Steven M. Chait
Top rated aviation & aerospace attorney in Waterford, MichiganSteven M. Chait, PLC
An attorney with Steven M. Chait, PLC, Steven M. Chait represents clients in the state of Michigan. His practice areas include personal injury, entertainment and sports law, and aviation and aerospace. Elected as Chairperson of the State Bar of Michigan’s Aviation Law Section four times, he also has his commercial pilot certification for multi-engine land, single land and sea, and instrument airplanes.
Mr. Chait is a Gold Seal Flight instructor and was admitted to practice law in the state of Michigan in 1982. During a career spanning almost four decades, he has worked for clients in matters of aviation torts, aviation accidents, airplane crash litigation, helicopter crash litigation, airport regulation, communication, aviation insurance law and airport law.
In 1973, Mr. Chait graduated from Wayne State University with a Bachelor of Arts. He then pursued his dream of becoming an attorney and attended Michigan State University, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1981. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit. As his law practice covers several niche areas, clients rely on him for his knowledge and experience in complex areas of the law.
Recognized by his peers and his former clients as a highly skilled attorney with a long record of success, Mr. Chait is dedicated to giving his clients the best experience possible as they navigate legal issues they are unfamiliar with. From entertainment law to personal injuries, he gives each case the attention it needs for his clients to feel good about the results.
Practice areasAviation and aerospace, Entertainment & sports, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Aviation, Aviation accidents - plaintiff, Entertainment, sports & leisure law, Personal injury - plaintiff
- 80% Aviation and aerospace
- 10% Entertainment & sports
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1982
- Steve Chait has been elected Chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan on four separate occasions. Steve has participated in setting up, coordinating, and serving as a speaker an average two times per year from 1991 to the present., Founding Member and Council Member involved in Setting up and Speaking at Aviation Law Seminars in Michigan, Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, Aviation, Aviation Safety
- Steve Chait as the newly elected Chairperson for 2022 - 2023 is arranging and speaking at State Bar of Michigan Air Safety Seminars. These seminars are sponsored by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the Michigan Aeronautics Commission , which include topics such as FAA Administrative Law Certificate Enforcement Cases, Ownership and Operation of Aircraft, Tax Law Issues, etc., Steve Chait is the Chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, and is arranging and Speaking at the Seminars, Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan Pilot and Aircraft Maintenance Seminars, Aviation Pilot Safety And Aircraft Mechanic Seminars For 2022 - 2023, 2022
- Wayne State University, B.A., 1973
- Michigan, 1982
- Elected in 2020 to the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan Board of Directors for 2020-2021. I am actively working on a Committee which is working on preparation of Aviation Law Articles for the Michigan Bar Journal's Michigan Aviation Law magazine issue scheduled to be published in mid 2021., 2020
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, 1982
- Elected Chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan four times. Steve was elected Chairperson of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan in October 2022 for the fifth time. No other person has ever been elected Chairperson this many times in the history of the Aviation Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. Steve was also a Founding Member of the Aviation Law Section., 2022
- Steve Chait first soloed an Airplane on July 18, 1969. Steve has qualified for, and will receive in early 2021, the prestigious Orville and Wilbur Wright Master Pilot Award from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for Steve's 51 years of safely flying Airplanes with no accidents, no Violations of any Federal Aviation Regulations, and for Steve's contribution to Aviation Safety by arranging and speaking at Aviation Law/Aviation Safety Seminars every year since 1991in the State of Michigan, and nationwide., Federal Aviation Administration Orville and Wilbur Wright Master Pilot Award, Federal Aviation Administration, 2021
- This Award was given to Steve Chait in 2021 by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This Award is the highest award given by the FAA to civilian pilots. There are approximately 650,000 FAA Certificated Pilots, and only approximately 5,000 Master Pilot Awards have been awarded, which is less than 1% of all Certificated Pilots. Although this Award was awarded to Steve in 2021, this Award Ceremony was the topic of the Headline Story in the Friday, October 14, 2022 issue of the Detroit Legal News, entitled "FLYING SKY HIGH." which reported on the FAA Award Ceremony awarding the Master Pilot Award to both Steve Chait, and attorney Bill Abbatt., FAA Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award Detroit Legal News Article, Federal Aviation Administration, 2022
- Steve Chait is an Executive Producer and the Production Attorney for Wolf Hound Productions, LLC. Steve handled all Legal Work in the making of the Independent World War II Aviation Action Motion Picture, "Wolf Hound," which was based on True Facts, and which used all authentic World War II Fighter and Bomber Airplanes (no Computer Generated Airplanes) in Aerial Dog Fighting Scenes (75 to 80 year old Airplanes). Steve also raised all funding for the making of "Wolf Hound." In late 2021, Steve negotiated the acquisition of "Wolf Hound" by Lionsgate, a Major Hollywood Studio. "Wolf Hound" received a Theatrical Release throughout the US and Canada on June 3, 2022, and was also released on Streaming Services including Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. Lionsgate released the "Wolf Hound" DVD and Blu Ray Home Packages on July 12, 2022. Wolf Hound is now showing on the STARZ Platform and the 20th Century Fox owned Tubi Platform. "Wolf Hound" is now selling around the World, through Foreign Sales which are also being supervised by Steve. "Wolf Hound" greatly overperformed Lionsgate's expectations, and charted as the number 13 to number 20th Best Selling new Movies on Amazon Prime for a full 12 weeks. The New York Times reviewed "Wolf Hound" and listed "Wolf Hound" as one of the top Five Action Movies to Stream in 2022. EAA Airventure 2022 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the largest annual Aviation Convention in the world, selected "Wolf Hound" as their Aviation Movie of the Night on Thursday, August 28, 2022 at their Fly In Theater, and an audience of more than 800 were in attendance as Steve Chait and his son, Director Michael B. Chait were interviewed, and introduced "Wolf Hound." Lionsgate has now asked Steve and Steve's son, Director Michael B. Chait, to make a second Motion Picture, a Western Action Movie called "Showdown." Steve is also handling all of the Production Legal Work and fund raising for "Showdown.", 2022
- Steve Chait is serving as the sole Entertainment Attorney, and Executive Producer on a Major Motion Picture which is scheduled to premier world wide in 2021. "Wolf Hound" is a World War II, Aviation Action Movie with a multi Million Dollar Budget. The Production Company, which was set up by Steve, is Wolf Hound Productions, LLC. Post Production on "Wolf Hound" is expected to conclude in early January, 2021. In addition to all Screen Actors Guild Negotiations and Contracts, Steve also personally raised the entire Production Budget for "Wolf Hound." Steve is currently engaged in negotiating the Sale of the United States and International Distribution Rights to "Wolf Hound," to a Major California Studio. Steve is a member of the Arts, Communications, Entertainment and Sports Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan.
Office location for Steven M. Chait
6515 Highland Rd Ste 100
Oakland County International Airport Office
Waterford, MI 48327
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2022