T. Scott Galloway
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Huntington Woods, MI
A member of Galloway and Collens, PLLC, T. Scott Galloway focuses his practice primarily on real estate transactions and litigation. From the firm’s office in Huntington Woods, Michigan, he represents businesses, including real estate brokerages and contractors, and individuals in the greater Detroit metropolitan area and throughout the state. Admitted to practice before all Michigan state courts since 1994, Mr. Galloway is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Galloway’s experience has encompassed both commercial real estate, residential real estate, real estate brokerage law and professional licensure issues. His client base has been comprised of purchasers, sellers, investors, real estate brokers and agents, contractors, landlords, and commercial tenants. Mr. Galloway also works with religious institutions, helping them to assess their real estate facilities and develop strategic plans for the sale or further development of their real property as well as with the purchase of land or buildings.
Mr. Galloway has additionally worked on matters involving housing and construction defects, disputes between landlords and tenants, land use and zoning issues, conveyances, contractor and subcontractor liens, and contract breaches. He has been very active in organizations related to his practice areas, including having served as a member of the board of directors of the Greater Metropolitan Association of REALTORS. His other professional memberships have included the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. Active in his community as well, Mr. Galloway is a former mayor pro tempore of the city of Ferndale and he has served on the board of directors of several charitable organizations, including the Boys and Girls Club of Oakland and Macomb Counties. He is a graduate of the Indiana University Maurer School of Law and the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor.
About T. Scott Galloway
First Admitted: 1994, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://www.gallowaycollens.com/About-Us/T-S-Galloway.shtml
Other Outstanding Achievements
- As an elected official, assisted with the revisions and rewriting of the City of Ferndale's Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance. As an elected official, oversaw reconstruction and revitalization of infrastructure in the City of Ferndale including a refurbished and expanded courthouse, police department, city hall, public library, community center and also water and sewer infrastructure.
- State Bar of Michigan, Real Property Law Section, Member
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
- Michigan, 1994
- Greater Metropolitan Association of Realtors: Real Estate Transactions A to Z: Mastering the Transaction. Greater Metropolitan Association of Realtors: From Purchase Agreement to the Title Policy: A Legal Perspective.
- ICLE: Short Sales in Nutshell ICLE: Practice Strategies for a Down Economy Series: Advising the Homeowner in Default ICLE: Foreclosure and Short Sale Update 2013 Real Property Law Section: Finding the Silver Lining: Real Estate Opportunities Arising from the Economic Crisis: Short Sales and Foreclosures from the Investor's Perspective Lorman Education Services: Fundamentals of Real Estate Closings in Michigan Sterling Education Services: Landlord Tenant Law Lorman Education Services: Condominium and Planned Community Practice in Michigan
Pro bono/Community Service
- Founding member and current board member of the Greater Realtors Foundation. A charitable foundation associated with the Greater Metropolitan Association of Realtors that has recently placed service animals with Veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Realtor Scholarship Fund, Royal Oak Michigan, 2022
- City of Ferndale Michigan: Mayor Pro Tempore, City Council Member, Police and Fire Board, Plan Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Police and Fire Pension Board, Ordinance Committee Boys and Girls Club of Oakland and Macomb Counties: Trustee Drayton Avenue Presbyterian Church: Elder Ferndale Education Foundation: Board Member
- History - B.A. with Distinction from the University of Michigan - emphasis on United States social history and medieval Islamic history, 1991
- Fraser et al v Chateau Properties, Inc. dba Chateau Communities, Inc. - Novi - US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan - 03-74550 - This class action lawsuit brought by Galloway on behalf of mobile home community residents alleged violations of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act and the Mobile Home Commission Act and resulted in a significant settlement on behalf of the plaintiffs., 2005
- Angelucci v. Dart Properties et al, 301 Mich App 209 (2013) - This class action lawsuit filed by a tenant in Oakland County alleged various tort claims related to a residential landlord tenant relationship. Galloway represented the landlord and moved for a change of venue to Macomb County based upon the majority of contacts with the case including the location of the alleged injury. The tenant argued that MCL 600.1641(1) applied and that venue was proper in Oakland County pursuant to MCL 600.1621(a). The trial court applied MCL 600.1629(1)(b)(i) to change venue to the county where the vast majority of the contacts were and where the alleged injury occurred. The appeals court concluded that MCL 600.1641(2) applied if one of the causes of action pleaded in a multiple cause of action complaint was based on tort, regardless of whether damages sought were for personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death. The court stated that it was overruling Provider Creditors Comm. v. United American Health Care Corp., 275 Mich. App. 90, 94; 738 NW2d 770 (2007), which had applied MCL 600.1641(1) in such a case. Thus, although the tenant did not seek damages for personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death, the application of MCL 600.1641(2) to change venue pursuant to MCL 600.1629(1)(b)(i) was proper because the tenant's complaint included at least one tort.
- Recognized by the largest board of Realtors in Michigan as the outstanding Affiliate Member for 2018, Affiliate of the Year, Greater Metropolitan Association of Realtors, 2018
- Recognized as the outstanding Affiliate Member for 2018, Affiliate of the Year, Women's Council of Realtors - Birmingham Bloomfield Chapter, 2018
- Top Lawyer, dbusiness
- Recognition for over a decade of work promoting and assisting in the revitalization of the Ferndale business district., Special Service Award, Ferndale Chamber of Commerce, 2013
- Making the case for reworking church property to meet community needs, Author, Rethinking Religious Space: Repurposing Land for Sustainable Development, Laches: Oakland County Bar Association Journal, Legal, 2021
- Residential Real Estate Brokers in Birmingham, Michigan Residential Real Estate Brokers in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Residential Real Estate Brokers in Royal Oak, Michigan, Residential Real Estate Brokers in Detroit, Michigan, 2022
- Title company in Royal Oak, Michigan, 2021
- Presbyterian congregations throughout metro Detroit., 2019
- Property Managers
- Real Estate Brokers
- Religious Institutions
- Residential Builders
- Title Companies
Last Updated: 5/15/2022