John E. Anding
Top rated Business Litigation attorney in Grand Rapids, MichiganDrew, Cooper & Anding
Partner at Drew Cooper & Anding, John E. Anding represents clients in West Michigan, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and the rest of the state of Michigan. He handles complex commercial litigation, business and commercial litigation, business and commercial law, products liability, consumer protection, banking disputes, real estate law, partnership disputes, fraud, business torts and employment law. Selected by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in 2018-23, Mr. Anding is also on the American Board of Trial Advocates and placed by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel in The Nation’s Top One Percent in 2016-23.
With over 35 years of experience, Mr. Anding is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the National Association of Consumer Advocates, and he is a fellow for the Michigan State Bar Foundation and the State Bar of Michigan. He has represented aggrieved citizens, entrepreneurs, and small and large businesses. In 2015, Grand Rapids Business Journal named him Newsmaker of the Year. Western Michigan University selected him for the Wall of Distinction.
A magna cum laude graduate of Western Michigan University, Mr. Anding obtained his Juris Doctor from Wayne State University Law School in 1979. He has practiced before state and federal courts in various states, including New York, Texas, Michigan, Alaska, Florida and Colorado. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Some of his largest cases include a verdict of $27.5 million for an automotive supplier and a $81 million verdict against a regional bank for facilitating a Ponzi scheme. His experience extends to the banking, automotive and real estate development industries, and he has successfully defended and prosecuted RICO claims. The Michigan Real Property Review published his writing on civil RICO cases and federal judges.
Practice areasBusiness Litigation, Business/Corporate, Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff, Professional Liability: Plaintiff
Contracts, Trade Secret
- 70% Business Litigation
- 10% Business/Corporate
- 10% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 10% Professional Liability: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, Michigan
Professional Webpage: http://www.dca-lawyers.com/people/attorneys/john-anding.aspx
- Federal Bar Association - President, West Michigan Region; State Bar of Michigan - Chairman of Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Order of the Barristers
- National Association of Consumer Advocates, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- "Ten Things a Federal Judge Will Never Tell You About Civil RICO", The Consumer Advocate "Lender Liability: The Done Deal", Michigan Real Property Review
- Small and large businesses, entrepreneurs and aggrieved citizens victimized by pernicious corporate practices
- Catholic Lawyers Association of West Michigan, Past President
- Historical Society for the United States District Court, Western District, Michigan, Board of Trustees
- "Sub Prime Lenders - Fee Junkies": Presented to Michigan Poverty Law Center, 1998-99"The New Predator on the Block - Sub Prime Lenders": NAACP, 2001
- Meoli v. Huntington National Bank (In re Teleservices Group, Inc.), No. 1:12-cv-1113; 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 129909 (W.D. Mich. Sept. 28, 2015)
- Secured Bankruptcy verdict after trial in the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan of $82 million in a fraudulent conveyance action against major midwest regional bank that provided banking services to the perpetrator of a $100 million Ponzi Scheme, 2012
- Venture Industries Corp. v. Autoliv ASP, Inc., 457 F.3d 1322 (C.A. Fed. (Mich.), 2006)
- Venture Global Engineering v. Satyam Computer Systems, 730 F.3d 580 (6th Cir. 2013)
- $27.5 million verdict on behalf of automotive supplier in a breach of contract case before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan - second largest verdict in Michigan , 2003
- Multiple million dollars verdicts ranging from $1.1 million to $27 million. Numerous multi-million dollar settlements on behalf of aggrieved Plaintiffs, many against major financial institutions. Also successfully prosecuted and defended RICO claims including securing verdict on behalf of the farming industry.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Western Michigan University.
- Newsmaker of the Year - Grand Rapids Business Journal: Law, 2015
- "Wall of Distinction", awarded by Western Michigan University
- Selected as among the top 1% of lawyers in the U.S., National Association of Distinguished Lawyers , National Association of Distinguished Lawyers, 2016
- Awarded honor for trial work that has spanned 44 years and involved multiple million and multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of Plaintiffs primarily in business tort litigation, Associate -American Board of Trial Advocates, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2001
- Awarded for trial work that includes many significant verdicts including a $81 million verdict related to a Ponzi scheme and has been featured in an article by Leading Lawyers magazine. , Selected to Leading Lawyers, Leading Lawyers, 2023
- Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation
- Real Estate Development
Office location for John E. Anding
80 Ottawa Avenue NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Super Lawyers: 2011 - 2023