Susan L. Elkouri
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Novi, MI
Attorney Susan L. Elkouri is a partner at Elkouri Heath, PLC, in Novi, Michigan. Ms. Elkouri practices family law and serves clients throughout the Detroit metropolitan area in cities including Canton, Livonia, Macomb and Novi. She also practices in Oakland County, Wayne County, Livingston County and Washtenaw County.
Ms. Elkouri has experience with all aspects of family law, including complex divorces involving asset division, closely-held businesses, real estate holdings and tax considerations. In addition, she handles matters involving alimony, child custody, child support, post-judgment enforcement and modifications, parentage, paternity and adoptions, including stepparent adoptions.
Licensed to practice law since 1994, Ms. Elkouri is admitted before all Michigan state courts and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. She is a seasoned litigator and certified in alternative dispute resolution methods such as collaborative law and mediation.
Outside of running her family law practice, Ms. Elkouri regularly speaks on family law topics at Schoolcraft College Hinkle Center. She is active in her legal community and belongs to the Oakland County Bar Association, the Wayne County Family Law Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan and the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan.
Ms. Elkouri is a member of the State Bar of Michigan’s Family Law Certificate program and previously served as a moot court judge at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. She has earned recognition for her accomplishments including being named one of the “10 best” by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys in 2018 and 2019. Ms. Elkouri was selected as a Super Lawyer 2018 and 2019. Further, she was chosen as a DBusiness Top Lawyer 2019 and named in Hour Detroit, The Top Women Attorneys in Michigan.
Ms. Elkouri received a bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University. She earned her law degree from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law.
- 100%Family Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights
- Super Lawyers: 2018 - 2022
About Susan L. Elkouri
First Admitted: 1994, Michigan
Professional Webpage: https://www.elkouriheath.com/attorneys/susan-l-elkouri
- Michigan State University, B.A., 1991
- Michigan, 1994
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Wayne County Family Law Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1995
Pro bono/Community Service
- Lecturer at Schoolcraft Hinkle Center
- Collaborative Law Certification
- Certified Mediator
- Certified Collaborative Divorce Law Practitioner
- Domestic Relations Mediator, 2016
- Author of the Chapter Understanding the Collaborative Law Process and its Applications, The Impact of the Uniform Collaborative Law Act, Aspatore Books, part of Thomson Reuters, 2013
- Inside the Minds: The Impact of the Uniform Collaborative Law Act, Chapter: Understanding the Collaborative Law Process and Its Applications, Aspatore Books, 2013.
- Super Lawyers 2019, Super Lawyers 2019, 2019
- Super Lawyers, 2018, Super Lawyers, 2018
- DBusiness has recognized Susan L. Elkouri as an expert in the field of Family Law - 2109 Top Lawyers, DBusiness 2019 Top Lawyers, DBusiness, 2019
- Avvo, Top Attorney
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 10 Best, 2018
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Hour Detroit Top Women Attorneys in Michigan, 2020
- Hour Detroit, The Top Women Attorneys in Michigan, 2018
- DBusiness Top Lawyers, 2018
- Does Cryptocurrency Need to Be Divided in a Michigan Divorce? https://t.co/D60b2xXUt9 https://t.co/Civ9n4lWP3
- How Does Divorce Mediation Work in Michigan? https://t.co/l9vHUBjtYY https://t.co/hX91Nzt4Oq
- Can Single Adults in Michigan Adopt Children? https://t.co/ysixkIeATN https://t.co/UXQYt7g5jF
- My Ex Only Feeds Our Kids Junk Food. Can I Do Something to Stop It? https://t.co/GdsfF29XgE https://t.co/a1rCdWS77m
- Four Tips for Effectively Managing a High-Conflict Michigan Divorce https://t.co/naSUx7s7iS https://t.co/kKTPMUt31t
Last Updated: 5/15/2022