Richmond H. McCluer, Jr.
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Winona, MinnesotaPrice, McCluer & Plachecki
Richmond H. McCluer Jr. is a staunch criminal defense attorney serving clients in Olmsted, Winona, Wabasha, Houston, Fillmore and Goodhue counties of Minnesota. A partner at the law firm of Price, McCluer & Plachecki, his criminal defense client base is made up of those who have been accused of major charges such as homicide, criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, robbery, controlled substances crimes, assault, murder as well as misdemeanor offenses.
Board-certified as a criminal law specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association, Mr. McCluer understands that a criminal accusation can cause significant turmoil in a person’s life and hamper their ability to live normally. He has handled hundreds of jury trials over his career spanning four decades, securing several charge dismissals and acquittals. He also assists clients with personal injury matters.
Hailing from Winona, Minnesota, Mr. McCluer graduated magna cum laude with his Bachelor of Arts degree from Winona State University in 1976. Later in 1982, he received his Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Minnesota Law School. He was authorized to practice law in Minnesota the same year.
With a genuine concern for his community, Mr. McCluer offered legal services to the needy as a Chief Trial Lawyer at the Third Judicial District Public Defender's Office for 10 years. He also worked as an adjunct professor for over two decades at Winona State University, where he taught constitutional criminal law and Japanese karate.
Additionally, Mr. McCluer is a member of the Winona County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council; a board member of Japan Karate-Do Genbu-kai of Minnesota; the president of Winona Area Humane Society; and the legal adviser of Winona Sportsmen’s Club. For his outstanding pro bono services, he was named the "Volunteer Attorney of the Year" by Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services and given the Clarence Gideon Award by the 3rd Judicial District Public Defender’s Office.
A former president of the Winona County Bar Association, Mr. McCluer is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Minnesota Association for Justice.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Assault & battery, Misdemeanor, Murder, Sex offenses, Personal injury - plaintiff
- 90% Criminal defense
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1982, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: https://www.the-trial-lawyers.com/attorney_Richmond_McCluer....
- Minnesota State Bar Association Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist
- Holds instructor ranks in traditional Japanese karate and classical Japanese sword arts
- State of Minnesota v. Burbach, 706 N.W. 2d 484 (Minn. 2005)
- Adjunct Professor, Winona State University - Criminal Law, Evidence
- Past President, Winona County Bar Association, 2005-2009, Member, Winona County Bar Association, Minnesota State Bar Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Minnesota Association for Justice
- Criminal Law, Federal Rules of Evidence and Japanese Karate, Faculty of Winona State University
- Recipient, Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2005 - 2018
- Felony Trial Lawyer of the Year, Third Judicial District Public Defender, 1995
- For contribution to Rotary International's efforts to eradicate polio through the Polio Plus Fund of the Rotary Foundation and maintaining the high professional and personal standards set forth by Paul Harris., Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International , 2015
- Awarded for outstanding service to the cause of indigent defense, Clarence Gideon Award, 3rd Judicial District Public Defenders Office, 2001
- Felony Trial Lawyer of the Year, Third Judicial District Public Defender, 2000
- Awarded for exceptional pro bono service, Volunteer Attorney of the Year, Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, 1992
- Recognized as Trial Defender of the Year for outstanding service to the Minnesota Public Defender system, Minnesota Public Defender Association, 1995
- Winona Senior High School, 1972
- Winona State University, B.A., Honors: magna cum laude, 1976
- President and Board Member, Winona Area Humane Society, 2019
- Legal Advisor - Winona Sportsmans Club, 2019
- President, Board Member and Instructor - Japan Karate-Do Genbu-Kai of Minnesota, 2019
- Member, Winona County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
Office location for Richmond H. McCluer, Jr.
59 West Third Street
Winona, MN 55987
- Super Lawyers: 2003, 2005 - 2023
Certificates and credentials