Kirstin E. Helmers
Top rated estate & trust litigation attorney in St. Paul, MinnesotaMason & Helmers
Attorney Kirstin E. Helmers is a partner with Mason & Helmers law firm in St. Paul, Minnesota. A top-rated trial attorney with more than 13 years of legal experience, Ms. Helmers provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout the greater Twin Cities metro and all across the state who have legal needs involving probate and trust litigation, fiduciary litigation, wills and trusts contests, contested guardianships and conservatorships, and other related matters.
Understanding how inheritance matters can involve a lot of tension and emotional conflict among family members, Ms. Helmers maintains a firm but compassionate approach when dealing with her clients in order to help them make the best-informed decisions about their cases. Always seeking to help her clients resolve their disputes and come to agreeable terms as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible, she often uses mediation or informal negotiations to handle her clients' issues instead of automatically resorting to costly and stressful court battles.
Whether inside or outside the courtroom, Ms. Helmers keeps her clients' rights and best interests at the forefront of her efforts as she works aggressively to help them achieve the favorable outcomes they expect and deserve. Honored for her impeccable professionalism and outstanding service to her clients, she has earned top rankings and endorsements from her peers along with many testimonials and referrals from those she has served.
A 2003 cum laude graduate of Columbia University with a Bachelor of Arts in Russian history, Ms. Helmers obtained her Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School in 2007. The Minnesota State Bar Association admitted her to practice that same year, and she is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
A leader in her field, Ms. Helmers has written extensively and facilitated classes and seminars involving a wide range of legal topics related to probate and trust litigation. She also serves as chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association's Probate and Trust Section as well as its Dispute Resolution Committee, and she assists with planning the Minnesota Probate and Trust Section Conference. She is also a member of the Ramsey County and Hennepin County Bar Associations.
Practice areasEstate & trust litigation
- 100% Estate & trust litigation
First Admitted: 2007, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.rodneyjmason.com/attorney/kirstin-e-helmers/
- Minnesota Probate and Trust Section Conference, Planning Committee Member
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- Probate and Trust Law Section, Minnesota State Bar Association – Litigation and Dispute Resolution Committee, Chair
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Ramsey County Bar Association, Member
- Important Considerations for End-of-Life and Incapacity Planning panel, Minnesota Probate and Trust Section Conference, June 7, 2016
- Powers of Attorney: Uses and Abuses, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education Planning and Drafting for Small Estates Seminar, December 1, 2015
- Trusts 101: Ethical Considerations, National Business Institute, May 17, 2016
- Protecting the PR’s Assets: An Overview for Lawyers, Minnesota State Bar Association Solo-Small Section, April 24, 2018 (with Rodney J. Mason)
- When Family Love Turns to Family Feud: The Judges Speak, MSBA Probate & Trust Law Section Litigation Committee CLE, February 14, 2017 (co-moderator with Steven M. Sitek)
- Litigation in Estate, Probate, and Trusts, Minnesota CLE The Complete Estate, Probate, and Trust Lawyer book and seminar, March 28, 2017 (with Pamela D. Steinle)
- Balancing Rights of Inheritance: Exempt Property, Family Allowances, Premarital Wills, and other Legislative Changes in 2016, Ramsey County Bar Association, March 29, 2017 (with Rodney J. Mason)
- The Capacity Panel – Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Capacity but Forgot to Ask, Minnesota Probate and Trust Section Conference and Legal Quick Sheet, June 12, 2017 (with Susan A. King and Jennifer A. Lammers)
- Beneficiary Designations: Uses and Abuses, Ramsey County Bar Association, October 12, 2017
- Undue Influence and Capacity Issues in Real Estate Conveyances, Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 3, 2017 (with Anton Cheskis)
- Probate and Trust Disputes: The Litigator’s Guide to the Galaxy, November 28, 2018 (course chair)
- Special Proceedings and Probate, Minnesota CLE Webcast, May 7, 2018 (with Karen Cole and Thomas J. Radio)
- Beneficiary Designations: Uses and Abuses, Probate and Trust Section Conference, June 4, 2018 (with Susan A. King)
- Litigation in Estate, Probate, and Trusts, Minnesota CLE The Complete Estate, Probate, and Trust Lawyer book and seminar, September 25, 2018 (with Pamela D. Steinle)
- Homestead Sweet Homestead: A Guide to a Surviving Spouse’s Exempt Property Rights under the Minnesota Probate Code, Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 1, 2018 (with Anton Cheskis)
- Probate Litigation Lessons for Real Estate Lawyers, Minnesota Real Estate Institute, November 1, 2019 (with Spencer Butts)
- Just, Fair, Reasonable, and Necessary: The Current Landscape of Attorneys’ Fees in Probate Court Proceedings, Minnesota State Bar Association Probate and Trust Section, October 24, 2019 (moderator, with Susan A. King, Kim Ruckdashel-Haley, and Alan I. Silver)
- Columbia University, New York City, New York
Office location for Kirstin E. Helmers
332 Minnesota St.
St. Paul, MN 55101
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023