Charles A. Bird
Top rated business litigation attorney in Rochester, MinnesotaBird, Stevens & Borgen
Practice Areas: Business litigation, Products liability, Workers' compensation
Licensed in Minnesota since: 1973
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
Bird, Stevens & Borgen300 3rd Ave SE
Rochester, MN 55904 Visit website
Attorney Charles A. Bird founded the Bird, Stevens & Borgen, P.C., law firm in 1987, and he serves as the firm's president and managing partner. Working out of the firm's law offices in Bloomington and Rochester, Minnesota, Mr. Bird represents a diverse range of clients throughout the south Minneapolis metro region and surrounding area who have legal needs involving workers' compensation, personal injury, commercial litigation or some other civil litigation.
Certified as a civil trial specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association and the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Bird has more than 46 years of legal experience. He has handled over 50 jury trials and more than 100 appeals over the course of his career.
During that time, he has achieved considerable success advocating for the rights and entitlements of his plaintiff clients, securing millions of dollars in settlements and awards on their behalves along with defending the rights and interests of business owners embroiled in complex litigation. He has also become a recognized leader in agricultural commercial loss litigation and products liability.
A 1970 graduate of the University of Minnesota, Mr. Bird returned to his alma mater and obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1973. He holds his license to practice in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th and Federal Circuit, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Active in his legal community, Mr. Bird has served as Dean Emeritus of the Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers since 1991, and he has served as a member of the Minnesota Association for Justice's Amicus Committee since 1979. He is also a former chair for the Minnesota State Bar Association's Civil Litigation Section, and he once served on the Minnesota Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure.
Furthermore, Mr. Bird is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American Association for Justice, the Olmsted County Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association, among his other professional affiliations.
Practice areasBusiness litigation, Personal injury - products: plaintiff, Workers' compensation: claimant
- 50% Business litigation
- 30% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
- 20% Workers' compensation: claimant
First Admitted: 1973, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.birdjacobsen.com/attorney/bird-charles-a/
- Olmsted County Bar Association
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Association for Justice
- Federal Bar Association, 2005 - Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Minnesota Supreme Court , Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Procedure, 2005 - 2013
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member (ongoing) / Chair, Civil Litigation Section (2013-2014), 1974 - Present
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1982
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member Amicus Committee, 1979 - Present
- Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers, Dean Emeritus, 1991 - Present
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1995
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1978
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1975
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1975
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 1991
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1973
- Minnesota, 1973
- Wisconsin, 1975
- SuperLawyer - Minnesota, 2003 - 2014
- Minnesota Attorney of the Year - Minnesota Lawyer, 2014
- Kronebusch v. M.V.B.A. Harvestor System, Inc., 488 NW 2d 490 (Minn. Ct. App. 1992)
- Siewert v. Northern States Power Co., 793 NW 2d 272 (Minn 2011)
- Schmidt v. Northern States Power Co., 305 Wis. 2d 538, 742 N. W. 294 (Wis. 2007)
- Vikse v. Flaby, 316 NW 2d 276 (Minn 1982)
- Martin ex rel. Hoff v. City of Rochester, 642 NW 2d 1 (Minn. 2002)
- Medicaid Liens: Martin, Ahlborn & Beyond
- Minnesota Trial Magazine, Volume 32 (1) Winter, 2007
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, B.S., 1970, Major: Business Finance, Major: Accounting
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota, J.D.
- Civil Trial Specialist, NBTA, 1993
Office location for Charles A. Bird
300 3rd Ave SE
Rochester, MN 55904
- Super Lawyers: 1994, 1996 - 1997, 2002 - 2023
Top ListsTop 100: Minnesota Super Lawyers: 2008
Certificates and credentials