Kate E. Jaycox
Top Rated Class Action & Mass Torts Attorney in Minneapolis, MN
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010 - 2014
- Free Consultation
Admitted to practice in Minnesota and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Kate E. Jaycox works out of the Minneapolis office of Robins Kaplan LLP, the national litigation law firm. She has handled a variety of complex civil matters for her clients across the country, including class actions and multidistrict litigation, and she has represented both plaintiffs and defendants. Ms. Jaycox has been with the firm for her entire career.
The types of cases that Ms. Jaycox has worked on have included defective drugs and medical devices, complex business disputes, personal injury and wrongful death litigation, mass torts, and financial investment products. In the latter area, she has represented individual and institutional investors as plaintiffs and banks and other financial companies as defendants. Ms. Jaycox headed up the litigation in which she represented plaintiffs who had been harmed by defective hip implants that were subsequently recalled, and the case ended up being settled for hundreds of millions of dollars nationwide. She was also part of the firm's team of plaintiffs' attorneys in a trial involving a treatment for Parkinson's disease that caused severe side effects, and a jury returned a verdict in excess of $8 million, including significant punitive damages imposed against the manufacturer for its failure to provide a warning of those risks.
Ms. Jaycox has received a great deal of recognition for her successful track record and high degree of ethics, including being selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. She has also been named a North Star Lawyer by the Minnesota State Bar Association for her pro bono legal services. A graduate of Northwestern University, Ms. Jaycox obtained her legal education at the University of Minnesota Law School and was awarded her Juris Doctor cum laude in 2004.
About Kate E. Jaycox
First Admitted: 2004, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.robinskaplan.com/lawyers/kate-jaycox
- Pulling Back the Regulatory Curtain: Tapping into FDA Resources to Investigate and Litigate Drug and Device Cases, American Association for Justice (AAJ) Winter Convention, Miami, Florida (February 2, 2019) Top 10 to Know about Drug & Device Law, Minnesota Association for Justice, Minneapolis, Minnesota (March 12, 2018) Mass Tort/Multi-District Litigation, Panel, Minnesota Association for Justice, Duluth, Minnesota (February 24, 2018) Stockert 3T Heater Litigation, Mass Torts Made Perfect, Las Vegas, Nevada (October 19, 2017) Best Practices in Increasing Diversity at Your Firm, American Association for Justice, Boston, Massachusetts (July 24, 2017) The Backbone of the Mass Tort – The ‘Second Chair’ Lawyers, American Association for Justice, Boston, Massachusetts (July 21, 2017) Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Systems, Mass Torts Made Perfect, Las Vegas, Nevada (April 28, 2017) Diversity in the Law: The Challenges and How to Overcome Them, American Association for Justice, Webinar (March 27, 2017) AAJ Education's Rapid Response: Stockert™ 3T Heater-Cooler System Litigation Update, American Association for Justice, Webinar (March 2, 2017) The Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Device and Litigation, American Association for Justice Stockert 3T Litigation Group, Austin, Texas (February 14, 2017) Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System Litigation Update, American Association for Justice Education, Miami, Florida (January 25, 2017) Diversity Committees: Mitigating Explicit and Implicit Bias in Associate Recruitment and Retention, American Association for Justice, Charlotte, North Carolina (November 30, 2016) Emerging Litigation in Mass Torts: Bravelle, HarrisMartin, Beverly Hills, California (June 22, 2016) How to Win Your Appeal at Trial, Panel Moderator, Minnesota Association for Justice, Minneapolis, Minnesota (May 23, 2016) When to (or Not to) Seek a Leadership Position in a Mass Tort MDL, Women Trial Lawyers Caucus Leadership Summit, Boca Raton, Florida (February 26, 2016) Elimination of Bias: Experiences of Native Americans in the Legal System, Panel Moderator, Minnesota Association of Justice, Duluth, Minnesota (February 19, 2016) Cyberbullying – a 21st Century Litigation Wave?, Robins Kaplan LLP Trial Advocacy Seminar, Minneapolis, Minnesota (October 6, 2015) Understanding and Eliminating Gender and Racial Bias in Jury Trials, CLE Co-Chair and Panel Moderator, Minnesota Association for Justice, Minneapolis, Minnesota (June 23, 2015) Keeping Products Liability Cases Economically Viable – From Efficient Discovery to Expert Control, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, Baltimore, Maryland (July 29, 2014) Understanding Punitive Damages, With Attorney Perspectives on Actos, Barclays, Webcast (May 28, 2014) CLE Chair and Presenter, Top 10 to Know About Drug and Device Law, How Not to Tank Your Case: Top 10 Things to Know About Other Areas of Law to Protect Your Clients and Your Practice, Minnesota Association for Justice, Minneapolis, Minnesota (October 18, 2013) Proportionality and Cost Shifting: Recent Case Law Requiring the Plaintiff to Pay, American Association for Justice Annual Convention, San Francisco, California (July 22, 2013) The New Rules of Civil Procedure: Expedited Motion Practice, Minnesota Association for Justice, Minneapolis, Minnesota (March 29, 2013) Dialysis with GranuFlo and NaturaLyte: Science and Discovery Presentation, HarrisMartin’s Dialysis Litigation Conference, Miami, Florida (November 2, 2012) Insult to Injury: Legislative Restrictions on Lawsuits Involving FDA Approved Drugs, Minnesota Association for Justice Annual Convention, Alexandria, Minnesota (August 18, 2012)
- Zwayer v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc.
- Charbonneau v. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Pfizer, Inc.
- In re Welfare of Children of R.A.J., 769 N.W. 2d 297 (Minn. Ct. App. July 21, 2009)
- Howerton v. Cargill, Inc. (D. Haw.): Representing Cargill, Incorporated in putative nationwide false-advertising class action concerning allegedly deceptive “natural” food labeling. Class settlement approved 2014. , 2014
- Lead the firm’s litigation representing 100+ individuals harmed by the recalled DePuy ASR hip implant. Two nationwide settlements reached thus far in the DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc, ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation (MDL 2197): one in November 2013 valued at approximately $2.5 billion and another in March 2015 valued at approximately $420 million. Litigation ongoing., 2015
- Northwestern University, B.A., History and Political Science, 1996
Pro bono/Community Service
- Represented 14-year-old child in deportation proceedings. Obtained T-Visa, designed for victims of severe forms of human trafficking, in 2016. Only about 500 T-Visas are granted annually., 2016
- Elected Chair of AAJ's Women Trial Lawyer Caucus, 2021
- Minnesota Association for Justice (MAJ): Vice-President, 2021-2022; Executive Committee, 2012 to present. Board of Governors, 2010- present. Co-Chair, PAC Committee, 2017-present. Co-Chair, Education Committee 2015-2017. Chair, Women for Justice, 2009-2011., 2022
- Board of Governors, American Association for Justice, 2012 to present , 2022
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
- Named to Best Lawyers in America (2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 editions), Best Lawyers in America , 2022
- , "Lawyer of the Year - Mass Tort/Class Actions - Plaintiff", Best Lawyers in America , 2021
- Named a "Minnesota Super Lawyer," Super Lawyers (2018-2021), "Minnesota Super Lawyers", Super Lawyers, 2021
- Received the "Above and Beyond Award," American Association for Justice (2018 and 2020), "Above and Beyond Award", American Association for Justice , 2020
- Member of the Year, Minnesota Association of Justice , 2017
- Named a North Star Lawyer for providing at least 50 hours of pro bono legal services, 2014 and 2016, North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2016
- Selected as one of 16 attorneys from across the country to participate in AAJ's 2016 Leadership Academy. Completed 6 days of leadership training in 2016., Leadership Academy Graduate, American Association for Justice, 2016
- Appointed by the Honorable F. Dennis Saylor IV (D. Mass) to the Plaintiff Steering Committee for In Re: Zofran, MDL 2657. 2015 to present., Plaintiff Steering Committee, In re Zofran MDL, 2015
- Named an Up & Coming Attorney by Minnesota Lawyer, 2014, Up & Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer , 2014
- Named a "Minnesota Rising Star," Super Lawyers (2010-2014), "Minnesota Rising Star", Super Lawyers, 2014
- Awarded the NLD (New Lawyers' Division) Excellence Award for 2013-2014, NLD Excellence Award, American Association for Justice, 2014
- Awarded the NLD (New Lawyers' Division) Excellence Award for 2012-2013, NLD Excellence Award, American Association for Justice, 2013
Last Updated: 5/15/2022