Top rated criminal defense attorney in Shoreview, MinnesotaBushnell & Best, PLLC
Practice Areas: Criminal defense, DUI-DWI
Licensed in Minnesota since: 2005
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
As the founder of The Bushnell Law Firm, LLC, Anthony Bushnell offers representation for all of the Twin Cities, including Minneapolis, St. Paul and the surrounding areas in Minnesota. He focuses his practice on criminal defense, handling all felony and misdemeanor charges, as well as criminal and civil appellate cases. He has completed numerous criminal jury trials and bench trials, handled hundreds of cases in pre-trial stage, and argued cases before the Minnesota Court of Appeals. He is also an experienced civil trial attorney and handles many litigation matters including orders for protection and harassment restraining orders. The complex interaction of DWI and DUI criminal charges with civil driver's license penalties and administrative sanctions has been an area of special emphasis in his defense work, providing clients a full representation that addresses the criminal process and the license and vehicle problems.
Trial practice has been a passion for Mr. Bushnell for nearly 20 years, reflected in all of his college and law school training. He received his legal education at the University of Minnesota Law School, which is consistently ranked among the top 20 law schools in the United States. He graduated with honors in 2005 and was admitted to the Minnesota State Bar that same year. During law school, Mr. Bushnell served in the school's law clinic helping victims of domestic violence seek civil protection orders. He also worked for the office of a city attorney, handling traffic prosecutions. This amplified skills and experience already gained by working in several law firms before law school and competing at the national level in college mock trial for years, earning numerous awards.
Over the years, Mr. Bushnell has used his experiences to aggressively fight for his clients' rights and obtain positive resolutions. One of his successes was the overturning of a civil order for protection by the Minnesota Court of Appeals where the person who took out the order never served any notice to the respondent. Mr. Bushnell argued that law enforcement should have served his client with a notice of the filing, rather than simply putting the notice in a publication. The appellate court agreed and stated that law enforcement must make an attempt to contact a person before publishing the notice.
Beyond his private law practice, Mr. Bushnell is actively involved in the legal community. He serves as the secretary on the council of the Solo and Small Firm section of the Minnesota State Bar Association and has been a council member or CLE committee member for several years. His memberships include the Criminal Law and Civil Litigation sections of the MSBA, the Hennepin County Bar Association, and the Anoka Bar Association. Mr. Bushnell has presented at many continuing legal education seminars on criminal law, evidence, and trial practice and has organized a number of other CLE seminars with judges and outstanding attorneys from the profession.
Volunteer work is a priority for Mr. Bushnell, as is spending time speaking with and mentoring law students. He has volunteered at the Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid clinic and served as the vice president and a board member for the Christian Legal Society of Minnesota. He is adjunct faculty for the law enforcement training program at The University of Northwestern - Saint Paul, and he served as an adjunct Lawyering Program Instructor at the University of Minnesota Law School for the 2009-2010 class year.
First Admitted: 2005, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.bushnellbest.com/anthony-bushnell
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Criminal Law section Chair 2019-2020
- Minnesota Chapter of Christian Legal Society, Board Member 2007-2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Civil Litigation section
- Anoka County Bar Association
- Federal District Court
- Christian Legal Society - National Board of Directors, 2015
- Minnesota Source Code Coalition, Member
- Minnesota State Bar, 2005
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Chapter of Christian Legal Society, Vice-President 2011-2013
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section - Chair of Section Council, 2015-2016
- Tina Ayala v. Carlos Ayala, 749 N.W.2d 817 (Minn. App. 2008) (Appellate Court File No. A07-657)
- Volunteered his time at the Twin Cities Christian Legal Aid Clinic
- University of Minnesota Law School, 2005
- Graduate of First Annual Trial School, Criminal Justice Institute (Minnesota CLE), 2009
- Top 100 Trial Attorney in Criminal Defense, National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Presenter and Organizer, Criminal Issues for Civil, Business, and Family Attorneys, MSBA Solo and Small Firm Section, 2015
- Presenter for workshop at National Conference in New Orleans, LA, Honoring God, Truth, and Justice as a Criminal Defense Attorney, Christian Legal Society, 2015
- Adjunct Lawyering Program Instructor at the University of Minnesota Law School, 2009-2010
- Adjunct faculty for the law enforcement training program at The University of Northwestern - Saint Paul
- Co-presented best practices and pitfalls to watch for when an OFP, DANCO, or HRO hearing happens alongside a family court divorce or custody case., Presenter, The Intersection of Family & Criminal Law, Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section, 2014
- Moderator and Organizer, What Non-Criminal Attorneys Need to Know about DWI Law: How to Get Your Clients the Best Help, Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section, 2014
- Explained recent United States Supreme Court decision in Missouri v. McNeely and how it will affect Minnesota law enforcement and DWI arrests., Presenter, Updates you need to know in Family, Civil, and Criminal Law, Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section, 2013
- Presenter, How to Get Your Evidence In: What's Admissible and What Isn't, and What to Do About It, Minnesota State Bar Association, Solo and Small Firm Section, 2012
- Super Lawyers: 2019 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2014 - 2015