Blake R. Nelson
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Edina, MN
Selected to Rising Stars: 2001 - 2002
Blake R. Nelson, a partner with Hellmuth & Johnson, serves the Twin City areas of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota, with great distinction, and he is the chair of the firm’s Construction Law Group. Although he represents all types of privately held businesses, Mr. Nelson’s primary focus is on the needs of the construction industry, specifically, construction and real estate law and litigation, general corporate representation, and creditors’ remedies.
After learning firsthand about the construction business while working in his family’s lumberyard, Mr. Nelson pursued his undergraduate education at Gustavus Adolphus College and received Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and English. He then attended what was then known as William Mitchell College of Law, and in 1995, he was awarded his Juris Doctor. Admitted to practice in Minnesota and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Mr. Nelson has been certified as a specialist in real property law by the Minnesota State Bar Association.
Mr. Nelson's caseload has encompassed real property purchases, sales, and development, mechanic’s liens, business advice and counsel, regulatory compliance, the preparation and review of commercial real estate leases, buy-sell agreements, entity formation, and equity and debt financing transactions. He has written numerous articles on subjects related to his practice areas, and he is a frequent lecturer on construction law and creditor issues.
Mr. Nelson’s professional affiliations include the Hennepin County Bar Association, the Construction Lawyers Society of America and the Minnesota State Bar Association. Held in high regard by his fellow attorneys, he has received an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and a "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 30%Real Estate: Business
- 40%Construction Litigation: Business
- 10%Creditor Debtor Rights: Business
Business Formation and Planning
- Super Lawyers: 2002 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2001 - 2002
Certificates and Credentials
- MSBA Board Certified Specialists
About Blake R. Nelson
First Admitted: 1995, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://hjlawfirm.com/minneapolis-attorneys/blake-r-nelson/
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- AV peer-review rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2005
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal's "40 Under Forty" top business leader in 2009
- Multiple-year member of the Minnesota Super Lawyers list
- Regular contributor to various real estate and construction industry publications
- Frequent speaker and teacher for seminars and continuing education classes in the construction and real estate industries.
- Gustavus Adolphus College, Bachelor of Arts, majoring in both English and Political Science, cum laude
- Real Property Law Specialist, 2000
- Closely Held Business
- Real Estate
Last Updated: 7/19/2022