Kathryn M. Cushman
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Detroit, MI
Selected to Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013
Kathryn (Katie) M. Cushman is a partner at Breitmeyer Cushman PLLC, with offices in both Detroit and Bloomfield Hills. Since being admitted to practice in 2002, she had handled a multitude of complex cases involving divorce, child custody, child support, parenting time, spousal support disputes, paternity and separate properties issues. She is also skilled in American Sign Language (ASL) and is able to offer special services for the Deaf and hard of hearing community.
Ms. Cushman is a member of the Detroit Bar Association, the Wayne County Family Law Bar Association (President 2018-19), the Oakland County Bar Association, the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan and the Family Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. She is also a fellow with the Oakland County Bar Foundation.
A 1999 graduate of Madonna University, Ms. Cushman earned both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. She then attended the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law where she obtained her Juris Doctor in 2002.
A member of the executive board of the Wayne County Family Law Bar Association, she has also served on the equal access initiative disabilities work group and the justice initiative for the State Bar of Michigan. In 2012, she was named to the Athletics Hall of Fame at Madonna University (women's basketball).
Katie is dedicated, passionate and aggressive when it comes to protecting the best interests of her clients, who are often facing the most challenging time in their lives.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013
About Kathryn M. Cushman
First Admitted: 2002, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://bcfamlaw.com/attorneys/kathrynmcushman/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Regular Volunteer Speaker, Baby Sign Language and Legal Issues for the Beaumont Hospital Parenting Program
- Director of Competitions, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2002
- Moot Court Board of Directors, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2002
- Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2012, 2013
- Senior of the Year Recipient, University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, 2002
- Super Lawyer, 2014-2018
- State Bar of Michigan Committee on Justice Initiatives, Equal Access Initiative Disabilities Work Group
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Incorporated Society of Irish American Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Section
- Wayne County Family Law Bar Association, Executive Board, 2014 to present
- National Association of the Deaf
- Detroit Legal News article, April 2011
- Madonna University Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2012
- Madonna University, B.A. in Sign Language Studies, 1999
- Madonna University, B.S. in Criminal Justice, 1999
- State Bar Of Michigan
- State Bar Of Michigan Disabilities Workgroup
- Wayne County Family Law Bar Association
- Women's Lawyers Association Of Michigan
Last Updated: 5/15/2022