John T. Arechigo
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in St. Paul, MN
Selected to Rising Stars: 2017 - 2019
Attorney John Arechigo has a passion for criminal defense. He devotes nearly 100% of his practice to defending individuals charged with a crime. John is well-connected within the Minnesota criminal defense community. He has a number of valuable resources readily available to his clients, including expert investigators, chemical and mental health experts, sentencing experts and other legal professionals.
John is very accessible to his clients. He strives to keep in close contact with his clients while working on their case. He frequently passes along his cell phone number and does not hesitate to take a client’s call outside of typical office hours, including nights and weekends.
John was named Attorney of the Year in 2015 after he successfully challenged the unconsitutionality of Minnesota's former criminal defamation statute. He was again named an Attorney of the Year in 2019 after convincing the Minnesota Supreme Court that two of Minnesota's stalking and harassment laws were unconstitutional. John also secured an acquittal at a March 2019 trial for a client accused of making Threats of Violence against his former employer. Additional successes include dismissed charges of felony animal cruelty, terroristic threats, ten counts of theft by swindle, criminal sexual conduct, domestic assault and DWI.
John is admitted to practice in Minnesota and North Dakota, and before the United States District Court for the Districts of Minnesota and North Dakota. He is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Ramsey County Bar Association, and the State Bar Association of North Dakota. He also currently serves as the managing attorney for the Dakota County Criminal Defense Panel and is a former council member for the MSBA Criminal Law Section.
About John T. Arechigo
First Admitted: 2006, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://arechigo-stokka.com/john-t-arechigo/
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Quoted in the Star Tribune following victory at the Court of Appeals
- Quoted in City Pages discussing constitutionality of Minnesota’s Criminal Defamation Statute
- State of Minnesota
- MSBA Criminal Law Section, Council Member, 2011 - 2012
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota, 2016
- State of North Dakota
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)
- State Bar Association of North Dakota (SBAND), 2007
- Ramsey County Bar Association (RCBA)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA), 2006
- United States District Court, District of North Dakota, 2016
- University of Minnesota, Bachelor of Arts, Majors: Political Science and Criminal Justice, 1998
Pro bono/Community Service
- Dakota County Criminal Defense Panel, Managing attorney, 2010
- Speaker, Minnesota Criminal Defamation and Revenge Porn, MN County Attorney's Association, 2016
- Speaker, Minnesota’s Criminal Defamation Statute and Revenge Porn, MSBA, 2015
- Recognized for work in A.J.B. at the Minnesota Supreme Court and acquittal at trial in State v. Arntson., Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2019
- Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer, 2015
- In re the welfare of A.J.B. Convictions reversed. Minnesota Supreme Court declares two of Minnesota's stalking and harassment laws unconstitutional., 2019
- Threats of Violence acquittal. Not guilty verdict after week-long jury trial for client facing felony charge of Threats of Violence (formerly known as Terorristic Threats). https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/08/fired-kstp-tv-worker-found-not-guilty-of-making-threats-of-violence/, 2019
- State v. Turner. Court of Appeals declares Minnesota's former criminal defamation statute unconstitutional., 2015
Last Updated: 5/15/2022