Top Rated Employment & Labor Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
Josh Newville is a passionate and respected lawyer. He litigates cases, provides corporate advisory services, and serves as a mediator for civil cases in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Josh’s litigation practice focuses on employment law and civil rights. He handles high-profile cases, has secured millions of dollars for his clients, and has obtained victories at the Minnesota Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals. Early in his career, Josh led the successful fight for marriage equality in two U.S. States and won precedent-setting legal protections for vulnerable Minnesotans.
Josh subscribes to the adage that there’s a time to tear, and a time to mend. He launched MN Resolve with the goal of empowering parties to take control over the resolution of their disputes. He is a Rule 114 qualified mediator for civil cases, conducts internal investigations, and offers workplace dispute resolution services. Josh also counsels business – including serving as a board member, officer, and general counsel for a multi-million dollar manufacturing business with operations in three states.
Thomson Reuters has repeatedly recognized Josh as a Super Lawyers Rising Star, a distinction awarded to attorneys under 40 based on a combination of peer nominations and objective criteria. He is also included on the National Trial Lawyers list of Top 40 Under 40, was recognized nationally by The Advocate, and received the Equality & Justice Award from the MN Lavender Bar Association.
Josh is on the Federal Practice Committee for Minnesota’s U.S. District Court. He is also an ethics investigator, an adjunct law professor, and previously served on the MN board of the National Employment Lawyers Association.
Josh was born and raised in rural Wisconsin. He was the first person in his extended family to attend college, earning both his undergraduate and law degrees at the University of Minnesota. Prior to law school, Josh investigated organized retail crime and owned his own exterior residential painting business.
Josh lives in northeast Minneapolis with his husband and two dogs. In his spare time, he enjoys running, hiking, live music, baseball, and traveling.
- 20%Employment & Labor: Employee
- 20%Alternative Dispute Resolution
- 20%Civil Rights
- 20%Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Employment Law - Employee, Wage & Hour Laws, Whistleblower, Sexual Harassment, Police Misconduct, Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, Wrongful Termination, Retaliation
- Rising Stars: 2015 - 2022
About Joshua Newville
First Admitted: 2013, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: http://madianewville.com/about/attorney-profile/joshua-newvi...
- Federal Practice Committee, United States District Court
- Member, National LGBT Bar Association
- Member, Public Justice Foundation, 2021
- Member, Minnesota Association for Justice
- Member, Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Wisconsin Employment Lawyers Association
- Member, MN Chapter - National Employment Lawyers Association
- Investigator, 4th District Ethics Committee - Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility
- B.A., University of Minnesota, 2009
- J.D., cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School, 2012
Last Updated: 5/15/2022