James E. Malters
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in Worthington, MinnesotaMalters, Shepherd & Von Holtum
Practice Areas: Personal Injury, Business Litigation, Construction Litigation
Licensed in Minnesota since: 1979
Education: University of Minnesota Law School
Malters, Shepherd & Von Holtum727 Oxford Street
Worthington, MN 56187 Visit website
Attorney James E. Malters is a partner with the Malters, Shepherd & Von Holtum Law Office, in Worthington, Minnesota. Board certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by both the Minnesota State Bar Association and the National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Malters has more than 40 years of total legal experience. He devotes his practice to helping those who suffered an injury or loss caused by someone else's negligence obtain the full amount of compensation for the damages they incurred.
Representing plaintiff personal injury and wrongful death victims throughout southern Minnesota, Mr. Malters has achieved considerable success advocating on behalf of those suffering through no fault of their own. Over the course of his career, he has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements well in excess of a million dollars, earning his membership in the Minnesota Million-Dollar Round Table.
Among his most notable successes, he secured a verdict of more than $2.6 million in a dram shop liability case and a settlement of over $2 million for a bone marrow transplant patient whose insurance company failed to provide necessary coverage. He also obtained an award of $2.3 million for the heirs of a man killed in a trucking accident and a $1.9 million award for the surviving family of a man who died after contracting food-borne hepatitis.
Recognized for his exemplary professionalism and success both inside and outside the courtroom, Mr. Malters holds an AV-Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell along with designation as one of Minnesota's Top Attorneys from Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine. Moreover, Who’s Who in Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Resource Guide to Minnesota Attorneys named him among the Top 40 Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Attorneys in Minnesota in 2009, and he received the Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Personal injury Attorneys in 2015 and 2016.
A 1976 honors graduate of St. John's University, Mr. Malters obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1979. He holds his license to practice in South Dakota and Iowa as well as Minnesota, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota and the District of South Dakota.
A leader in his field, Mr. Malters has conducted numerous lectures and seminars across his region on a variety of topics. He also co-authored the Minnesota Cause of Action Manual and the Minnesota State District Court Practice Handbook. Furthermore, he has served on the board of governors of the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Minnesota Association for Justice, and he is a member of the American Association for Justice and the Iowa Association for Justice, among his other professional affiliations.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Business Litigation, Construction Litigation: Business
- 80% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 10% Business Litigation
- 10% Construction Litigation: Business
First Admitted: 1979, Minnesota
Professional Webpage: http://www.msvlawoffice.com/attorneys/james-e-malters/
- Client Satisfaction Award in 2015 and 2016 from the American Institute of Personal injury Attorneys
- Top 40 Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Attorneys in Minnesota by the 2009 Who’s Who
- Top Attorneys in Minnesota by Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine in August 2013
- Minnesota Law & Politics as a “Super Lawyer” since 2000
- Minnesota’s Leading Attorneys since 1997
- Minnesota Million-Dollar Round Table member since 1993
- Minnesota Cause of Action Manual, published by MNAJ and the Minnesota State District Court Practice Handbook, published by Minnesota CLE, Co-Author
- Recent President of the local Chamber of Commerce
- Minnesota Association for Justice Member
- National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1990
- Iowa Association for Justice Member
- American Association for Justice Member
- Past Member of MNAJ Board of Governors
- Past Member of MSBA Board of Governors
- Minnesota State Bar Association Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court, District of South Dakota
- Iowa State Bar
- Minnesota State Bar
- South Dakota State Bar
- St. John’s University, Collegeville, MN, 1976, B.S.
Office location for James E. Malters
727 Oxford Street
Worthington, MN 56187
- Super Lawyers: 1997, 1999 - 2023
Certificates and credentials