Joseph A. Golden
Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Clinton Township, MI
Attorney Joseph A. Golden is senior counsel to The Sharp Firm, PLLC, in Clinton Township, Michigan. A nationally ranked trial attorney with more than 52 years of total legal experience, Mr. Golden has an extensive amount of legal knowledge and resources he brings to assist clients throughout the greater Detroit metro and surrounding areas with their legal challenges involving any of the following:
· Labor and employment law
· Workplace discrimination
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Golden has gained a reputation as a staunch advocate for the rights and entitlements of workers who have suffered discrimination or other serious violations of their rights as employees, such as wrongful termination. Whether fighting for his clients in court or negotiating favorable settlement agreements outside the courtroom, he maintains an unwavering focus on his clients' needs and helps them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
In honor of his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Golden has earned an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell as well as consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America since 1991. He also holds a listing in the Who's Who in American Law, and he received the Distinguished Service Award from the State Bar of Michigan's Labor and Employment Law Section in 2013. He has also received many other top rankings and endorsements from his peers along with numerous testimonials and referrals from his satisfied clients.
A 1962 graduate of Wayne State University, Mr. Golden obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Detroit's Mercy School of Law in 1967. The State Bar of Michigan admitted him to practice the following year, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit.
A leader in his field, Mr. Golden is a founding member and former president of the National Employment Lawyers Association, and he helped establish the Michigan Employment Lawyers Association, where he currently serves as legislative director. He has also served as chair of the Macomb County Bar Association Masters Section and the American Bar Association's Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, and he serves as secretary and board member of the Macomb County Bar Association.
Mr. Golden is also a member of the Oakland County Bar Association, the American and Michigan Associations for Justice and the State Bar of Michigan, among his other professional affiliations. He is also a fellow with the prestigious College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 60%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 40%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
Articles about Joseph A. Golden appearing in Super Lawyers
About Joseph A. Golden
First Admitted: 1968, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://www.sharpfirmlaw.com/who-we-are/joseph-golden/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation
- “Super Lawyers” Top 100 Attorneys in Michigan, 2013
- State Bar of Michigan – Labor and Employment Law Section – Distinguished Service Award, 2013
- In 1997, Mr. Golden was one of seven plaintiff lawyers to be nationally recognized by The National Law Journal as Who's Who of Employment/labor Lawyers. He has also been honored in Best Lawyers in America continuously since 1990.
- Selected to “Super Lawyers”, 2006-2019
- B.S. in Business Administration from Wayne State University
- $4.38M James N. McKelvey v Pete Geren, Secretary of the United States Army #07-14538 (2009); $2.4M Auvenshire v Troy School District, et al - U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, #02-60233 (2006)
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Founding member National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA); served on NELA's Executive Board from 1985 to 1995; in 1991 was elected to a two-year term as NELA's President; testified before the U.S. House of Representatives' Labor & Education Committee on the proposed Civil Rights Bill of 1991; in 1996 was inducted as a Fellow to the College of Labor & Employment Lawyers; current Legislative Director of the Michigan Employment Lawyers Association (MELA), an organization he founded in 1992.
- American Association for Justice; Michigan Trial Lawyers Association; American Bar Association; Macomb County Bar Association (Co-Chair Masters Section); Michigan Association for Justice; Oakland County Bar Association; National Employment Lawyers Association; Federal Bar Association (Co-Chair Labor & Employment Law Committee and Executive Board, 1985 - 1995); State Bar of Michigan; Michigan Employment Lawyers Association (Legislative Director, Co-Founder );The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Fellow, 1996: Macomb County Bar Association, Secretary & Board Member: Member of the ABA/EEOC Joint Liaison Committee (Michigan) and the Center for Public Resources Employment Disputes Committee: Immediate Past-Chairperson of the Macomb County Bar Association Masters Section , 2019
- Macomb County
Last Updated: 5/15/2022