporter on behalf of the people he now represents.
Mr. Howlett also serves the legal community. He currently serves as immediate past president of the Oakland County Bar Association, the State of Michigan's largest voluntary bar association. He also served for many years as chair of the State Bar of Michigan's Law and the Media Committee. He also serves on two committees of the American Bar Association's Law Practice Division.
Mr. Howlett received his undergraduate degree from Harvard College, where he was managing editor of The Harvard Crimson, a daily newspaper. After graduation, he worked as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times and The Dallas Morning News. In 1990, he received his law degree from the University of Michigan Law School. His legal work experience also includes working as a judicial law clerk for a federal district judge and serving for two years as assistant attorney general and counsel in the Republic of Palau, a small Pacific island.
Mr. Howlett's membership has included the State Bar of Michigan, the District of Columbia Bar (inactive), the State Bar of Texas (inactive), the American Bar Association, the American Association of Justice, and the Michigan Association of Justice.
- Use of "Branding" and Other Marketing Efforts in Personal Injury Litigation: Two Case Studies (2001) - Paper addressed the advantages and disadvantages of using a corporiation's branding or marketing efforts when pursuing personal injury litigation against the corporation, using two case studies.
About Thomas H. Howlett
First Admitted: 1992, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: http://www.googasian.com/Thomas-Howlett-googasian-firm.htm
- Harvard College, A.B. Cum Laude, 1984
- OCBA's Distinguished Service Award, 2007
- Recognized as one of 30 Leaders in the Law in the State of Michigan, Leader in the Law, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2016
- Highest, AV Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- OCBA's Distinguished Service Award, 2013
- Vice President, Oakland County Bar Association, 2012
- Commissioner, State Bar of Michigan.
- State and Local Bar Outreach Committee, Law Practice Division, American Bar Association, 2015
- Member, Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, State Bar of Michigan, 2016
- Board Member, Oakland County Bar Association, 2005 - present
- Member, State Bar of Michigan Standing Committee on Professional Ethics, 2015
- Member, American Association of Justice
- Chair, State Bar of Michigan's Law and the Media Committee, 2011 - 2014
- President - Oakland County Bar Association, 2014
- Membership Development Committee, Law Practice Division, American Bar Association, 2015
- Treasurer, Oakland County Bar Association, 2011
- Chair, Lawyer Referral Service Committee, Oakland County Bar Association, 2016
- Member, American Bar Association
- Chair, Oakland County Bar Association, Membership Committee, 2005
- President-Elect - Oakland County Bar Association, 2013
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2013
- Chair, Nominations & Bylaws Committee, Oakland County Bar Association, 2015
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, State Bar of Michigan Standing Committee on Client Protection Fund, 2016
- Member, Michigan Association of Justice
Last Updated: 5/16/2022