Thomas J. McCarthy
Top rated eminent domain attorney in Bloomfield Hills, MichiganMonaghan, P.C.
Thomas J. Mccarthy is the president and chief executive officer of the law firm of Monaghan, P.C., based in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. With his work ethic, commitment to professionalism and personal service and ability to deliver results for his clients, he concentrates his practice on condemnation, schools and education law, general and commercial litigation, land use and zoning, ad valorem property tax appeals and business real estate.
Mr. Mccarthy completed his B.A. in political science and government with distinction in 1980 at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In 1984, he obtained his doctorate in law from Wayne State University Law School. Beginning his career as a commercial litigator in private practice, he moved on to serve as the Director of Special Projects for Wayne County, Michigan, from 1987 to 1993 and functioned as lead condemnation trial counsel for the airport expansion in the 1990s.
Creative and responsive, Mr. Mccarthy has handled cases of all complexities in Michigan trial and appellate courts. An experienced facilitator and mediator, he has recovered over $1 million for his clients across the Detroit metropolitan area. The practical legal solutions he offers his clients enable them to confidently make well-informed decisions throughout the process.
In addition to his memberships with the State Bar of Michigan, the International Right of Way Association and the Detroit Bar Association, Mr. Mccarthy participates in a number of legal organizations that offer him networking opportunities. He practices in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan and the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.
Mr. Mccarthy has been lauded with a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent* rating for his legal ability and high ethical standards. Furthermore, he has a “Very Good” rating from Avvo. An attorney who counsels for a private university in Michigan, he has many of his notable cases published for future references.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEminent domain, Schools & education, General litigation, Land use/zoning, Real estate: business
Education, Schools, Litigation
- 50% Eminent domain
- 20% Schools & education
- 10% General litigation
- 10% Land use/zoning
- 10% Real estate: business
First Admitted: 1984, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://monaghanpc.com/attorneys/thomas-j-mccarthy/
- Selected as a Super Lawyer in Michigan Super Lawyers magazine every year since 2008
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® rating
- Mt. Elliott Cemetery Association v. City of Troy, 171 F3d 398 (1999)
- Michigan Dept. of Transp. v. Frankenlust Lutheran Congregation, 269 Mich App 570, 711 NW2d 453 (2006)
- County of Wayne v. Wayne County Employees Retirement System, 267 Mich App 230; 704 NW2d 117 (2005)
- County of Wayne v. Hathcock, 471 Mich 445 (2004) [amicus curiae, City of Dearborn]
- Member of the International Right of Way Association
- Detroit Bar Association
- Circuit Court and District Count Case Evaluator (Commercial), Oakland County
- Special Mediator (Condemnation)
- Public Corporation Law Section
- Real Property Law Section, Eminent Domain Committee
- State Bar of Michigan, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Real Property Law Section and Public Corporation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- University of Michigan-Dearborn, with distinction, 1980
- And Individuals
- Governmental Entities
- Higher Education Institutions
Office location for Thomas J. McCarthy
33 Bloomfield Hills Parkway
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022