Laura K. Fretland
Top rated Family Law attorney in Minneapolis, MinnesotaLommen Abdo, P.A.
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in Minnesota since: 1983
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
Lommen Abdo, P.A.920 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55402 Visit website
Laura K. Fretland is a family law attorney at the law firm Lommen Abdo, P.A., located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for which she is also a shareholder. Well-known for her dedication and tenacity with which she takes on cases, whether through a negotiated settlement, collaborative law, mediation or litigation, her areas of practice include:
- Child support
- Spousal support
- Property division
- Antenuptial agreements
Graduating summa cum laude, Ms. Fretland has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Concordia College. She received her Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School. She is licensed to practice in the state of Minnesota.
With over 39 years of legal experience, Ms. Fretland is an empathetic and compassionate attorney who understands the difficult time individuals go through when dealing with a divorce or another family law issue. She has a reputation for the legal counsel and advice she provides and her remarkable communication skills. Whether inside or outside the courtroom, she is a zealous and tireless advocate for her clients’ rights.
Ms. Fretland is actively involved with her community and has memberships in prominent legal associations, including the Minnesota Bar Association and the Hennepin County Bar Association’s Family Law Section, for which she also served as its past chair. She has spoken at the continuing legal education program of the 2010 Family Law Institute about “The Ethics of Limited Scope Representation.”
In addition, Ms. Fretland has written articles regarding family law and marital issues that have been published in renowned journals. Recognized for her remarkable legal contributions in the family law field, she has been selected to the list of Best Lawyers in the areas of family law and collaborative law by The Best Lawyers in America. She has also received a Distinguished* rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 1983, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://lommen.com/professionals/laura-k-fretland/
- Concordia College, B.A. in Political Science, summa cum laude, 1980
- “The Ethics of Limited Scope Representation,” The 2010 Family Law Institute, Minnesota CLE, March 2010, Presenter, The Ethics of Limited Scope Representation, Minnesota CLE, 2010
- “Marital Issues,” Chapter 7, Elder Law Handbook, Fourth Edition, Minnesota CLE, December 2018, Author, "Marital Issues," Chapter 7, Elder Law Handbook, Fourth Edition, Minnesota CLE, 2018
- “Special Circumstances in Family Law,” Chapter 25, Minnesota Divorce Practice Deskbook with eFormbook, Second Edition, Minnesota CLE, October 2021, Author, “Special Circumstances in Family Law,” Chapter 25, Minnesota Divorce Practice Deskbook, Second Edition, Minnesota CLE, Family Law, 2021
- Taught Ante Nuptial Agreements and Elder Law, CLE, Presenter, Antenuptial Agreements and Elder Law
- Rated Distinguished™ for high professional achievement by Martindale-Hubbell., Distinguished™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, Martindale-Hubbell, 2022
- Best Lawyers since 2014, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2022
- Minnesota Super Lawyer, 2005 to present, Minnesota Super Lawyer, Thomsen Reuters, 2022
- Top Women Lawyers
- Hennepin County Bar Association, 2022
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 2022
- Member, Collaborative Law Institute, 2022
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota in 1983., 2022
- Co-chair of the Hennepin County Bar Association Family Law Section
Office location for Laura K. Fretland
920 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- Super Lawyers: 1998 - 2000, 2005 - 2023
These comments were made by fellow attorneys during the annual nomination process.
“Laura is a very knowledgeable and caring attorney, who obtains excellent results for her clients.”