Kristy A. Fahland
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Minneapolis, MinnesotaMesserli | Kramer
Kristy A. Fahland is an attorney at the law firm Messerli | Kramer, which has its offices in Minneapolis, Minnesota. She represents clients with business and employment litigation matters, including commercial litigation, construction and real estate litigation, employment counseling, and fiduciary duty and shareholder claims. She is also a member of the law firm’s Business Litigation group.
With a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, Ms. Fahland graduated from the University of Minnesota. She went on to pursue law and obtained her Juris Doctor from the Mitchell Hamline School of Law. While in law school, she served as a primary editor of the Hamline Law Review.
Ms. Fahland is a dedicated and persistent attorney who has handled cases across the spectrum, from noncompete agreements to internal investigations and more. She is empathetic and understands the impact that workplace legal matters can have on an individual – financially and psychologically – and she serves as a tireless advocate for her clients’ rights both inside and outside the courtroom.
With immense experience in the legal field, Ms. Fahland has successfully taken on many cases, including having helped a contractor client obtain what was due to them when an insurance company denied coverage, and representing a client who was wrongfully charged with discrimination in the workplace.
Ms. Fahland has memberships in various organizations, including the Minnesota State Bar Association's Employment Law Section, the Hennepin County Bar Association and the Association of Women Contractors. She is licensed to practice in Minnesota and before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit.
Ms. Fahland was included in The (Real) Power 50 List by Minnesota Business magazine. She also has authored and co-authored many articles, which were published in various journals and magazines, including the CBIZ Banking & Financial Services and Quarterly Hot Topics. In addition, she has presented at numerous continuing legal education platforms about employment law-related matters.
Practice areasEmployment & labor: employer, Business litigation, Employment litigation: defense, Construction litigation: business
Wage & hour laws, Whistleblower, Sexual harassment, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, Employment discrimination
- 50% Employment & labor: employer
- 20% Business litigation
- 20% Employment litigation: defense
- 10% Construction litigation: business
First Admitted: 2005, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://messerlikramer.com/professional/kristy-a-fahland/
- Author, “Minneapolis Sick and Safety Leave Expanded to Employers Outside of Minneapolis” – Messerli Kramer, April 2019
- Presenter, “Employee Handbook 101” – Association of Women Contractors (AWC), July 27, 2016
- Presenter, “The #metoo Movement: Impact on Employers in 2018” – Messerli Kramer, February 22, 2018
- Presenter, “Employment Law in and around Drug Testing in the Workplace” – Association of Women Contractors (AWC), March 28, 2018
- Author, “Mingled Operations Could Cost You in Court” – Finance & Commerce, December 14, 2011
- Author, “Property Owners Making Hiring Decisions Face a Possible Conflict Between Minnesota Law and the new EEOC Guidelines” – Messerli Kramer, May 23, 2012
- Author, “Could you violate the National Labor Relations Act and not realize it?” – Messerli Kramer, Lit Bits, July 2012
- Author, “New Registration Law Impacts General Contractors and Their Subcontractors” – Messerli Kramer, Lit Bits, September 2012
- Author, “Legal Snag for Property Owners Who Hire Managers“- MMHA Advocate, 2012
- Author, “Resolve to Improve your HR Practices this Year” – Messerli Kramer, Employment Law Counselor, 2013
- Author, “Unpaid Internships May Ultimately Cost the Employer” – Messerli Kramer, Lit Bits, June 19, 2013
- Co-Author, “Current Trends and Best Practices in Employment Law – From Hiring to Firing and Everything in Between” – Messerli Kramer, October 23, 2013
- Co-Author, “The Impact of the DOL’s Proposed Changes to Overtime Pay” – Minnesota Bankers Association, MBA News, September/October 2015
- Author, “New Year, New NLRB for Non-Union Employers” – Messerli Kramer, Employment Law Counselor, January 2018
- Feature, “Preventing #MeToo from Becoming You Too” – CBIZ Banking & Financial Services, Quarterly Hot Topics, March 2018
- Co-Author, “Employment Law Update: Expanded Provisions of Women’s Economic Security Act” – Messerli Kramer, October 2021
- Author, “Minnesota Wage Theft Bill Goes into Effect on July 1st, 2019” – Messerli Kramer, July 2019
- Author, “Employers React to COVID-19” – Messerli Kramer, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Guidance for COVID-19 Business Disruption” – Messerli Kramer, March 2020
- Author, “DOL Expands Guidance on Families First Coronavirus Response Act” – Messerli Kramer, March 2020
- Co-Author, “Workforce Reductions in Light of COVID-19” – Messerli Kramer, April 2020
- Co-Author, “Calculating PPP Loan Forgiveness: What if an employee refuses to return to work?” – Messerli Kramer, May 2020
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers®, 2012-2015, 2020
- Member, Minnesota Business Magazine’s The (Real) Power 50, 2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Employment Law Section, Member
- Association of Women Contractors, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota B.A.
Office location for Kristy A. Fahland
100 South 5th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Super Lawyers: 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2015, 2020