Barry S. Edwards
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
Always placing the needs of his clients first, Mr. Edwards delivers highly personalized counsel to those he serves in order to fully understand their situations and devise the most effective strategies possible to help them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve efficiently and cost-effectively. At all turns, he maintains an unwavering focus on protecting his clients' rights and interests, and he has earned a reputation as one of the leading lawyers in his area for criminal defense.
Mr. Edwards has handled thousands of criminal cases from minor traffic violations to homicide, including drug possession and sales, assault, domestic assault, illegal use or possession of firearms, and criminal sexual conduct. He has navigated from bail negotiations through trial with regular client contact and input – because he recognizes that each client is different. Mr. Edwards is also skilled at negotiating resolutions that avoid collateral sanctions such as job loss, losing housing opportunities, predatory offender registration, and administrative agency sanctions.
A 1987 graduate of Grinnell College with a Bachelor of Arts in English, Mr. Edwards worked as a managing editor of a bimonthly political journal in Washington, D.C. He then earned a Ph.D. in English from the University of Minnesota in 1995 and served as English professor at several area universities and colleges before pursuing his legal career. He then attended the University of Minnesota Law School, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 2001.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Edwards is a member of the Hennepin County and Minnesota State Bar Associations, the National College for DUI Defense, the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Volunteer Lawyers Network, among his other professional affiliations. Along with maintaining a successful legal practice, he also has experience with appeals and has argued or briefed cases before the Minnesota and U.S. Supreme Courts.
- 90%Criminal Defense
- 10%Family Law
Assault & Battery, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Sex Offenses, Theft, Traffic Violations, Criminal Domestic Violence, Adoption, Divorce
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2022
About Barry S. Edwards
First Admitted: 2001, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://kellerlawoffices.com/attorney/barry-s-edwards/
- Managing editor of the “Ripon Forum,” a bi-monthly journal of politics
- B.A. from Grinnell College in 1987 with a degree in English
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 1995
- Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers
- Eyewitness ID Jury Instruction and Litigation Strategy Group
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Supreme Court of the United States
- National College for DUI Defense
- MSCJ (Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice) Source Code Coalition
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association Criminal Law Section---Executive Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- NOT GUILTY JURY VERDICT: Drug DWI Charge: After a single-car accident, client's blood was drawn pursuant to a search warrant, it showed the presence of a schedule V prescription drug, and she was charged with felony DWI. I tried the case to a jury and got a Not Guilty verdict by showing errors in investigation and police work, 2020
Last Updated: 8/1/2022