David J. Risk
Top rated DUI-DWI attorney in Minneapolis, MinnesotaHalberg Criminal Defense
Practice Areas: DUI-DWI, Criminal Defense, Appellate; view more
Licensed in Minnesota since: 1999
Education: William Mitchell College of Law
Halberg Criminal Defense7900 Xerxes Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55431 Visit website
Attorney David J. Risk is a partner at Halberg Criminal Defense in Bloomington, Minnesota. Mr. Risk dedicates his practice to criminal defense, handling cases involving assault, burglary, child pornography, drug crimes, DWI, forgery, fraud, hit and run, kidnapping, murder, probation issues, terroristic threats, theft, vehicle and property forfeiture, white collar crime and more. He represents clients in the Twin Cities metropolitan area and Minnesota statewide.
A magna cum laude graduate of William Mitchell College of Law (now known as Mitchell Hamline School of Law), Mr. Risk has been admitted to practice in all Minnesota state courts since 1999. After beginning his legal career as a public defender, he began practicing private criminal defense in 2005.
Over the course of his career, he has litigated a wide range of cases, from those involving misdemeanor traffic offenses to those involving first-degree murder charges. In an effort to better represent defendants in DWI cases, he trained to become certified as an operator of two types of breath test machines that police commonly use to measure drivers' blood alcohol content.
Mr. Risk has lectured for other attorneys at continuing legal education seminars on DWI defense and a variety of other criminal defense topics. He served as a member of the board of directors for Criminal Defense Services, Inc., from 2003-2018 and as a volunteer coach for the Hamline University School of Law mock trial team.
Active in professional organizations, Mr. Risk is a member of the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and has served as the president of the Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice.
Practice areasCriminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal Defense, Appellate
Appeals, DUI/DWI, Expungement, Theft
- 50% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 40% Criminal Defense
- 10% Appellate
First Admitted: 1999, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.halbergdefense.com/attorney-risk.html
- BA in Religion Class of 1994
- Minnesota Society for Criminal Justice, Member and Past President
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Magna Cum Laude, William Mitchell College of Law, 1999
- "Super Lawyer Rising Star"
- Volunteer Coach for Hamline University Mock Trial Team, 2004
- Member of Board of Directors of Criminal Defense Services Incorporated, 2003
- CLE (Lecture) on GERD (acid indigestion) as defense to breath tests, 2007
- CLE (Lecture) on DWI Defense from the constitutional perspective., 2005
- "Have Faith: Breath, Blood and Urine Tests implicate the 4th Amendment", The Challenger (MACDL Magazine)
- U.S. Supreme Court's Big New Decisions, Cell Phone Searches, 2014
- DWI Defense A to Z, DWI Defense, 2014
- The U.S. Supreme Court's Big New Decisions, 4th Amendment Consequences of GPS tracking, 2013
- Certified operator of Datamaster DMT-G, State of Minnesota, 2011
- Certified Intoxilyzer 5000 EN Operator, State of Minnesota, 2006
- President Of Minnesota Society For Criminal Justice
Office location for David J. Risk
7900 Xerxes Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55431
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 - 2011