Howard H. Collens
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Huntington Woods, MI
Selected to Rising Stars: 2008
- Virtual Appointments
Counselor and attorney at Galloway and Collens, PLLC, Howard H. Collens represents clients in Michigan and the Detroit metropolitan area in matters of estate planning and probate. His practice areas include long-term care and nursing home Medicaid planning, trust administration, probate and estate administration, nursing home patient advocacy, wills, trusts, powers of attorney, conservatorships and guardianships, elder law, and patient advocate designations and living wills.
In 1991, Mr. Collens graduated from the University of Michigan with honors with a Bachelor of Arts in English. He then attended the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law where he obtained a Juris Doctor in 1994. Admitted to practice in the state of Michigan and before the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, he also completed the Institute of Continuing Legal Education Probate and Estate Planning Program.
A trusted counselor to his clients who uses understanding and compassion to work through the estate planning process, Mr. Collens is also a member of the State Bar of Michigan, he is on the organization’s Elder Law and Disability Rights Section’s legislative committee and he serves as a council member. He is a member of the Legislative Drafting and Development Committee of the State Bar of Michigan's Probate and Estate Planning Section. Mr. Collens is a member of the Wayne County Probate Bar Association, the Elder Law Advisory Board of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, and he has served as chair for the Huntington Woods Senior Advisory Committee.
Mr. Collens was the ELDRS co-chair of the joint workgroup of the Probate and Estate Planning Section and Elder Law Disability Rights Section that focused on establishment or remote witnessing and expanded remote notarization by way of the Governor's Executive Orders and then through passed legislation. He was also instrumental in passing the Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act in Michigan.
To give back to his community, Mr. Collens volunteers and does pro bono work for several organizations. He is a board member of the Area Agency on Aging 1-B and a pro bono attorney for Lakeshore Legal Aid and a COVID-19 Rapid Response Helpline Volunteer for the State Bar of Michigan.
- 40%Estate Planning & Probate
- 40%Estate & Trust Litigation
- 20%Elder Law
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills, Will Contests
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2008
About Howard H. Collens
First Admitted: 1995, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://www.gallowaycollens.com/About-Us/Howard-H-Collens.sh...
Pro bono/Community Service
- Area Agency on Aging 1B, Board Member
- Senior and Caregiver Resource Network, Former Vice President
- Greater Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce, President, 2012
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), Elder Law Advisory Board
- Congregation Shir Tikvah in Troy, Former 2nd Vice President
- Lakeshore Legal Aid, Pro Bono Attorney
- Alzheimer’s Association Greater Michigan Chapter Wraparound Collaborative, Member
- Huntington Woods Senior Advisory Committee, Chair
- Huntington Woods Men's Club, Volunteer
- Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce, Past President
- Boys and Girls Club of Oakland and Macomb Counties, Volunteer
- Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Probate and Estate Planning Program, Certificate of Completion
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, B.A., Honors: With Honors, Major: English, 1991
- ICLE Remote Witnessing and Remote Notarization Co-Presenter, 2020
- Elder Law and Disability Rights Section's Co-Chair of the Joint Workgroup with Probate and Estate Planning Section focusing on remote witnessing and expanded remote notarization, 2020
- ICLE Legislative Update Co-Author, 2020
- State Bar of Michigan, Legislative Committee of the Elder Law and Disability Rights Section, Member
- Michigan, 1995
- State Bar of Michigan, Probate and Estate Planning Section, Member
- Legislation Development and Drafting Committee of the Probate and Estate Planning Section of the State Bar of Michigan, Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Wayne County Probate Bar Association
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
- State Bar of Michigan, Elder Law and Disability Rights Sections, Member
- Trusts and Estates, dBusiness Top Lawyer, 2020
- Certificate of Completion from the Institute of Continuing Legal Education's Probate and Estate Planning Program
- The flight attendants on my @delta flight have gone above and beyond in assisting an older woman who needed extra a… https://t.co/2uciiiNu3x
- @MalloryMcMorrow Thank you senator for your work. There is so much to be done.
- Thank goodness for the boos
- With majority of our lives and assets being managed online, it makes sense to incorporate your digital (cont) https://t.co/egtuupPYyK
- Tomorrow Attorney Howard Collens will give his presentation on Hoarding Issues Impacting Realtors. This 1 (cont) https://t.co/ae0NJ3kJdi
- Should you just leave an inheritance to your special needs child? https://t.co/Y5JOSvTipk
- Today, Attorney Scott Galloway is presenting at a continuing education class entitled "Real Estate Transactions From A-Z" at the Greater M …
- Sorry, Nobody Wants Your Parents' Stuff https://t.co/xAsQHQ31II
Last Updated: 6/24/2022