Barbara Nilva Nevin
Top rated Family Law attorney in Brooklyn Center, MinnesotaMilavetz Law, P.A.
Barbara Nilva Nevin is a family law attorney with Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., serving people throughout Minnesota, including Minneapolis and the Twin Cities area. She has worked at this law firm since 1987. After receiving a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Minnesota, Ms. Nevin decided to pursue a career in law. She earned her Juris Doctor from the Mitchell Hamline School of Law and was admitted to practice in Minnesota in 1979.
Ms. Nevin shares her experience of more than 40 years in family law and bankruptcy with other attorneys throughout the country as a lecturer for continuing legal education programs. She is the author of several legal publications, and she holds memberships in the American Association for Justice and the Hennepin County Bar Association, the Eighth District Bar association, as well as the Family Law and Bankruptcy sections of the Minnesota State Bar Association. Ms. Nevin currently serves as a Hennepin County Conciliation Court referee.
In 2009, Ms. Nevin and her colleagues at Milavetz, Gallop & Milavetz, P.A., successfully questioned the constitutionality of portions of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act as a plaintiff before the U.S. Supreme Court. She focuses her practice primarily on litigation and handles a wide range of legal matters, including the following: divorce, prenuptial agreements, custody and visitation, alimony and spousal support, child support, adoption, domestic violence, children's rights, ethics, sexual harassment, motor vehicle defects, legal malpractice, pharmaceutical products and foreclosures. Ms. Nevin has successfully won numerous reversals of district court rulings in the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
Ms. Nevin Spoke in 2017 at the American Association for Justice Winter Conference on "Grandparent Custody in Wrongful Death Proceedings. In 2018 she spoke at the American Association Justice Winter conference on representing "Personal Injury Clients Who File Bankruptcy." For each class she authored an article. She spoke in 2021 at the American Association for Justice Winter Conference on "Protecting Personal Injury Settlements in a Divorce." She authored a paper on that for the conference as well.
Community service is important to Ms. Nevin. She is the mother and the daughter of a veteran, and is extremely active in organizations that support veterans and military personnel, including Beyond the Yellow Ribbon where she serves as Vice Chair. She also worked to help establish the Veteran's Diversion Court in Carver County and currently serves on the Board of this court. Ms. Nevin is a member of the Chanhassen Rotary, and is currently active in their scholarship committee which awards scholarships to high school students in the community. Ms. Nevin also volunteers at SMRLS during the year. (a legal aid organization.) Ms. Nevin was given the Distinguished Service Award by the Chanhassen Rotary in 2017. She continues to be involved as a Chanhassen High School Student mentor through STRIVE. She has also has a substitute teaching license in Minnesota for all grade levels.
Ms. Nevin is a proud grandmother to three grandchildren and enjoys traveling to spend time with them. Ms. Nevin and her partner Ben Jeffrey, a former U.S. Marine Captain have enjoyed international travel and had a chance to visit Normandy Beach in 2017. (Both had parents that were WW2 veterans.)
* Ms. Nevin is a debt relief agent. She helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Practice areasFamily Law, Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff, Bankruptcy: Consumer, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Paternity, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Sexual Abuse - Plaintiff, Toxic Torts
- 40% Family Law
- 30% Class Action/Mass Torts: Plaintiff
- 20% Bankruptcy: Consumer
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: http://www.milavetzlaw.com/our-attorneys/barbara-nilva-nevin
- One of my peers selected me for this honor and I will be honored at a gathering on December 8, 2022., Picked as a Minnesota Icon in the lawyer community., Minnesota Lawyer, 2022
- Chanhassen Rotary Club’s Distinguished Service Award, 2017
- Alan Milavetz, Bob Milavetz, Chad Schulze and myself received this award for challenging the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005 at the US Supreme Court., Lawyer of the year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2009
- WCCO Good Neighbor Award, 2017
- Mentor to a Chanhassen High School Student through the Chanhassen Rotary. I also am a member of the Chanhassen Rotary.
- Volunteer at feed my starving children.
- Volunteer at Southern Minnesota Legal Services St. Paul
- Member of the Beyond the Yellow Ribbon Chanhassen, currently Vice Chair.
- Substitute teacher license for the State of Minnesota.
- Conciliation Court Referee for Hennepin County.
- Member, Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, Banrkuptcy Section of the Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association, Family Law Section, 1979 - 2020
- Member, American Trial Lawyers Association, Pharmaceutical and Toxic Torts.
- Member, American Association for Justice
- Member, Family Law section of the Hennepin Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Bar, Bankruptcy Section
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association, 1987 - Present Member of the Eighth District Bar Association.
- Member, Family Law section of the Minnesota Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Bar, Family Law Section
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, B.A., Honors: Honors Participant, Major: English
- Kayachith v. Athakhanh, 83 N.W. 2d 729 (Minn App 2001)
- In Re SF, 582 N.W. 2d 500 (Minn App 1992.)
- Joel vs. Wellman, 551 N.W. 2d 729 (Minn App 1996)
- The article presents advice to attorneys whose personal injury clients have filed bankruptcy. The article lists steps the attorney can take to protect the settlement. I presented this topic at the American Association for Justice Winter Convention for 2018., Author/Speaker, Representing Personal Injury Clients Who File Bankruptcy, American Association for Justice, 2018
- My paper is written to national audience on how to protect a personal injury settlement in a divorce. I have summaries for case law of 50 states and give practice tips which are relevant for all states., author and will be speaker on February 9, 2021 at the American Association for Justice Winter Conference, "How to Protect a Personal Injury Settlement When You Client is Going Through a Divorce", Personal Injury And Family Law., 2020
- I authored a paper on representing clients who have custody of a grandchild when the parents are killed in an accident. Often third parties become conflicted as relatives may wish to control a case of that nature. , author/speaker, "Representing Third Party Custody Clients during Personal Injury Matters", 2017
- How to Argue a Case Before the MN Supreme Court Family Law Forum, 11, Author, 2002
- I was asked to author this article by the Minnesota Family Law Section., author, Resolve fee Disputes Efficiently Through Arbitration, 70, 2001, Minnesota Family Law Journal, 2001
- Milavetz Gallop and Milavetz P.A.'s Challenge to the Ill Conceived and Poorly Written "Bankruptcy Abuse and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. (BAPCPA).", 2010, author, Milavetz Gallop and Milavetz P.A.'s Challenge to the Ill Conceived and Poorly Written "Bankruptcy Abuse and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. (BAPCPA).", 2010, 2010
- speaker, First Amendment Rights under the Bankruptcy Reform Act, Minnesota Bar Association, 2009
- "Representing a Personal Injury Client Going Through Bankruptcy." By Barbara Nevin and Gregory Malush. It was presented by Mr. Malush at the Minnesota Association for Justice on March 12, 2018., author, Representing a Personal Injury Client Going Through Bankruptcy., 2018
- "Third Party Custody", Minnesota Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2005
- "Grandparent Rights", William Mitchell Law School, Guest Speaker, 1996
- "Milavetz, v. U.S. - Implications for Practitioners", MCLE Webcast, 2010
- I am currently representing numerous veterans in multidistrict litigation against 3M manufacturing for defective ear plugs. The cases are venued in the Northern District of Florida and I passed a federal local rules test for that court in order to direct file cases in that venue., 2020
Office location for Barbara Nilva Nevin
1915 57th Avenue North
Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
- Super Lawyers: 1999 - 2004, 2006 - 2023