Alan S. Milavetz
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Brooklyn Center, MN
- Free Consultation
- Virtual Appointments
Alan S. Milavetz has been a trial lawyer for 36 years. His Minnesota practice includes motor vehicle, wrongful death, brain injury, spinal injury and Mass Tort cases. Mr. Milavetz has resolved thousands of claims arising out of wrongful death, automobile accidents, brain injuries, personal injuries and medical malpractice.
A graduate of William Mitchell College of Law, Mr. Milavetz is also a certified rule 114 arbitrator and a civil law mediator. He is licensed to practice law in all Minnesota state and federal courts and is a member of the Minnesota and American Association for Justice. Mr. Milavetz is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, representing a group of plaintiffs’ lawyers who have achieved multi-million-dollar verdicts, awards or settlements.
Mr. Milavetz is strongly committed to helping those in need, professionally and personally. Mr. Milavetz is an active community member. He is a leadership award recipient and serves as a director on numerous boards. He has participated in overseas humanitarian missions in the former Soviet Union and Israel, and is an avid genealogist. Mr. Milavetz is a Graduate of the FBI Citizens Academy. He and his wife have four children.
In 2010, Minnesota Lawyer Named Alan Milavetz as One of Its Attorneys of the Year. Mr. Milavetz was again named as a Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year in 2020.
Mr. Milavetz litigated the case of Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., et. al. v. United States of America and obtained an order declaring portions of the Bankruptcy Act of 2005 unconstitutional. The 8th Circuit issued its decision at Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A. v. U.S., 541 F.3d 785, (8th Cir. 2008). The Supreme Court of the United States granted certiorari on June 8, 2009. The case was heard by the U.S. Supreme Court on December 1, 2009, and its decision was issued on March 8, 2010. You can find the Supreme Court's opinion construing the Bankruptcy Reform Act at 130 S. Ct. 1324 (2010).
Alan S. Milavetz has been named as one of Minnesota's Super Lawyers more than 15 times. A Super Lawyer is an individual who has been voted as one of Minnesota's top 5 percent of attorneys, by other attorneys. In 2008, Mr. Milavetz was selected as a "Top 100 Trial Lawyer" by The American Trial Lawyers Association. In 2007, Mr. Milavetz was selected as a Top 40 Personal Injury Attorney by Minnesota Law & Politics. Alan is also rated AV* by the respected, nationwide Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. The ratings are developed by obtaining confidential opinions from lawyer adversaries and judges before whom the lawyer has appeared. Ability rating categories are A, B, C and no rating. An "A" rating is the "very high to preeminent" category -- the highest rating possible. It signifies that the lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence, recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity. The "V" rating is the highest for adherence to ethical standards, reliability and diligence.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Animal Bites, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Slip and Fall, Wrongful Death, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Class Actions, Toxic Torts, Pharmaceutical
- Super Lawyers: 1999 - 2002, 2005 - 2011, 2015 - 2022
- Effects of Bankruptcy On Personal Injury Claims In Recessionary Times - The paper addresses the issues presented to a personal injury attorney that arise should his or her client file for bankruptcy protection. It was presented at The winter AAJ Convention.
- Recurring Blog Page - Regular, recurring Blog posts on matters relevant to consumers.
About Alan S. Milavetz
First Admitted: 1985, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: http://www.milavetzlaw.com/our-attorneys/alan-s-milavetz
Pro bono/Community Service
- Campaign CoChair, St. Paul Federation for Jewish Services
- Organizer, Chair, Committee Member, TTSP 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament, 2001 to present
- Junior Achievement Upper Midwest Volunteer, Olson Middle School., 2015
- Twin Cities Cardozo Society Annual Dinner Co-Chair, 2017
- Campaign Chair, United Jewish Fund & Council 2002 - 2003
- United Jewish Fund Council President, 2004 - 2006
- Trustee, Mt. Zion congregation, St. Paul 2001 - 2005
- Volunteer Attorney, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
- Current Board member, Harry Kay Foundation 2019 St. Paul Public Member, Harry Kay Foundation, 2004 - 2006
- Judge, American Bar Association, 2013-14 Negotiation Competition. Law Student Division., 2013
- NorthStar Lawyers, Minnesota State Bar Association recognition of pro bono legal services., 2021
- Executive Committee Member, United Jewish Fund & Council, St. Paul, 1998 - 2010
- Cardozo Society Legal Aid Clinic, Steering Committee, Member
- Vice President, Henry Sibley Debate Boosters, Inc., a 501c3 Corporation, 2005 - 2010
- Chair, CBRC, 2016
- Board Member, Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest, 1995 - 1996
- Recognized at Cardozo Society as Volunteer Attorney, Legal Aid Society, 2013
- Chair, Central Budget Review Committee, JewishFederation of Greater St. Paul, 2014
- President, The United Jewish Fund & Council unites, 2004 - 2006
- Vice President, Friends of B'nai Abraham, 2004 - Present
- President, Henry Sibley Debate Boosters, Inc., a 501c3 Corporation, 2004
- Board Member, Jewish Historical Society of Upper Midwest, 1995 - 1996
- Board Member and Officer Friends of B'nai Abraham
- Volunteer Attorney, SMRLS Legal Aid Clinic
- Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., et. al. v. United States of America, 130 S. Ct. 1324, 2010
- Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., et. al. v. United States of America and obtained an order declaring portions of the Bankruptcy Act of 2005 unconstitutional
- The 8th Circuit issued its decision at Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A. v. U.S., 541 F.3d 785, (8th Cir. 2008) The Supreme Court of the United States has granted certiorari on June 8, 2009
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1985
- Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2014
- National Trial Lawyers, Member
- National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100, 2020
- Cardozo Society, Steering Committee
- Dakota County Bar Association, Member
- Cardozo Society, Member of Steering Committee. Annual Dinner Co Chair, 2018
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member
- Member, Mass Tort Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, 1985 - Present
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association (MTLA)
- U.S. Tax Court, 1986
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 2000 - Present
- Minnesota, 1985
- Minnesota Injury Victims and their Families
- The Upper Midwest
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, B.A., Major: Speech - Communications, 1980
- Minnesota State Bar Association Certified Mediation Skills Training, 1996
- Rule 114 Arbitration Certification, 1996
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Featured in ABA Journal, "A Debt Defying Act. Courts say part of embattled bankruptcy law violates First Amendment", 2009
- 2020 Minnesota Lawyers Attorneys of the Year., 2020
- Featured in Pioneer Press story regarding unsafe crosswalks on Snelling Ave., 2015
- CNN, Guest Appearance, The Nancy Grace Show, 2009
- Featured in William Mitchell periodical with father, "Mitchell Alums Robert Milavetz ’63 and Alan Milavetz ’84 headed to U.S. Supreme Court on Dec. 1"
- Featured in The National Law Journal, Nov 30,2009, "Big Fight for a Small Firm"
- Graduate, F.B.I. Citizens Academy, 2015
- An intro video of legal services provided., Find The Right Lawyer, Minnesota Accident Victims, 2020
- A guide for legal consumers to help choose the right injury lawyer for themselves. ISBN: 978-0-578-73311-1, Choosing the Right Injury Lawyer, Consumers, 2020
- Faculty, American Association for Justice, Winder Convention, AAJ, 2010
- Speaker, American Bar Association, 2010, 2010
- Speaker, "Milavetz v. U.S., Implications for Practitioners", May 6, 2010, Minnesota C.L.E.
- Speaker, "Effects of Bankruptcy on Personal Injury Claims in Recessionary Times"
- Speaker, ABA Seminar, "Are You A Debt Relief Agency? The Consequences of Milavetz v. U.S."
- Genealogy Seminars
- Speaker Multiple, Jewish Genealogy, Synagogue Restoration
- Mock Trial Judge, Mock Trial, Minnesota Mock Trial, 1990, 1989
- Recognized in Circle of Excellence for multiple time recognition., 2020 Minnesota Lawyer Attorneys of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2021
- Attorney of the Year Award, Minnesota Lawyer, February 18, 2010 - Present
- Lawsuits of the Year, Last Call For Sidelines, Minnesota Law & Politics, Dec/Jan 2009
- Dr. David Tennenbaum Leadership Award, UJFC (United Jewish Fund and Council), St. Paul
- Annual Dinner Chair, Cardozo Society Annual Dinner, 2017, 2018
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2009
- Top 100 Trial Layers, The American Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America, 2006 - Present
- Top 40 Personal Injury Attorneys, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2007
- The Lawdragon 3000 Leading Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America, 2006 and 2007
- Lawsuits of the Year, Gagged and Bound, Minnesota Law & Politics, Dec/Jan 2009
- Attorneys of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, February 18, 2010
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Multiple Appearances in Top Verdict, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2000 - 2001
- Minnesota Super Lawyers: Fifteen Years
- Top Personal Injury Recoveries, Minnesota Law & Politics, multiple appearances
- Minnesota's Top Personal-Injury Lawyers, MN Law & Politics, 2000
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubble Law Directory
- Minnesota Super Lawyers: Ten Years
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Minnesota Law & Politics Superlawyer, January 1, 2004 - Present
- The Nancy Grace Show - CNN Guest Appearance, 2009 - Present
Last Updated: 5/15/2022