Top rated intellectual property attorney in Commerce Township, MichiganAmburn Law PLLC
Dean Amburn is the managing partner at the firm Amburn Law in Commerce Township, Michigan. He concentrates his practice exclusively on intellectual property counseling, protection and litigation, including patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright litigation. He also takes on cases that involve patent and trademark applications and prosecution, domain name dispute litigation, and IP agreements.
With over 28 years in the field of law, Mr. Amburn serves as a tenacious litigator and a fierce advocate for the rights of his clients. He gives importance to communicating well with his clients so that they are up to date about every aspect of their case. He also ensures they understand the complex legal jargon associated with their case and readily answers all their queries.
Receiving his Bachelor of Science degree from Michigan State University, Mr. Amburn majored in mathematics and psychology. He obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law in 1992. In 2011, he served as an adjunct professor at the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he taught trade dress and design law.
Mr. Amburn is an active member in his community, and this is seen in his memberships in the Federal Bar Association for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the State Bar of Michigan’s Technology Law Section, the International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association and the Michigan Patent Law Association.
With a “Superb” rating on Avvo, Mr. Amburn has also been honored by other associations, including being named to the list of Lawyer of the Year by The Best Lawyers in America and the list of Best Lawyers by Leading Lawyers in America. Managing IP magazine named him to its list of IP Stars, and DBusiness Magazine listed him on its Top Lawyers. He has also received an AV* Preeminent peer-review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Amburn is also a registered patent attorney. He is admitted to practice in all the state courts of Michigan and before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasIntellectual property, Intellectual property litigation
Patents, Trademarks, Intellectual property law
- 50% Intellectual property
- 50% Intellectual property litigation
First Admitted: 1992, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://amburnlaw.com/team/dean-amburn-2/
- Represented Bombardier Recreational Products in a trademark infringement dispute with Jaguar Land Rover.
- Michigan State University, Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, 1986
- Registered patent attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- U.S. District Court: Western District of Michigan, 2002, 2002
- Admitted to practice in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 1992
- U.S Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- Michigan State Bar Association admission, 1992
- All State Courts in the State of Michigan Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan Federal District Court for the Western District of Michigan Various Other Federal District Court U.S. Court for Appeals for the 6th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit Registered Patent Attorney
- Chapter in Litigation Strategies for Intellectual Property Cases, titled Patent Subject Matter Eligibility, Trade Secret Case Strategies, and ESI Issues in IP Litigation, Thomson Reuters 2012., Wrote Chapter, Litigation Strategies for Intellectual Property Case, 2012
- Annual Patent Camp Company Name MidMichigan Innovation Center Dates volunteeredSep 2014 – Present Volunteer duration4 yrs 4 mos Presented Third Annual Patent Camp to entrepreneurs including information about patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights and IP agreements. Provided guide for preparing and filing provisional patent application, Guest Lecturer, Mid Michigan Annual Patent Camp, MidMichigan Innovation Center, 2014
- Adjunct Professor Company NameThomas M. Cooley Law School Dates Employed2011 – Mar 2011 Employment Durationless than a year Taught trade dress and design law class., Adjunct Professor, Trade dress and design law class., 2011
- ebook titled IP Strategies for Business Managers, ExecSense 2013., IP Strategies for Business Managers, ExecSense, 2013
- http://www.dbusiness.com/Top-Lawyers-2018/index.php/name/Amburn-Dean-W/listing/55606/#.XBPUo1xKg2w , Dbusiness Top Lawyers, Dbusiness Magazine, 2017
- 2013 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Patent , Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Patent, The Best Lawyers in America®., 2019
- 2015 Best Lawyers in America
- 2015 Leading Lawyers
- 2015 & 2016 Top Lawyer by dbusiness Magazine
- 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Patent, and a 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Intellectual Property by The Best Lawyers in America®., Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Patent, The Best Lawyers in America®., 2017
- 2015 & 2016 IP Star by Managing IP Magazine
- Recognized in two categories: Trademark Star Patent Star, IP Stars, Managing IP Magazine, 2016
- Received defense verdict following a three-week jury trial in Jaguar Land Rover v. Bombardier Recreational Products, Case No. 2:16-cv-13386-GAD-SDD in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. The case involved alleged trademark infringement involving the DEFENDER trademark used by JLR on SUVs and by BRP on recreational vehicles. JLR asked the jury for $130 million. The jury returned a no cause of action verdict finding that there was no likelihood of confusion., 2019
Office location for Dean Amburn
4833 Waldon Woods Drive
Commerce Township, MI 48382
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022