Timothy D. Lees
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Edina, MN
Selected to Rising Stars: 1999
- Free Consultation
Timothy D. Lees is a family law attorney based in Edina, Minnesota. Mr. Lees is the founder of Lees Family Law, Ltd., and serves clients throughout Minnesota. He has been practicing law for over 28 years and is an experienced family law practitioner and litigator.
Mr. Lees handles a variety of family law issues, including those involving divorce, custody, property division and spousal maintenance. He is a strong negotiator and capable of helping his clients resolve even the most complex cases. When litigation is necessary, he is an experienced trial attorney in the courtroom, dedicated to fighting for the rights of his clients.
Committed to serving his legal community, Mr. Lees regularly participates in the Ramsey County Family Court Legal Clinic. He has spoken at continuing legal education events and for the Minnesota Sheriffs’ Association. He is an active member of the Ramsey County Bar Association and the Minnesota State Bar Association and a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
After earning a bachelor’s degree from Gustavus Adolphus College, Mr. Lees graduated cum laude from William Mitchell College of Law, now known as Mitchell Hamline School of Law. He holds licenses to practice law before all Minnesota state courts, the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, the Prairie Island Indian Community and the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
Prior to founding Lees Family Law, Ltd., Mr. Lees practiced at two private law firms. He spent three years as an associate at a firm and then 15 years as a shareholder at another firm before opening his firm in 2014. Outside of his law practice, he contributes his time to various causes. He volunteers with GiGi’s Playhouse: Down Syndrome Achievement Centers and the Special Olympics.
- 90%Family Law
Adoption, Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Appeals
- Super Lawyers: 2002 - 2003, 2021 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 1999
About Timothy D. Lees
First Admitted: 1993, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.leesfamilylaw.com/attorney/lees-timothy-d/
- Geske v. Marcolina, 624 NW 2d 813 , 2001, Minn. Ct. App.
- Tressler v. Tressler, CX-02-1861 , 2003, Minn. Ct. App
- , Law and Politics Super Lawyer
- , Law and Politics Rising Star
- Prairie Island Indian Community Tribal Court
- I am a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, and the Ramsey County Bar Association.
- Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux (Dakota) Tribal Court, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2000
- Minnesota, 1993
- I graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., Bachelor of Arts in 1989, with a major in Economics, and a minor in Scandinavian Studies. For one year I attended college in Sweden, at Sorangen's Folkhogskola, in Nassjo Sweden, with all classes taught in Swedish. I graduated from Minnetonka Senior High in 1985
- Presented a CLE on July 14, 2014, to the Minnesota State Sheriff's Association, entitled: "Family Law: Custody and Parenting Time Orders", Faculty, 2014
- Family Court Orders, Minnesota Association of Sheriffs, 2014
- Presented a CLE entitled: "A Primer on the Unfortunate and Common Intersection of Family Law and Criminal Law", Faculty - 2018 Minnesota CLE Family Law Institute, Minnesota CLE Family Law Institute, 2018
- Presented a CLE on July 7, 2016, entitled: "Top 10 Family Law Issues", Faculty, Minnesota CLE, 2016
- Presented a CLE on April 14, 2016, entitled: "Informal Discovery: What's THAT All About?", Faculty, Minnesota CLE Family Law Institute, 2016
Last Updated: 5/15/2022