Terrence A. Merritt
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Apple Valley, MN
Attorney Terrence A. Merritt is a shareholder with Dougherty, Molenda, Solfest, Hills & Bauer P.A. law firm in Apple Valley, Minnesota. A top-rated attorney with more than 42 years of legal experience, Mr. Merritt provides highly personalized counsel and support to clients throughout Dakota County, the greater Twin Cities metro area and all across the state who have legal needs involving any of the following:
- Estate planning and probate
- Elder law
- Municipal law
- Dispute resolution and mediation
A native of Minnesota, Mr. Merritt has a genuine concern for the legal issues that affect the residents of his community, and he has gained a reputation for delivering the individualized attention his clients need to make the best-informed decisions on the matters that will affect them and their families for years to come. Focusing primarily on estate planning and administration, he has assisted hundreds of clients with establishing and enforcing their final wishes for the future while helping them to create a lasting legacy for their heirs and loved ones.
An effective problem solver, Mr. Merritt has extensive experience with mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, and he holds his certification as a qualified neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice. Whether inside or outside the courtroom, he maintains an unwavering focus on protecting his clients' rights and interests and helping them to achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
A graduate of the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science in communication disorders, Mr. Merritt began his legal career in 1977 after obtaining his Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School and his license to practice from the Minnesota State Bar Association. Along with practicing before all Minnesota state courts, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Merritt is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Dakota County Bar Association and the First Judicial District Bar Association, and he has served as charter member and Master of the Bench of the Richard T. Oakes American Inn of Court.
Committed to his local community as well, he has served as president of the Apple Valley Rotary Club, executive director of the Minnesota Municipal Board and board member of the Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce. He also served as parish council chair for the St. John Neumann Church from 1999 to 2000.
About Terrence A. Merritt
First Admitted: 1977, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.dmshb.com/Attorneys/Terrence-A-merritt.shtml
- Super Lawyers, 2014 - 2018
- Presenter, Annual Township Legal Seminar, the annual Municipal Clerks and Finance Officers Association Conference, Estate Planning, Augustana Center, 2008
- University of Minnesota, B.S., Communication Disorders
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- First Judicial District Bar Association
- Dakota County Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Supreme Court
Pro bono/Community Service
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce, Past Board Member
- Church of St. John Neumann, Parish Council Chair, 1999 - 2000
- Minnesota Municipal Board, Executive Director, 1979 - 1995
- Richard T. Oakes American Inn of Court, Charter Member and Master of the Bench
- Apple Valley Rotary Club, Past President
- Apple Valley Rotary Club, Member
- Qualified Neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice
Last Updated: 5/15/2022