Patrick H. O'Neill, Jr.
Top rated professional liability attorney in St. Paul, MinnesotaLarson • King, LLP
Practice Areas: Professional liability, Business litigation, Construction litigation; view more
Licensed in Minnesota since: 1990
Education: William Mitchell College of Law
Larson • King, LLP30 E 7th St
St. Paul, MN 55101 Visit website
An attorney at Larson King, LLP, Patrick H. O’Neill, Jr., represents clients in the Twin Cities metropolitan area and throughout the state of Minnesota. His legal practice areas include professional liability, insurance law, health care law, financial services, cyber risk and data security, construction law, business litigation and legal malpractice. With over 25 years of experience, he has handled disputes in a long list of industries, including the insurance sector, the construction industry and banking.
Mr. O’Neill was named one of the National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 and is included in America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators in 2019. With extensive trial experience, he has handled many types of cases, including the following: noncompete agreements, severance packages, employment contracts, failure to deliver goods and services, shareholder and partnership disputes, attorney fee disputes, collections, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and attorney negligence.
A graduate of St. Olaf College, he earned his Bachelor of Arts in 1986, then attended law school. In 1990, he graduated from the William Mitchell College of Law with his Juris Doctor and is now admitted to practice in Wisconsin, North Dakota and Minnesota, and pro hac vice in Iowa. Mr. O’Neill is also admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit and the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
He is a member of a long list of professional organizations. These include the following: the American Association for Justice, the Minnesota Association for Justice, the American Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Ramsey County Bar Association.
Practice areasProfessional liability: plaintiff, Business litigation, Construction litigation: business, Estate & trust litigation, Insurance coverage
Legal malpractice, Professional malpractice - other, Ethics & professional responsibility, Non-compete agreements, Construction defects, Will contests, Insurance
- 60% Professional liability: plaintiff
- 10% Business litigation
- 10% Construction litigation: business
- 10% Estate & trust litigation
- 10% Insurance coverage
First Admitted: 1990, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.larsonking.com/attorney/patrick-h-oneill-jr/
- Unavoidable Unsafe Products and the Design Defect Theory: An Analysis of Applying Comment K to Strict Liability & Negligence Claims, William Mitchell Law Review, Vol. 15, No. 4, 1989
- Notable Legal Malpractice Recoveries 1) 2007 a) $375,000 recovery arising out of the negligent advice given to a corporation relative to the need for a preemptive notice to be sent to existing shareholders prior to selling stock to a third party. b) $200,000 recovery arising out of the negligent advice relative to an irrevocable life insurance trust which caused excess estate taxes to be paid by the beneficiaries. c) $128,000 recovery arising out of an attorney's failure to file the requisite UCC-1 to perfect a security interest which would have determined priority after a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Petition was filed. d) $95,000 recovery arising out of a negligent closing argument wherein the insurer's lawyer suggested a verdict in excess of the available policy limits. 2) 2000-2006 a) $250,000 recovery arising out of negligently drafting and securitization of assets. b) $180,000 recovery arising out of 1031 real estate transaction that resulted in capital gains taxes. c) $250,000 recovery arising out of negligently handled trial with closing argument being given by drunk lawyer. d) $115,000 recovery arising out of negligently handled Chapter 11 bankruptcy in restaurant business. e) $40,000 recovery arising out of missed statute of limitations for injured railroad worker.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals – 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- North Dakota
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota Association for Justice (formerly MTLA)
- St Olaf College, B.A., 1986
Office location for Patrick H. O'Neill, Jr.
30 E 7th St
St. Paul, MN 55101
- Super Lawyers: 2000, 2002, 2008, 2021 - 2023
Additional sources of information about Patrick H. O'Neill, Jr.
Find me online
- Welcome, Grace! Grace F. Jacobson has joined Larson • King and will focus her practice on employment law, business… https://t.co/uPMITZSDKf
- Congratulations to Kevin McCarthy on joining the partnership at Larson • King. Kevin’s litigation and trial practic… https://t.co/ddLFu69NPg
- From the icy north, happy holidays to our clients and friends! View our video holiday greeting on our website at… https://t.co/96pqFEqiV1